Sponsored by:

Help with 991.1 GT3 purchase please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 PM
camdon
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help with 991.1 GT3 purchase please

Looking at a 2015 991 GT3. Are there over rev reports or anything in particular I need to look out for on these? Just sold my 2012 997TT and NEED a GT3 in my life
Found a Yellow one with options I like. Would love your thoughts on these cars.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:37 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

No over revs on the PDK cars - your all set. Enjoy the car!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:46 PM
camdon
Racer

So nothing but the normal? Paint work,blemishes,tires,brakes? How can I check if still under warranty? Did 2015 have issues like 2014 cars?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:54 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Find out what series engine is in the car and determine if has been replaced. Not that is matters with the extended engine warranty, however if the engine has been replaced the car is not original. This may or may not matter to you. Check with Porsche dealer for the in-service date to determine how much of the factory warranty is remaining. Check service records on Carfax to start.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

These are great cars and hard to go wrong. Normal due diligence- Carfax, PPI, etc. Browse the thread on the COG subject. Yes there are potential engine issues with finger follower wear. The good news is depending on in-service date, you have engine warranty until at least late 2024. Worst case is some inconvenience. If you plan to track the car (HPDE) I would ask seller for representation/documentation of prior track use as there are mileage driven maintenance items for CLs, hubs, bearings. Best of luck.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:19 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
These are great cars and hard to go wrong. Normal due diligence- Carfax, PPI, etc. Browse the thread on the COG subject. Yes there are potential engine issues with finger follower wear. The good news is depending on in-service date, you have engine warranty until at least late 2024. Worst case is some inconvenience. If you plan to track the car (HPDE) I would ask seller for representation/documentation of prior track use as there are mileage driven maintenance items for CLs, hubs, bearings. Best of luck.
This ^^^.

I'd want to see complete service records and also understand it's track use. When I sold my RS I provided both including detailed info on track use and maintenance. That way the next owner knew what to expect particularly on the hub maintenance.

Note: If you end up buying a .1 GT3 send me a PM and I'll provide some interesting maintenance information in PDFs.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would actually ask for DME "rev report" just in case, it cant hurt and doesn't cost anything. From what I read (and I could be wrong), you could over rev PDK in certain situations and remember, if this "rare" occurrence happened and engine hits Range 4-6 on DME report, Porsche may not replace and/or repair the engine due to this, so yo have nothing to lose by getting the report. I actually pulled my own DME report on my MT GTS just to see what this looked like and what could occur, so talk to Porsche rep, again, what do you have to lose?

see you tube video I watched actually yesterday:

happy shopping!!

A
Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 PM
camdon
Racer

Thanks guys

In service 2/2/18

No notes on Carfax about an engine replacement. So no warranty?

Cant get service records from selling dealer. Sucks because its my color and options I have been looking for. (Yellow)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:53 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^camdon ,
fwiw my 15 has been bulletproof thus far (aside from low fuel tigerring limp on track . )
The car you are looking you state a 15 , so guessing not at a Porsche Dealer being offered for sale , looking at your signature you must have a relationship
with a local P dealer or establish that with a visit to the service dept. with the vin for the 15 you are interested in to find out what service history and in service
date is in P system for the car in question , the motor now has a 10yr/120k PCNA engine warranty for engine internals from original in service date , and you may have some of the last 4 year warranty still in effect . I would try and contact the original owner if possible to establish history and care . as Zedcat and tstaford have mention key to know t miles for proper maintenance schedule for that use and to maintain compliance .
If it were my car up for sale i would be thrilled to share knowledge with a perspective buy for the car.
I think there's a lot of performance and value for the Buck with 15's .
Best and GL in the hunt
Old 06-20-2018, 11:10 PM
camdon
Racer

Thanks so much Deacon. I just made a post looking for a different one as I would prefer (as you guys stated) to buy one privately with some history. This one not totally out of the question yet.
Thanks again
Old 06-21-2018, 12:11 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by camdon
Thanks guys

In service 2/2/18

No notes on Carfax about an engine replacement. So no warranty?

Cant get service records from selling dealer. Sucks because its my color and options I have been looking for. (Yellow)
Did you mean in-service date of 2/2/15? If so then there is full factory warranty until 2/2/19, and the engine warranty til 2/2/25. A few times I have gotten dealers to tell me orally the service history of used cars without disclosing the prior owners. Have you run a Carfax? Not perfect but often will show dealer service.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 PM
naptownmike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have two unused carfax reports if you need one let me know.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:13 PM
NytRydr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naptownmike
I will take you up on this. Let me know if I should sent you the VIN here or email it to you. Much appreciated.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:19 PM
camdon
Racer

Originally Posted by naptownmike
Thanks Mike for the offer. I have a friend with an account. Much appreciated.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:53 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aku700
I would actually ask for DME "rev report" just in case, it cant hurt and doesn't cost anything. From what I read (and I could be wrong), you could over rev PDK in certain situations and remember, if this "rare" occurrence happened and engine hits Range 4-6 on DME report, Porsche may not replace and/or repair the engine due to this, so yo have nothing to lose by getting the report. I actually pulled my own DME report on my MT GTS just to see what this looked like and what could occur, so talk to Porsche rep, again, what do you have to lose?

see you tube video I watched actually yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27gcWpYexz8&t=277s

happy shopping!!

A
I would always ask for the DME, specially in the 14-15-16 engines to see the misfire count...

Quick Reply: Help with 991.1 GT3 purchase please