991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all you manual romantics out there

Old 06-07-2018, 12:17 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The only thing more boring than driving with PDK are people incessantly telling everyone who will listen, or not, how boring it is.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a PDK and sat in a friend’s manual and sampled the shifter but didn’t drive it.

i think there are good arguments for both transmissions. For me, I have two other cars including an aircooled 911 that are manual so when finding my GT3 going PDK or manual was less of an issue.

i will say that the PDK on the GT3 is vastly different than the PDK in my 2016 C4S. They really can’t be compared but what it comes down to is:

PDK in “regular” 911:
feels like an auto that can be drive in manual

PDK in GT3
feels like a manual that can be driven in auto

The GT3 PDK you can feel the clutches engage, the car roll back on inclines, etc. Of course there no left foot action, but the feathering action of the right foot is still there. I tend to manual shift with the stick selector so the sense of shifting is similar.

I dont daily my GT3 but when I do and end up in traffic and on a call it’s nice to put the car in auto, exhaust on quiet and then go back to normal when ready.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing i dont like about the manual is that even if u try to rev match yourself it still feels a bit computer assisted unlike the 997gt3 which felt a lot more analog feeling doing the same and less restricted/ more rev happy if that makes any sense.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Can't go wrong with either transmission option.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:37 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
The only thing more boring than driving with PDK are people incessantly telling everyone who will listen, or not, how boring it is.

Thanks for the video! Enjoyed it.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

it's clearly personal preference. the issue was that for 991.1, porsche did not give the option for those who prefer manual. i feel they more than corrected for it in the 991.2 GT3/T. I would like to see them offer it in RS as well. There is no downside to having a choice; only upside especially for porsche. At the end of the day, none of us will be factory drivers; sure many of us are fast, so it comes down to how we each choose to enjoy these cars. so if i choose to be slower vs. w/pdk on a track, but feel more reward and involvement then that is my preference. to me when dropping $200k, you want to ensure max enjoyment right? but at same time, others may want to focus more on their lines, braking and gas and not worry about changing gears, etc. to me, it's about choice vs. convincing others which is better.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:36 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

I had a pdk-s GT3 i have a manual GT3

that video is only and always the same bull**** marketing
any video from catchpole is the same overhyping regardless the car the year

anyway both pdk-s and manual
are equally even in different ways
fun!

practically the only difference that pdk-s can't match vs the manual
is that the manual let you "abuse" the car through putting in sooner a downshift gear
upsetting the car *** and overall car dynamics

more brutal on downshift more is the car responding

same bruteforce applied realising the clutch whilst upshifting and you get some kind of car liveness eventhough less strong than when downshifting

something that works against time performance and at the cost of the car durability
Old 06-07-2018, 05:15 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
I had a pdk-s GT3 i have a manual GT3

that video is only and always the same bull**** marketing
any video from catchpole is the same overhyping regardless the car the year

anyway both pdk-s and manual
are equally even in different ways
fun!

practically the only difference that pdk-s can't match vs the manual
is that the manual let you "abuse" the car through putting in sooner a downshift gear
upsetting the car *** and overall car dynamics

more brutal on downshift more is the car responding

same bruteforce applied realising the clutch whilst upshifting and you get some kind of car liveness eventhough less strong than when downshifting

something that works against time performance and at the cost of the car durability
I agree 100%. These guys watch a bunch of other reviews and then fall in line. I thought JWW had the best response to why he didn't get a manual in his GT3. But honestly, if I walked into a dealership and they had a .2 in PDK or MT, it would probably come down to how the rest of the car was spec'd. I could drive either, knowing each have their pros and cons.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.With a manual I can make excuses to not let certain people drive the car. lol
2. I can always buy self driving cars in the future.
3. People talk about tracking and getting the best time in a pdk. Less relevant on the track than what people think. Tires and Seat time more important. In reality lots of Racers in gutted/raced out boxsters w/ sequential shifter at the track put recent gt3rs owners to shame.
PDK more relevant in street launching /draging .
4.It used to be pcar owners with gt cars would track their cars instead of C&C and street dragging. Then again we got more new blood for the brand just hope they are not just posing.

Just like a previous rennlister mentioned on what the current gt cars are representing. From drivers car, to collector poser status. Probably should have made the gt3 rs cars with sequential shifter.
Then again future buyers never learned on a manual in order to get their D/L. Would of weeded out competition buyers thus no ADM and crazy wait time. Probably Not what porsche wanted
Old 06-07-2018, 08:40 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreasPeriera

Those are On Clouds, a swiss running shoes brand. I find them very comfy for daily wear.
yep. Have a pair and very comfy. And yes, they work fantastically for heel-toe. But automatic drivers wouldn’t know anything about that lol

Old 06-07-2018, 09:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I wear Clouds daily (including to work) I think Henry has a different model in the vid though - maybe these:

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/pro...w-m?taxon_id=2

or these:

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/t/mens?activities=performance&product_type=shoes

I like Clouds better though, since there is no need to tie them (ultimate laziness)...
Old 06-08-2018, 01:00 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I see what you did there
Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 AM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...n-the-911-gt3/

I have been driving manual transmission cars for the past twenty years. Have had my manual E92 M3 for the last nine years. I consider myself competent in heel and toe, pretty much automatic reflex, no need to consciously coordinate anything. I also go to the Laguna Seca and Thunderhill about 5-10 days a year and turn in decent lap times. After going to the track, driving on windy roads have become a lot less appealing to me due to the limitation of pushing the car without compromising safety. The article above accurately captures my perspective about manual vs. PDK.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,266 Posts

just get which ever gearbox you like
or get both
your money, you spend it how you like it
and once you drive both, and provided you actually know how to drive, it's not just the gearbox. they have different diff. and feels very different in terms of rear grip. that should have some bearing on your decision.
manual box's diff doesn't bite as quick as the diff in pdk (for 991.2gt3).
one isnt' better than the other. what do YOU like.

and i have ridden with many manual box drivers who wants to be "involved". 70% of them can't heel and toe right. and are shifting too often. just put it in 3rd gear and let it be. the more you shift, the slower u are. but to each his own.

i love many manual and love my pdks
i even love my duramax dually
Old 06-08-2018, 12:09 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Thank you mooty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For all you manual romantics out there