Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual stalling .2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:57 AM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No bloody wonder that 99 % of 911 production is no longer manual. 101 people arguing about manual vs pdk &, yet lots of people here complaining that they struggle with a clutch pedal.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 533 Posts

our body a lot of time functions from memory, so I think your brain has the GTS clutch in memory, and needs to adjust to the GT3 clutch .
It happened to me multiple times whenever i have more than one MT car in the garage
solution: drive the GT3 more
Old 06-14-2018, 09:08 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I m sure the clutch must have an assistance spring of some sort. Remove whatever is between the pedal and the actual clutch plate. It will be stiffer but much more realistic.

on another note, this makes me chuckle. Seriously guys.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Should have gone PDK

just kidding around! OP loving the pics on IG of your car, great great spec and I'm sure you'll adjust with the lighter clutch
Old 06-14-2018, 12:42 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 514 Posts

Having a manual and enjoying the quirks that are imperfect with its established technology is half the fun and the close connection to the car everyone says they enjoy) heck with PDK it also can have a mind of its own....this all beats self driving cars by a country mile....
Old 06-14-2018, 01:13 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

child's play...

on level ground from standstill.

tc and esc off

clutch in, shifter in first, rev and hold at 6000rpm

clutch out quickly

repeat at all stop signs and lights.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:49 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Should have gone PDK

just kidding around! OP loving the pics on IG of your car, great great spec and I'm sure you'll adjust with the lighter clutch
thanks!

ya, I have no doubt. took me a few weeks to get used to GTS with a clutch that was heavier than my daily driver (BMW) at the time. zero regrets about buying a manual. as long as they keep making them, I'll keep buying them
Old 06-14-2018, 02:18 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraz
No bloody wonder that 99 % of 911 production is no longer manual. 101 people arguing about manual vs pdk &, yet lots of people here complaining that they struggle with a clutch pedal.
Yup. If the 991.2 gt3 clutch/tranny is a struggle for anyone than maybe they should have gotten pdk. The clutch and shifter combo is one of the best I have driven. The GT4 was great too, but I'll take my GT3 manual over it because of the 3rd gear issues.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:33 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I will admit that I've stalled mine a few times as well. However, the issue is NOT the clutch. In fact, I've found this car way easier to drive around smoothly compared to other manuals out there. It is sooooooo butter smooth it's ridiculous. A friend of mine riding shotgun the other day even said she felt like the car only had one really tall gear. That's how smooth this thing shifts when you're not on it.

The real problem with stalling, I've found, is not the clutch... but the throttle. You have to really give it more gas in first gear than you think. Every time I've stalled in first it's because I didn't give it enough gas. It's got nothing to do with the clutch—which I think is damn near perfect. The car never lurches on gear shifts.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,386 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraz
Funny and probably true

I think the lighter Clutch is a perfect combo with the a higher and faster revving engine. Coming from the GT4 just took a few hundred miles to get used to but no looking back. Iactually find the new clutch easier to get off the line with. May be a little more sensitive but you can shift quicker.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:52 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I will admit that I've stalled mine a few times as well. However, the issue is NOT the clutch. In fact, I've found this car way easier to drive around smoothly compared to other manuals out there. It is sooooooo butter smooth it's ridiculous. A friend of mine riding shotgun the other day even said she felt like the car only had one really tall gear. That's how smooth this thing shifts when you're not on it.

The real problem with stalling, I've found, is not the clutch... but the throttle. You have to really give it more gas in first gear than you think. Every time I've stalled in first it's because I didn't give it enough gas. It's got nothing to do with the clutch—which I think is damn near perfect. The car never lurches on gear shifts.
Yeah I think the issue is more the throttle response. The engine drops FAST when you let off the gas between shifts around town, so I have to catch it quickly with the clutch to be smooth.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 AM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I to have a manual and have stalled it several times. I don't find it to be anything really earth shattering . I agree with the gas concept that you need to give it a little bit more gas. I think that the light clutch is a wonderful thing that just needs some learning curve time. Another reason why it stalls as easily as it does because the Flywheel is not particularly heavy.
A heavy Flywheel would prevent that but then you wouldn't be able to spin it up nearly as quickly!!!
Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should evaluate if people can drive manual before handing out allocations. I guarantee you half the crowd here can’t handle a 30 degree hill without hill assist. You will either stall the car or hit the guy behind you.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
child's play...

on level ground from standstill.

tc and esc off

clutch in, shifter in first, rev and hold at 6000rpm

clutch out quickly

repeat at all stop signs and lights.
I found this works best. Only further comment, is wait until car is front is half mile down the road first before you do so, otherwise its a never fail anti stall method.

On serious note, haven't stalled but did notice you had to be a little more conscious of the engagement point particularly on an incline as the auto park brake comes off quickly and you will roll back soon enough.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:46 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

I love how people here just love to criticize people who can’t drive a manual. Well done sirs. Yes, there should be a screening process for people who can and can’t drive a manual

I’m surprised why more of you guys arent Porsche factory drivers. They really need to use this place to recruit more drivers.

well done, sirs. I envy your driving abilities

i apologize for my short comings. Simple issue of getting used to driving a new set up turns up into this

thanks to the others that provided meaningful advice. Made some changes to my seating position and modulating the throttle as some pointed out.

Quick Reply: Manual stalling .2 GT3