Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 CS to 991.2 GT3, worth upgrading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 12:20 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 991.2 CS to 991.2 GT3, worth upgrading?

Hello! This topic might have been discussed already but I couldn't find any recent threads so I'd like to post some queries.

I'm considering a GT3 in the near future since my Porsche sales rep is asking if I'm interested in one. With Porsche, I've had 981 GTS, 997.1TT, and 997.2TTS before. Currently, I have a 991.2 CS. I can say that the 991.2 CS is the best Porsche I've had so far and find it a very good all around sports car. I've also experienced cars from other brands like BMW, MB, Audi, Ferrari, and Lambo before.

I've always been curious why so many people like their GT3's. Apart from the linear high revving NA power delivery, what makes them special vs Carreras or Turbos? I understand that their quantities are limited so there's less discounts vs Carreras/Turbos. If purpose of getting one is for pure weekend spirited runs and not really going to race tracks, is it worth having a GT3?

For 991.2 GT3 generation, how is ride comfort vs say a comparable 991.2 CS or TT? Is it stiff yet comfortable enough on occasional bumpy roads? Do GT3's also have adjustable suspension like the other 991's? Or is the button in the center to activate front lift actually? Also, GT3's where I'm from seem to come only with the carbon bucket seat option. How comfortable is the seat for slightly bigger people (especially on the waist)? Is it ok generally for longer journeys like 2-3 hours?

How's the GT3's manual transmission clutch feel? I hear some comments that the 997's clutch was too hard and tiring. Is the 991.2 GT3 clutch softer? Also, is the clutch generally deep like BMW's? I find M clutches too deep as if it was designed for long legged people only. I'm curious about M/T's as I also have a Mazda MX5 and while it's not fast, the M/T makes it enjoyable.

Thank you for your feedback in advance!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:34 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes. Apart from all the dynamic reasons, think about it from a depreciation perspective. You can take the C2S and draw a line to it being worth $35k.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:13 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, especially if you track it. Non GT 991.2's don't sound good enough for me. I would take a GT4 over one.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:18 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Out of curiosity, does your dealer actually have a 991.2 GT3 to sell you? If he does, what is the price he wants for it? As you know from all the threads here, 991.2 GT3's are selling at a premium, if there is even one to sell. The 991.2 CS is an exceptional car in it's own right, as you have discovered. So, the selling price for a 991.2 GT3 and the trade in he will give you for your CS plays a huge factor on whether the "upgrade" is worth it or not.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_kills
Hello! This topic might have been discussed already but I couldn't find any recent threads so I'd like to post some queries.

I'm considering a GT3 in the near future since my Porsche sales rep is asking if I'm interested in one. With Porsche, I've had 981 GTS, 997.1TT, and 997.2TTS before. Currently, I have a 991.2 CS. I can say that the 991.2 CS is the best Porsche I've had so far and find it a very good all around sports car. I've also experienced cars from other brands like BMW, MB, Audi, Ferrari, and Lambo before.

I've always been curious why so many people like their GT3's. Apart from the linear high revving NA power delivery, what makes them special vs Carreras or Turbos? I understand that their quantities are limited so there's less discounts vs Carreras/Turbos. If purpose of getting one is for pure weekend spirited runs and not really going to race tracks, is it worth having a GT3?

For 991.2 GT3 generation, how is ride comfort vs say a comparable 991.2 CS or TT? Is it stiff yet comfortable enough on occasional bumpy roads? Do GT3's also have adjustable suspension like the other 991's? Or is the button in the center to activate front lift actually? Also, GT3's where I'm from seem to come only with the carbon bucket seat option. How comfortable is the seat for slightly bigger people (especially on the waist)? Is it ok generally for longer journeys like 2-3 hours?

How's the GT3's manual transmission clutch feel? I hear some comments that the 997's clutch was too hard and tiring. Is the 991.2 GT3 clutch softer? Also, is the clutch generally deep like BMW's? I find M clutches too deep as if it was designed for long legged people only. I'm curious about M/T's as I also have a Mazda MX5 and while it's not fast, the M/T makes it enjoyable.

Thank you for your feedback in advance!
Motorsport feel. Worth it. More raw than other non-GT 991.2s. Yes. FAL. Sofas are available for free and are more comfortable. Clutch is lighter.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:10 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

PDK to PDK car and not heading with new
3 for laps on the track , not worth it,
actually down grade for usage
perhaps
the ratio economic loss my bet larger than the ratio of performance gain differential , especially no track use

Last edited by R.Deacon; 06-09-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Grab the .2 GT3. You will be smiling every time you drive it.

They will killl you on trade but worth it if you can get a .2 at MSRP
Old 06-09-2018, 09:51 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes upgrade!! I know of an RS allocation if you want a bigger upgrade, PM me for contact.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:17 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I think an important question is do you daily drive it?

while the GT3 is an excellent daily driver the car is such an event that sitting in traffic feels like a total waste of the car. I came from a 2016 C4S and I put 20k miles on that car in 3 years. This GT3 sees less than half that use but is far more of an experience to drive.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
Motorsport feel. Worth it. More raw than other non-GT 991.2s. Yes. FAL. Sofas are available for free and are more comfortable. Clutch is lighter.
right. Because you have first hand experience right? Or do you just parrot what you read? Have you driven all the generations? Can you feel the difference of a dual mass vs single mass? Do you know how to tell? Have you sat in all the seat generations? More comfortable? Right. Not.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

This is one of those questions that if you have to ask, then it's probably not worth it to upgrade.

It's like if you have to ask, "should I have sex with Allie Ayers, or have a tooth extraction without any topical anesthetic?" then you should just probably stick to dentistry.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:56 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
right. Because you have first hand experience right? Or do you just parrot what you read? Have you driven all the generations? Can you feel the difference of a dual mass vs single mass? Do you know how to tell? Have you sat in all the seat generations? More comfortable? Right. Not.
Not sure if Andial has all the qualifications you require of him but I can speak from experience that everything he said was true.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:08 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I checked out my local dealer's GT3 on display and it was in PDK version. I was pleasantly surprised with the carbon bucket seat as it was not so bad for my wide frame body than I initially thought so. Very different from say a Huracan Performante's super hard carbon seats. It takes effort jumping in and out of the car but I guess its something I'll get used to over time.

By the way, the dealer let me start the car and wow, even while stationary, the PSE sounded very different from the CS and I'm already dreaming how it will sound like when you hit close to 9000 rpm.

About my 991.2 CS, I use it only for weekend runs and it pretty much ticks all my needs in a sports car since it's well balanced and comfortable enough to take to long trips. I do wish it sounded a bit better (e.g. my older 981 GTS) and had a more linear feel although it is already much more refined than the older 997 Turbos so I'm probably just nitpicking. As a weekends only car though, I sort of itch for a more pure and radical experience, something that makes me look forward to the next run even if not as comfortable. Like the experience of driving a Ferrari but without the worries that something is about to break or the check engine light acting up he he.

With regards to price, GT3's are going for slightly less than the TTS. I understand that the TTS is a much faster and comfortable car vs the GT3, but after experiencing a 997 TTS, I found it boring and lacking in feel despite the crazy acceleration. I did got my 991.2 used so I think selling it now will incur a minimal loss. As .2 GT3's are quite rare, I doubt if I can find a good slightly used deal so I'm contemplating whether to just go for a new one. As they say, YOLO.

Last edited by speed_kills; 06-10-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:03 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Sounds like your pretty happy with the 991.2. Check out this video...

Old 06-10-2018, 06:42 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO, get a 3 RS or just keep the C2S and wait until you can get one. Yes the GT3 to C2S is an ugprade, but once you do it you'll be wondering why you didn't just do a 3 RS and will spend more money.

Quick Reply: 991.2 CS to 991.2 GT3, worth upgrading?