Sponsored by:

991.2 CS to 991.2 GT3, worth upgrading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 10:27 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips

intrigued but can’t figure out what two cars you are comparing. The C2S to the GT3? I do have to say that the new C2S with rear axle steer is mighty fast around the track.
Yes, ( that's the OP thread title Q ) my thought is he states he doesn't track the car , and he will incur I would bet a significant expense to make the change
when there really isn't significant performance difference as you note and I would think the C2S better suit for his usage . I should know better than to chime , with my opinion on what car they should get , or color or tranny etc... It always amazes me when folks reach out on a forum as what to buy , with such
indecision , generally makes me curious how they came to be in such a position of means.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
OP, where in Asia? Most are chauffeur driven so any sports car stands out. I would say the only Porsches that catch attention are CGT, 918. Dealer principal friend has no problem driving P1 often to work.
It the southeast part. Chauffeur driven is a stereotype, thats like for 1-2% of car owners here hehe. And even a new base Boxster will get a lot of attention already. So imagine a 911, in any trim. 😜
Old 06-10-2018, 11:32 PM
theplanner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed_kills
Hello! This topic might have been discussed already but I couldn't find any recent threads so I'd like to post some queries.

I'm considering a GT3 in the near future since my Porsche sales rep is asking if I'm interested in one. With Porsche, I've had 981 GTS, 997.1TT, and 997.2TTS before. Currently, I have a 991.2 CS. I can say that the 991.2 CS is the best Porsche I've had so far and find it a very good all around sports car. I've also experienced cars from other brands like BMW, MB, Audi, Ferrari, and Lambo before.

I've always been curious why so many people like their GT3's. Apart from the linear high revving NA power delivery, what makes them special vs Carreras or Turbos? I understand that their quantities are limited so there's less discounts vs Carreras/Turbos. If purpose of getting one is for pure weekend spirited runs and not really going to race tracks, is it worth having a GT3?

For 991.2 GT3 generation, how is ride comfort vs say a comparable 991.2 CS or TT? Is it stiff yet comfortable enough on occasional bumpy roads? Do GT3's also have adjustable suspension like the other 991's? Or is the button in the center to activate front lift actually? Also, GT3's where I'm from seem to come only with the carbon bucket seat option. How comfortable is the seat for slightly bigger people (especially on the waist)? Is it ok generally for longer journeys like 2-3 hours?

How's the GT3's manual transmission clutch feel? I hear some comments that the 997's clutch was too hard and tiring. Is the 991.2 GT3 clutch softer? Also, is the clutch generally deep like BMW's? I find M clutches too deep as if it was designed for long legged people only. I'm curious about M/T's as I also have a Mazda MX5 and while it's not fast, the M/T makes it enjoyable.

Thank you for your feedback in advance!
if the extra expense is no issue for you then I say go for it given it is just a weekend toy. It will definitely give u plenty more thrills even on the roads but be warned u will be chasing the rpm and as such going much quicker to maintain the drama. I have a GT4 and GT3 for the weekends, and prefer driving the GT4 on the roads, only because the GT3 scares me as I am constantly hunting the 9000rpm thus going far too quickly then I should. But these cars give u so much feedback, there is simply nothing else better for the equivalent $$$. Worst comes to worst, if you dun like it, sell it and into a 992 CS.

the clutch is really light, where it is easy to drive in traffic. My GT4 has a heavier clutch. So the clutch weight is nothing like the 997.

Other thing to bear in mind, is the car overall feels much stiffer and u hear all the clings and clangs in the wheel arch so even at low speeds, there is plenty of noise emitting into the cabin that is not the engine or exhaust. But this is all part of the enjoyment.....
Old 06-11-2018, 01:24 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Parrot. No. No. No. No. No. Yes.
I don't get your beef w/ me. You are RL OG and you track 997.1 RS, drive 930 C2, have Cayenne as tow vehicle, and even your wife has BMW 235. I defer to you.

Like i said. A parrot. BTW, don’t believe everything you read on the interwebs. For all you know I could be a 15yr troll too. Exhibiting a persona on RL that doesn't exist in real life, only in my head and in the minds of others based on what they read. But, I do like that you've mastered the art of search, and, what some may call "internet stalking". Nice job, that skill should serve you well on your path to drive/own a Porsche (or even, get your drivers license).

Last edited by Spyerx; 06-11-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

Like i said. A parrot. BTW, don’t believe everything you read on the interwebs. For all you know I could be a 15yr troll too. Exhibiting a persona on RL that doesn't exist in real life, only in my head and in the minds of others based on what they read. But, I do like that you've mastered the art of search, and, what some may call "internet stalking". Nice job, that skill should serve you well on your path to drive/own a Porsche (or even, get your drivers license).

Your IG suggests otherwise, as does your RL history. I have my drivers license, and I chose not to buy a Porsche, as it stands out too much. Will probably buy when when I am UHNW.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by speed_kills

It the southeast part. Chauffeur driven is a stereotype, thats like for 1-2% of car owners here hehe. And even a new base Boxster will get a lot of attention already. So imagine a 911, in any trim. ��
Used to live in SE Asia. Most chauffeur driven in my country. Obviously only top 1% could afford it. A woman drove a 997.1 RS, and saw a few 911s. Not that many Boxsters though.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:59 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
I went from a 991.1 C4S with a PDK to a 991.2 GT3 with a manual and buckets. In general, the C4S was more comfortable, less drama, less noticed, and easier to drive around. I loved my C4S and drove it everywhere including the winters here in Colorado.

The GT3 feels like a completely different car, like its not even related. It is very raw, loud, rough, but drives how I imagine a street legal racecar would feel (I know it's still a long ways from a racecar, but it's the closest I've been to one). It's much more of an event to drive.

I drove my C4S more frequently on shorter trips, to make a quick run to home depot or the grocery store. I brought my kids along in the back seats, and felt pretty comfortable driving almost everywhere. I took it to a couple of track days which was fun, but not as fun as my 981.1 Cayman S, and definitely not as thrilling as the GT3. I also went on a couple of road trips with my wife which I doubt I could convince her to do in the GT3.

The GT3 I hate driving in traffic, not a fan of driving on short trips, and I can't bring my kids along. It's completely turned into a weekend driver. So I've been typically taking it out for longer drives on the weekend (early Sat/Sun before people wake up). The GT3 is simply an amazing car to drive on good roads and the track. I can't think of a better weekend driver / track toy than the GT3. But if you still like to drive your car around town more frequently and use it day to day, you need to really think hard. I know people on here daily drive a GT3, but that is definitely not for everyone one, and a any 991.1/2 would be much better in my opinion.

Go test drive one (991.1 or a 991.2) if you can. It's an experience. But really think about your driving habits and whether you could really live with it. Worst case you can sell it in a year without taking a huge depreciation hit. But there are many times I think to myself, would I rather have a older C4S and a GT4? Or a 991.2 TTS? Or a Targa? There are a lot of great cars in the line up to choose from.

Good luck!
Well said. I have a 991.2 C4 and a 991.2 GT3 and if I could I would be keeping both as the C4 is a better daily driver or car to enjoy just about anywhere short of the canyons or track IMO. Since one has to go, no brainer for me GT3 is staying and will be my DD. First world problems huh...

Originally Posted by abiazis
I drove my 991.2 GT3 for over 4 hours today........to Road Atlanta about an hour, to a restaurant about an hour, some mountain roads for about an hour and back home about an hour in my LW Buckets and I feel fantastic....driving position is perfect, great posture thus no strain.....I am 6'3" 200 pounds with a 36 inch waist.......no issue at all....I have PDK and I found it very involving with the paddles and did not miss a manual AT ALL..........this car can be driven everyday, especially if you have a good parking set-up at work or where you regularly drive to..............IT SURPRISED ME SO MUCH I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!
Great to read this, my PDK/buckets car will be used just about the same way when she arrives

Originally Posted by Spyerx

Just put him on ignore like I did mate
Old 06-12-2018, 06:21 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Well said. I have a 991.2 C4 and a 991.2 GT3 and if I could I would be keeping both as the C4 is a better daily driver or car to enjoy just about anywhere short of the canyons or track IMO. Since one has to go, no brainer for me GT3 is staying and will be my DD. First world problems huh...

Great to read this, my PDK/buckets car will be used just about the same way when she arrives

Just put him on ignore like I did mate
I see. So you were referring to me when you said you put someone on ignore.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

A woman drove a 997.1 RS, and saw a few 911s.

I love lamp.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 229 Posts

Are the buckets in 991.1 same as 991.2 GT3? Cause, the 991.1 were super uncomfortable for my lower spine.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Are the buckets in 991.1 same as 991.2 GT3? Cause, the 991.1 were super uncomfortable for my lower spine.
Yes

Quick Reply: 991.2 CS to 991.2 GT3, worth upgrading?