Confused: Should I let go my 2018 gt3 for an RS allocation at sticker

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:51 AM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mclarenmaniac
OK guys...Worst case i will keep both if i loose too much on the GT3
If you can afford to do that and it is not a financial strain then that’s the best option. The GT3 for a DD and the RS for weekend fun. I’ve done that with watches when I could not decide, I bought both. Lost a ton on trying to sell the one I did not want, $30k at times. But, I ended up with the watch I wanted. Silver lining in everything I guess.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:14 AM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 113 Posts

OK Guys...here is the break down of the cost:
  • Msrp - $180K
  • Tire Warranty + LoJack - $3K
  • 4 Years Service Maintenance Package - $5k
  • Sales Tax - $8K
  • Misc and Title fee - $1K
  • Full Clear Bra - Suntek Ultra with Kamakazee coating - $8k
Total Out of Pocket Cost for the Gt3 - $205K (I know its a bit much for a Gt3)

NOTE: My State does NOT give Tax credit for trade-ins and the Dealer offered $170k for trade-in but NO obligation for me to trade my Gt3
Old 06-12-2018, 11:27 AM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 163 Posts

[QUOTE=mclarenmaniac;15072985]OK Guys...here is the break down of the cost:
  • Msrp - $180K
  • Sales Tax - $8K

NOTE: My State does NOT give Tax credit for trade-ins and the Dealer offered $170k for trade-in but NO obligation for me to trade my Gt3 [/

So the dealer is offering you $10k below MSRP? That’s more than fair, the other add ins you can’t expect the dealer to reimburse you for. Also, 5% sales tax is not that big of a hit. We pay 10.1% in Seattle so just figure you are paying normal tax rate in another state. All things considering the dealer is being generous. You bought one Porsche from them albeit a GT3 and they already offered you an RS. Buy both and be done with it.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Some of those warranty programs will refund you a prorated amount for canceling early. Might be able to get another $5k back there as well.

I'd do it, from PDK to PDK sort of a no brainer. I have a 6 sp and am doing it. Lots of perks with the RS over standard GT3 from a performance perspective to me. But I will enjoy mine a couple times a year on the track too.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-12-2018, 12:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

• Msrp - $180K
  • Sales Tax - $8K

NOTE: My State does NOT give Tax credit for trade-ins and the Dealer offered $170k for trade-in but NO obligation for me to trade my Gt3

ALL those others "extras" you paid for including sales tax mean ZERO to any dealer come trade in time. Same goes for FSBO. Can't recoup those things. 100% depreciation there.

Work off of MSRP price and whatever market value the car has.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

• Msrp - $180K
  • Sales Tax - $8K

How many miles on your .2GT3?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 PM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 113 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Nick
How many miles on your .2GT3?
Delivery miles were 8 miles and i put 322 in 6+ months
Old 06-12-2018, 01:36 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 721 Likes on 394 Posts

Since you get no sales tax credit on a trade, you would be better off selling the GT3 yourself.
Order the GT3RS and list the GT3 for sale. If it's not sold by the time the RS arrives, you could trade it. If you sell it before then, you come out ahead.
Although it seems the GT3 market has cooled off a bit, you should be able to get MSRP at a minimum, perhaps as much as $10k over. All the extras will bring next to nothing with a trade or sale. A few of the items you bought can be surrendered and a refund issued.
Also, based on your usage history, I wouldn't get the extra stuff on the RS. Certainly not a 5-year service agreement!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Delivery miles were 8 miles and i put 322 in 6+ months [/QUOTE]

Were you intentionally not driving it to preserve value or just no time/opportunity?

I'm at 1700 miles on my manual and am torn each day whether to drive it or not anticipating the trade in for the RS in Sept. First world problems I know, and I should just drive it and not worry about trade-in value....but still.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:07 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

How can you lose money in GT3 unless you paid a premium on it. Or, they are offsetting the cost from the RS value. It is only you who can answer that question. We can only give insight and maybe , a good advice. The moment you start looking at the other car, then your mind already set and like to get it. Why not sell you GT3 privately and use your dealer as the middle man for tax purpose. If they are honest with the whole deal, then it should be no problem. Then you can get the RS at MSRP and get a better deal on the GT3.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:14 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoyV
How can you lose money in GT3 unless you paid a premium on it. Or, they are offsetting the cost from the RS value. It is only you who can answer that question. We can only give insight and maybe , a good advice. The moment you start looking at the other car, then your mind already set and like to get it. Why not sell you GT3 privately and use your dealer as the middle man for tax purpose. If they are honest with the whole deal, then it should be no problem. Then you can get the RS at MSRP and get a better deal on the GT3.
He'll lose money because he has $16K in "extras"....tire, LoJack, warranty, film.....those are little to no value to the dealer.

Question is will they give you an RS at MSRP with no trade? You can likely get $190-200K for your car to the right buyer....they'll be some perceived value for the extras and finding a car at that ADM is very hard right now.....the longer you wait though brings risk.

If it was me. Tell the dealer you want the RS....put you car up privately and it will easily sell fro more than $170K
Old 06-12-2018, 02:49 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

IMO unless you really want buckets/a stiffer car for the track or are just head over heels with the look of the RS over your GT3, I wouldn't do it since you are asking

There will always be something better down the road, the latest and greatest. Sometimes good to stop and enjoy what you have right in front of you... especially as you have a cool story with your GT3 (getting it at MSRP, waiting 3 years, birthdate/40th, etc)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Delivery miles were 8 miles and i put 322 in 6+ months [/QUOTE]
WOW, was it in storage? The car is new and I agree with others to sell it privately and get the RS. Like me you'll probably eat the sales tax but that's the price you pay to jump into the latest and greatest Porsche.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Double post. Sorry
Old 06-12-2018, 03:25 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Delivery miles were 8 miles and i put 322 in 6+ months
WOW, was it in storage? The car is new and I agree with others to sell it privately and get the RS. Like me you'll probably eat the sales tax but that's the price you pay to jump into the latest and greatest Porsche.
Actually, the greatest and latest would be the GT2RS. LOL.

322 miles in 6+ months speaks volumes, IMO. You don't drive your car enough . In that case, I would keep the GT3. No sense in getting a better track car if you won't track the car. I won't get into value/depreciation, because Lord knows we have enough of those.

Quick Reply: Confused: Should I let go my 2018 gt3 for an RS allocation at sticker