For all you manual romantics out there

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 01:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreasPeriera
Those are On Clouds, a swiss running shoes brand. I find them very comfy for daily wear.
They are narrow, though. Not for those of us with wide feet.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I thought JWW had the best response to why he didn't get a manual in his GT3.
What’d he say?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:18 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I see what you did there
Hi Alex, was that you driving the GT3 on this glorious mountain passes. I actually saw the video on YouTube before running into this thread. Great driving bud. I left couple of comments after watching the video asking if you were driving on Cup2 tires as you seem to carry good speeds on wet roads, and also left a comment regarding the ESC being on, while traction control is off which what was one of the comments shown in the video. I don’t think it is possible that you can turn traction control off and leave ESC on. You could either turn both off, or just the ESC off. Was that a typo? Again great video, and great driving. Great job bud. Mark
Old 06-09-2018, 06:31 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Hi Alex, was that you driving the GT3 on this glorious mountain passes. I actually saw the video on YouTube before running into this thread. Great driving bud. I left couple of comments after watching the video asking if you were driving on Cup2 tires as you seem to carry good speeds on wet roads, and also left a comment regarding the ESC being on, while traction control is off which what was one of the comments shown in the video. I don’t think it is possible that you can turn traction control off and leave ESC on. You could either turn both off, or just the ESC off. Was that a typo? Again great video, and great driving. Great job bud. Mark
Ha just landed In US and I think I just saw all the notifications from that video pop up. I was on delivery Dunlop's, can't remember what the model is called. I'll check all the questions in am but yes there are two buttons, one turns off ESC, one esc + TC.. I turned off the top one.. was still really wet and tight so while I wanted the ability to slip a bit I thought a minimum of granny assistance wouldn't hurt.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

If the manual is not important, and most don't want one, for some reason, everyone who has knowledge of the .2 cars always ask "did you get a manual" As if its some strange animal never seen in the wild. lol The only reason I got an allocation was due to the sales rep asking if it did not have a manual option, would I still want the car, and said NO! Not the the PDK is not amazing, just does not do it for everyone. 4 yr deposit on a rumor, I really don't think I would have gotten the car if I was not so adamant that I only wanted it if it was a manual. I fear the future of manuals will die soon and in a few years these types of cars will only be automatics.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:43 AM
BLACKMAMBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
You are smoking if you don't think Chris's route covers some vastly better driving routes than anything wales could dream of offering. Wales is great - for the UK. Compared to some of the austrian/german roads, it's a pale shadow of what a really great road is.
Where in Wales and the Alps have you driven? Would be interested to hear which roads you are comparing to come to your conclusion.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:18 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKMAMBA
Where in Wales and the Alps have you driven? Would be interested to hear which roads you are comparing to come to your conclusion.
Other than Anglesey's track itself, I reckon I've been on most of the worthwhile roads in Wales (south/mid and north). Haven't actually been to the austrian alps per where Chris3963 mentioned but a good friend whom I'd been to the Germany with assures me the Austrian roads are considerably better than where we had just driven and I thought the black forest roads were mostly better than anything to be found in wales (notable exception being the westbound b road to bala and onwards).
Old 06-11-2018, 03:28 AM
BLACKMAMBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You’re thinking of the B4391 west of Bala - it’s epic. There are also roads like the Black Mountains pass and B4358 towards Newbridge amongst others They are all stunning. The roads are different to the Alps, as is the scenery, but still excellent and the advantage is you can drive south to north through Wales and back again virtually entirely on great B roads. For testing over a variety roads and surfaces, its hard to beat. The Alps are great but you need to connect the passes which can sometimes mean motorway hauls which are less interesting.

Plus it’s a lot closer to home and a great workout for a manual gearbox!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:18 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 193 Posts

You’re thinking of the B4391 west of Bala - it’s epic. There are also roads like the Black Mountains pass and B4358 towards Newbridge amongst others They are all stunning. The roads are different to the Alps, as is the scenery, but still excellent and the advantage is you can drive south to north through Wales and back again virtually entirely on great B roads. For testing over a variety roads and surfaces, its hard to beat. The Alps are great but you need to connect the passes which can sometimes mean motorway hauls which are less interesting.

Plus it’s a lot closer to home and a great workout for a manual gearbox!
This man knows his roads..! Couldn't have put it better myself..!!
Old 06-11-2018, 06:00 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yep that's the one. I've been on the road to newbridge many times too, it's great as is the b road from brecon to builth wells. But as I said, wales is super - for the UK especially as it can be done in a looong day trip for me or an overnighter but in absolute terms, I personally would consider the continent to have the better roads and I haven't even been to the side where a good friend considers to have the very best roads (ie Austria).
Old 06-13-2018, 02:36 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Ha just landed In US and I think I just saw all the notifications from that video pop up. I was on delivery Dunlop's, can't remember what the model is called. I'll check all the questions in am but yes there are two buttons, one turns off ESC, one esc + TC.. I turned off the top one.. was still really wet and tight so while I wanted the ability to slip a bit I thought a minimum of granny assistance wouldn't hurt.
Thanka Alex and welcome back to the US. That was an epic video. I loved it and thanks for sharing it with us and for answering my questions. Mark
Old 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I stumbled another review on youtube last night by Paul Wallace. I enjoy his commentaries and his smiles especially on cars. Please turn up your speakers, this manual GT3 has a BRE exhaust. I ended up watching this video 3 times already, so intoxicating.
Sorry if this video has been posted already.

Jack

Old 06-13-2018, 04:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jackmac
I stumbled another review on youtube last night by Paul Wallace. I enjoy his commentaries and his smiles especially on cars. Please turn up your speakers, this manual GT3 has a BRE exhaust. I ended up watching this video 3 times already, so intoxicating.
Sorry if this video has been posted already.

Jack

Are you for real with this guy?! " The rear mufflers are there to heat up the rear tires quicker "
Old 06-13-2018, 04:56 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Are you for real with this guy?! " The rear mufflers are there to heat up the rear tires quicker "
I know, right? That's what the Exclusive Manufaktur Tire Warmers are for. Only a $2450 upgrade.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I know, right? That's what the Exclusive Manufaktur Tire Warmers are for. Only a $2450 upgrade.
He got that idea during a brief interruption from playing online FIFA 2018,to have a conversation with Shmee over the phone! It's amazing what goes for Youtube " car journalists "! When he mentioned the " tire warmers " I instantly lost interest and shut the video off...

Quick Reply: For all you manual romantics out there