Old 06-09-2018, 11:18 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts
Default COTA GT3RS Write off

Posted on FB by DDW partners (hopefully not a duplicate post):

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Too bad for the driver, but if you probe the limits, you will find them- either you or the car.

Doesn't seem so bad from the in car, but it's a total write off which is pretty obvious from the second video. Slide starts before the curbing. Possibly surface conditions? I've never driven COTA so I can speak to the line. Just a shame, I've had a few of these, but in my race car. As I contemplate visiting Spa or the Ring with my upcoming delivery, this is a reminder why I don't track my street cars and have a race car.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:38 AM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a good friend of mine. He wanted me to post the vids. He’s ok but the car is totaled. He had track insurance so the car was fully covered. There was about $4500 in damage to the wall at COTA he had to pay for as well. He was on Hoosiers at the time and looking for the limits. He had run 2.21-2.22 earlier that day. He has a ton of laps at COTA and a good bit of experience.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:44 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^do u know what firm he had t insurance with ?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:09 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Sh** happens, glad driver is okay. The rest is semantics and can be repaired.

Kudos to him for pushing on the RS like that!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Sh** happens, glad driver is okay. The rest is semantics and can be repaired.

Kudos to him for pushing on the RS like that!
Amen.

These cars are made for this and once in a while it goes wrong. Great if you have insurance. Can’t drive on the edge without ever expecting an off, either through loss of concentration or an unexpected situation. Reckon statistically still safer than driving on the road.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:16 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners
This is a good friend of mine. He wanted me to post the vids. He’s ok but the car is totaled. He had track insurance so the car was fully covered. There was about $4500 in damage to the wall at COTA he had to pay for as well. He was on Hoosiers at the time and looking for the limits. He had run 2.21-2.22 earlier that day. He has a ton of laps at COTA and a good bit of experience.

Accidents happen to the best of us when driving on the limits. 2:21 is flying. These cars are so expensive, I try to never take mine to the limit.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't have the skill to try to take it to the limit. Know your limitations.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:32 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Might be time for an actual race car w a real cage.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:44 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners
Bummer, the track damage is the cherry on top of the crap pile. Having crossed over limits with similar consequences my racing heart goes out to your friend. For sure it will leave a mark. You question your ability, your decision making (why???), your luck (why me???) and what went wrong (car?, track?, driver???). Looks like he has data, so I would evaluate the lap over lap changes leading up to the incident. The answer is there.

Ultimately for me it changed my attitude for tracking and I switched to racing. Of course, I was Time Trialing so only one step away from racing, but after ‘buying’ a race car with a similar track incident in my GT3, I really did buy one and left my street cars on the street. Best of luck to him and the soul searching that inevitably happens. It sounds like your buddy is competitive- maybe when things settle down he should think about racing a cheaper car.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 133 Posts

Ouch, the T4 Wall has claimed many, many cars over the years.

From the video it seems he came into T3 too hot and just lift a bit too much and the rear got light on him. It would be really helpful if the driver can share the insights.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:13 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
^do u know what firm he had t insurance with ?
He said he had Open Track Insurance.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:14 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wind911
Ouch, the T4 Wall has claimed many, many cars over the years.

From the video it seems he came into T3 too hot and just lift a bit too much and the rear got light on him. It would be really helpful if the driver can share the insights.
I'm curious if traction control was on or off.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:19 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

i feel RWS is actually dangerous at the limit. the 991.1 RS calibration of RWS is also much more pronounced vs. 991.1 GT3; and it disrupts the car when grip levels are maxxed out. so if going though s-turns, going from a left turn into a right turn, if you are on the gas through the left and then as you turn in to right, you modulate off gas a little to shift weight forward for grip and at that same time RWS hits, the car will lost the rear vs. if same scenerio where to happen in non-RWS car, the rear would be fine. for example, they don't put RWS in their race cars because it creates noise to driver at limit and can be perceived and rear-traction loss or can disrupt car at limit, etc. when driving at 90% it's great, but once at 100% it will cause issues. i wish porsche would add a switch to turn RWS off and on, similar to sport button.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thus far this year I have attended several advanced DE days and have witnessed several bad wrecks, I feel that technological advances in car engineering has resulted in a false sense of being a better driver than we are ( my self included) passing no judgement on this driver just a general statement . Big props to those who put down fast lap times driving the cars with out all the nannies! Thinking about going back to an old school momentum car

glad the driver is ok , be thankful to go home In one piece for some reflection while marinading some ice cubes
Old 06-09-2018, 01:52 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^thanks for reply to my q , love the "marinating Ice cubes" Line , gotta remember that one

Quick Reply: COTA GT3RS Write off