Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 center lock question

Old 06-08-2018, 07:52 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 center lock question

For my son's high school graduation "gift" he and are planning on a road trip through western Georgia and North Carolina hills for a week in the GT3.
I will be bringing flat tire repair kit, and canisters for flat tire, and air compressor.
But...is there anything else you would recommend for tire preparedness?
I have AAA premium..but if flat tire I can't repair on side of road is flatbed to a Porsche dealer the only option because of the center lock mechanism and 18' torque wrench and 2 bodybuilders requied?

Thoughts, advice appreciated!
Old 06-08-2018, 08:10 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

With a new car purchase you should have Porsche roadside which can R&R CLs. But if the tire is not repairable via a plug kit and goob you're SOL
Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,711 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by italiafan
For my son's high school graduation "gift" he and are planning on a road trip through western Georgia and North Carolina hills for a week in the GT3.
I will be bringing flat tire repair kit, and canisters for flat tire, and air compressor.
But...is there anything else you would recommend for tire preparedness?
I have AAA premium..but if flat tire I can't repair on side of road is flatbed to a Porsche dealer the only option because of the center lock mechanism and 18' torque wrench and 2 bodybuilders requied?

Thoughts, advice appreciated!
Good cell phone booster.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:22 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would buy and take with you the giant torque wrench. Dealers are not always open, but the tires (or something that would fit) are available enough you might be able to source something if needed, but a normal shop won’t have a 3/4in anything, let alone a torque wrench. I would be tempted to buy and take with me a spare front wheel and tire and suitable jack. If you have LWBs you are sort of limited in how you carry it, but my plan for road trips is to remove the passenger seat and strap the spare wheel in the back (I have a spare set of wheels). I figure I could change a wheel on the side of the road in under 20 minutes although I have not tried it. I admit this is a bit extreme, but I am the guy who has a box of spares for all my cars and always carries tools and has done crazy stuff like change a water pump on the side of the road.

obviously, first thing is a GOOD plug kit with spare plugs.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:40 AM
vr4henry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Good cell phone booster.
https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/
Maybe one of these to SMS someone to send you a tow truck if really stranded out in the boonies?
Old 06-09-2018, 02:50 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vr4henry
https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/
Maybe one of these to SMS someone to send you a tow truck if really stranded out in the boonies?
There is very little around there without coverage. You may have to hike up a hill and you might not have LTE, but you should have a signal for a call.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:08 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

If you get stuck somewhere where they lack the proper tools, it is also highly unlikely they will have the correct tire sizes anyway.
I would just put the 42" breaker bar along side the passenger seat. Wrapped in a towel or something to keep it from rubbing/rattling. You can use it to remove a wheel if needed and tighten it using the emergency protocol in the manual. That's why the central hub has those marks on it. Don't need to carry a massive torque wrench or torque multiplier.
Most of the hill folk you encounter will be big enough to lend a hand. Ever see 'Deliverance'?
If you hear banjo music, just keep driving, flat tire or not. . .
Old 06-09-2018, 05:15 AM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

This is more compact than the big wrench

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-09-2018, 08:49 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Buy a 3/4" breaker bar from Harbor Freight for $21.99 (Breaker Bar) and store it in the frunk. When you call the tow truck guy, tell him to stop at Home Depot and buy 1" x 4 Ft galvanized pipe for $20. (Pipe) IIRC, there's an emergency procedure in the owners manual for tightening the centerlock without a torque wrench. No worries.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:25 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

If your tire is totally destroyed you are SOL and here is why, no tire shop will have a tire in stock that will fit your car. This is why I keep a few run out tires just in case I need time to source a new one. I had a flat in my brand new car on the way home from the dealer. I had to use the goo for a one inch slit from a piece of metal and it held. Got home but had to wait 4 days to get a replacement tire. Flats that are repairable the goo will easily handle.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:26 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Thanks guys!
Dumb question...can you use the torques wrench as the breaker bar too, or do you need 2 tools?
Old 06-09-2018, 04:41 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by italiafan
Thanks guys!
Dumb question...can you use the torques wrench as the breaker bar too, or do you need 2 tools?
The kit comes with the breaker bar attachment. You should not use a torque wrench as a breaker bar.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:04 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

The kit comes with the breaker bar attachment. You should not use a torque wrench as a breaker bar.
There are combo kits that have the breaker bar, there are also those that do not. Make sure you purchase the one that comes with the breaker bar combo.

Anyhow, I think you guys are just way over thinking this. Just drive the thing. Ask Robymypro, who is well on his way to 100,000 miles on his GT3. You get a flat, try the repair kit that comes with the car. It doesn't work, call roadside assistance and get flat bedded to the nearest Porsche dealer. This is how the GT3 was made, for better or worse.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

build your own small tool pack, bring multiple pliers, worst thing is not having something to pull out the screw or nail and then just plug it. pump it up. Really just like an ATV tire, use the same style plugs. they work and plug just about anything. Catching the light right away is the best. Its when they sit over night and are flat in the morning that makes it harder. I just keep it in the frunk, and i have dumped 5 plus plugs in giant holes to get home, just don't give up.lol keep plugging, it will finally work. I plugged my sidewall with 3 plugs and drove it 200 miles
Old 06-10-2018, 09:20 AM
italiafan
Instructor

when in college I worked in a tire store doing truck, heavy equipment and farm tires. That was a hard way to earn a buck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 center lock question