tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
PDK to PDK car and not heading with new
3 for laps on the track , not worth it,
actually down grade for usage
perhaps
the ratio economic loss my bet larger than the ratio of performance gain differential , especially no track use
This is probably exactly right.

My two cents - I've owned bunches of 911s inc. 6GT3, 7.1GT3, 1.1GT3 and 1.1RS. Unless I was going to track the car heavily I'd rather own the .2C2S - and if I was going to track it heavily I'd want a race car. But that's easy to say after owning all of them. If the GT3 is an itch that needs to be scratched the .2GT3 sure looks like a great way to do it. I'm impressed by everything I've seen (unfortunately haven't driven it) and also the used market doesn't seem as terrible as I expected it would be this close to launch. If you want one, get it. Best guess is you like it and if not it's fairly liquid.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:44 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

I went from a 991.1 C4S with a PDK to a 991.2 GT3 with a manual and buckets. In general, the C4S was more comfortable, less drama, less noticed, and easier to drive around. I loved my C4S and drove it everywhere including the winters here in Colorado.

The GT3 feels like a completely different car, like its not even related. It is very raw, loud, rough, but drives how I imagine a street legal racecar would feel (I know it's still a long ways from a racecar, but it's the closest I've been to one). It's much more of an event to drive.

I drove my C4S more frequently on shorter trips, to make a quick run to home depot or the grocery store. I brought my kids along in the back seats, and felt pretty comfortable driving almost everywhere. I took it to a couple of track days which was fun, but not as fun as my 981.1 Cayman S, and definitely not as thrilling as the GT3. I also went on a couple of road trips with my wife which I doubt I could convince her to do in the GT3.

The GT3 I hate driving in traffic, not a fan of driving on short trips, and I can't bring my kids along. It's completely turned into a weekend driver. So I've been typically taking it out for longer drives on the weekend (early Sat/Sun before people wake up). The GT3 is simply an amazing car to drive on good roads and the track. I can't think of a better weekend driver / track toy than the GT3. But if you still like to drive your car around town more frequently and use it day to day, you need to really think hard. I know people on here daily drive a GT3, but that is definitely not for everyone one, and a any 991.1/2 would be much better in my opinion.

Go test drive one (991.1 or a 991.2) if you can. It's an experience. But really think about your driving habits and whether you could really live with it. Worst case you can sell it in a year without taking a huge depreciation hit. But there are many times I think to myself, would I rather have a older C4S and a GT4? Or a 991.2 TTS? Or a Targa? There are a lot of great cars in the line up to choose from.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_kills
I checked out my local dealer's GT3 on display and it was in PDK version. I was pleasantly surprised with the carbon bucket seat as it was not so bad for my wide frame body than I initially thought so. Very different from say a Huracan Performante's super hard carbon seats. It takes effort jumping in and out of the car but I guess its something I'll get used to over time.

By the way, the dealer let me start the car and wow, even while stationary, the PSE sounded very different from the CS and I'm already dreaming how it will sound like when you hit close to 9000 rpm.

About my 991.2 CS, I use it only for weekend runs and it pretty much ticks all my needs in a sports car since it's well balanced and comfortable enough to take to long trips. I do wish it sounded a bit better (e.g. my older 981 GTS) and had a more linear feel although it is already much more refined than the older 997 Turbos so I'm probably just nitpicking. As a weekends only car though, I sort of itch for a more pure and radical experience, something that makes me look forward to the next run even if not as comfortable. Like the experience of driving a Ferrari but without the worries that something is about to break or the check engine light acting up he he.

With regards to price, GT3's are going for slightly less than the TTS. I understand that the TTS is a much faster and comfortable car vs the GT3, but after experiencing a 997 TTS, I found it boring and lacking in feel despite the crazy acceleration. I did got my 991.2 used so I think selling it now will incur a minimal loss. As .2 GT3's are quite rare, I doubt if I can find a good slightly used deal so I'm contemplating whether to just go for a new one. As they say, YOLO.
You're in Asia> Explains the availability and price of the GT3.

Based on your post above, it seems you feel your 991.2 CS is coming up short for what you want, leaves an itch it cannot satisfy. I say definitely go for the GT3. You won't regret it.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:58 AM
AndreasPeriera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it. I'm in a similar situation but I'm upgrading from a 991.1 CS PDK to GT3T.
My brother has a 991.2 C2 and there is a big difference in the sound and feel between the NA .1 and the turbo .2 engines. Compared to the driving the .1, the .2 is more refined and feels sedated.
The GT3 should be more exciting to drive
Old 06-10-2018, 01:00 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
You're in Asia> Explains the availability and price of the GT3.

Based on your post above, it seems you feel your 991.2 CS is coming up short for what you want, leaves an itch it cannot satisfy. I say definitely go for the GT3. You won't regret it.
Yup, unfortunately prices are a lot more than elsewhere and easily almost 2x more than the US. I understand that in the west, it seems many are able to DD their 911's. But where I'm from, driving around even a base Carrera in weekday traffic would be considered indifferent.

There's nothing wrong with the CS as it is really a lot car already and it is a very good balance between comfort and sports. But since I only bring it out on weekends only, I sometimes think if I should get a more hardcore car to make those weekends truly special

A quick question again on GT3 carbon bucket seats, do you find it comfortable enough even after 1.5 to 2 hours of spirited street driving?
Old 06-10-2018, 01:33 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

the GT3 will ruin you for any Carrera moving forward

BTW, that's a good thing
Old 06-10-2018, 01:35 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
the GT3 will ruin you for any Carrera moving forward

BTW, that's a good thing
Yes- GT3 or Turbo. You'll be happy at the top of the food chain. Clutch is fine... don't even realize its "hardcore", which it is not.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:48 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

wow, in Asia they have enough allocations to offer you one! amazing.
my advice do it, life is too short to miss out on whats likely the last non-turbo GT car
Old 06-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

right. Because you have first hand experience right? Or do you just parrot what you read? Have you driven all the generations? Can you feel the difference of a dual mass vs single mass? Do you know how to tell? Have you sat in all the seat generations? More comfortable? Right. Not.
Parrot. No. No. No. No. No. Yes.
I don't get your beef w/ me. You are RL OG and you track 997.1 RS, drive 930 C2, have Cayenne as tow vehicle, and even your wife has BMW 235. I defer to you.

OP, where in Asia? Most are chauffeur driven so any sports car stands out. I would say the only Porsches that catch attention are CGT, 918. Dealer principal friend has no problem driving P1 often to work.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:26 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_kills
A quick question again on GT3 carbon bucket seats, do you find it comfortable enough even after 1.5 to 2 hours of spirited street driving?
I found the carbon buckets incredibly comfortable and I'm fairly large - 6', 220 lbs. Drove the RS all over the place - 7K miles in the first four months of ownership. Only issue with the buckets is getting out - not so much riding in them.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:40 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
The GT3 feels like a completely different car, like its not even related. It is very raw, loud, rough, but drives how I imagine a street legal racecar would feel (I know it's still a long ways from a racecar, but it's the closest I've been to one). It's much more of an event to drive.
This exactly. I just picked up a 991.1 GT3 and got rid of my 2018 C2S. I used to daily the C2S. Great car but didn’t feel super comfortable with it daily and didn’t feel super excited by it in the canyons or on track. Then I got the GT3 and got a BMW wagon for my daily. Feel much happier with this set up. The GT3 is shockingly unlike the C2S. They feel related only cosmetically. The GT3 is altogether different. It is an absolute riot to drive in the canyons and on track. Laugh out loud thrilling and capable. Loud and louder when you’re getting after it, in a way that makes the drive so much more special, so much more exciting. It’s also way more aggressive looking, so much so that I wouldn’t want to daily it even if i thought it was comfortable enough to do so. Just my personality—in certian contexts I’m sorta embarrassed by the car notwithstanding that I love, love, love it. On the other hand, it is definitely something one could daily, especially with pdk and the front axle lift, which is very good and even allows the front to clear standard parking curbs.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
PDK to PDK car and not heading with new
3 for laps on the track , not worth it,
actually down grade for usage
perhaps
the ratio economic loss my bet larger than the ratio of performance gain differential , especially no track use
intrigued but can’t figure out what two cars you are comparing. The C2S to the GT3? I do have to say that the new C2S with rear axle steer is mighty fast around the track.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:01 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 514 Posts

I drove my 991.2 GT3 for over 4 hours today........to Road Atlanta about an hour, to a restaurant about an hour, some mountain roads for about an hour and back home about an hour in my LW Buckets and I feel fantastic....driving position is perfect, great posture thus no strain.....I am 6'3" 200 pounds with a 36 inch waist.......no issue at all....I have PDK and I found it very involving with the paddles and did not miss a manual AT ALL..........this car can be driven everyday, especially if you have a good parking set-up at work or where you regularly drive to..............IT SURPRISED ME SO MUCH I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Originally Posted by tstafford
I found the carbon buckets incredibly comfortable and I'm fairly large - 6', 220 lbs. Drove the RS all over the place - 7K miles in the first four months of ownership. Only issue with the buckets is getting out - not so much riding in them.
Very good to know that! I had an impression before that the bucket seats will make me feel claustrophobic but was surprised after sitting on it as it was quite wide and padded enough. But true, getting out seems a bit of a chore due to the hard shell bolsters. 👍
Old 06-10-2018, 10:20 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jzips

This exactly. I just picked up a 991.1 GT3 and got rid of my 2018 C2S. I used to daily the C2S. Great car but didn’t feel super comfortable with it daily and didn’t feel super excited by it in the canyons or on track. Then I got the GT3 and got a BMW wagon for my daily. Feel much happier with this set up. The GT3 is shockingly unlike the C2S.
Thanks for the feedback! My dd cars are a bunch of SUV’s. Gets the job done due to our less than perfect parking and traffic conditions but the comfortable ride can get sooo boring. So I always look forward to my early morning weekends for sports car and motorcycle runs.👍

Quick Reply: 991.2 CS to 991.2 GT3, worth upgrading?