For all you manual romantics out there

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 02:30 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have two problems with the car.

First is the noise inside. Its loud (and I don't mind loud) but its a highly unpleasant loud. Not something you want to subject yourself to for a long period. And related to the noise issue is the exhaust. In the GT3.2 PDK, you can more more easily dip into the flaps opening zone of 3,600+ rpm (and hence a nicer sound) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd because of the slightly shorter gearing in the PDK due to the extra gear. Also, you get a nice "pfuump" sound when the PDK changes up at these lower revs. I.e. you get to enjoy the sound of the car at much lower speeds in the PDK. But in the manual, its a lot harder to dip into that nice exhaust zone because of the higher gearing when driving around town. And you don't get the nice "pfuump" sound on upshift. This issue is compounded too I think by the fact that in my observation, the flaps open slightly later in the manual compared to the PDK. So at anything under 4000 rpm in the GT3T, it just feels like a regular Carrera. Whereas I always feel like I am driving something special in the GT3.2 PDK.

Second is the manual gearbox. I do not like the 4th to 5th, 5th to 6th or 6th to 5th changes. The detente is so strongly biased to the 3-4 position that you really have to be very deliberate with:
- the 4 to 5 up shift where you really have to push the shifter much too deliberately to the right and up. If you don't, you end up in 3rd.
- the 5 to 6 up shift where you have to (at least I do) alter your hand position on the knot to make sure you pull back and down to get 6th otherwise you end up in 4th far too easily
- the 6 to 5 down shift where you have to make sure you have some sideways force in up shift motion otherwise it will naturally fall into 3rd too easily.

And I am not the first person who has driven that car and commented on this.

And just to be clear, I do not have any of these issues with my 997 GT3 RS or my 964 RS (which admittedly is not a 6th spd box).

IMHO, my GT3.2 is a much better tourer than my GT3T. And so is my 997 GT3 RS for that matter. Instead of the GT3T being the first car my mind goes to when thinking about a long trip, its actually the last.
This is only my second car (but my first one was a manual as well). So it's not like I have a wealth of experience with a lot of different manual transmissions—although I've driven plenty of other manual cars, just not owned them.

That said, I have noticed the additional focus required to cleanly shift from 4 to 5 to 6 and back down, as you say. However, where I differ is... I just don't care. It really isn't a big deal. And frankly, it really is nitpicking. Like you need to be actively hunting to find something to complain about to point out it's slightly more difficult to hit a 4-5 shift. All it takes is a little more sideways pressure. Is it something to think about? Yes. Does it really bother me enough to want to get rid of the car? Hell no.

RE: induction sound on shifts between PDK and manual. Keep in mind your car is a Touring. The inductions sound is slightly different compared to a winged version. My manual GT3.2 (with wing), sounds the same as a PDK (with wing). It has all those "fwhap" and "untsss" induction sounds when you shift and blip the throttle. I can't speak to the Touring, as I've not driven one. But I've driven a few GT3s and GT3RSs and they all sounded about the same to me. *shrug*
Old 06-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I guess aural sensations and preferences are very different among people. I find the GT3 too quiet, so I got the Sharkwerks, but when I got my Touring, I decided to try a different center-muffler pipe which has a cross section connecting the gases between left and right pipe, and it is very noticeably louder but in a pleasant way. The two cars are similarly loud at around 3600 rpm with Sport Exhaust button activated, but aside from that, the Touring with the louder exhaust just has a louder tone that is on all the time from idle and up through the rev range. I don't even hit the Sport Exhaust button on that car most of the time. I love how my Touring sounds with the new pipe, and have taken day trips many times with that car. The "Wing" car with Sharkwerks is loud only at idle and around 3600 rpm with Sport Exhaust button activated. BTW, I used a decibel meter to measure both at idle and at 3000 rpm, and my Touring with the louder exhaust has a higher average decibel but same peak decibel.

I am not saying the Touring is louder or quieter than the Wing car; just that with a noticeably louder exhaust, the Touring for my tastes is perfect for aural excitement and also for long trips.

First is the noise inside. Its loud (and I don't mind loud) but its a highly unpleasant loud. Not something you want to subject yourself to for a long period. And related to the noise issue is the exhaust. In the GT3.2 PDK, you can more more easily dip into the flaps opening zone of 3,600+ rpm (and hence a nicer sound) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd because of the slightly shorter gearing in the PDK due to the extra gear. Also, you get a nice "pfuump" sound when the PDK changes up at these lower revs. I.e. you get to enjoy the sound of the car at much lower speeds in the PDK. But in the manual, its a lot harder to dip into that nice exhaust zone because of the higher gearing when driving around town. And you don't get the nice "pfuump" sound on upshift. This issue is compounded too I think by the fact that in my observation, the flaps open slightly later in the manual compared to the PDK. So at anything under 4000 rpm in the GT3T, it just feels like a regular Carrera. Whereas I always feel like I am driving something special in the GT3.2 PDK.

Second is the manual gearbox. I do not like the 4th to 5th, 5th to 6th or 6th to 5th changes. The detente is so strongly biased to the 3-4 position that you really have to be very deliberate with:
- the 4 to 5 up shift where you really have to push the shifter much too deliberately to the right and up. If you don't, you end up in 3rd.
- the 5 to 6 up shift where you have to (at least I do) alter your hand position on the knot to make sure you pull back and down to get 6th otherwise you end up in 4th far too easily
- the 6 to 5 down shift where you have to make sure you have some sideways force in up shift motion otherwise it will naturally fall into 3rd too easily.

And just to be clear, I do not have any of these issues with my 997 GT3 RS or my 964 RS (which admittedly is not a 6th spd box).

IMHO, my GT3.2 is a much better tourer than my GT3T. And so is my 997 GT3 RS for that matter. Instead of the GT3T being the first car my mind goes to when thinking about a long trip, its actually the last.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:50 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yes I agree, there's no rhythm, the roads are too tight... But the video was intended more to support the original point of your thread, I just happen to have just edited this video.
Alexio, thanks for sharing. It looked pretty wet up there. Were you on the sport cup 2s? Seems like they were doing a decent job. What was the temp like?
Old 06-06-2018, 06:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Good 'ole Henry is so right,you just can't beat a manual transmission!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:17 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get the "pfuump" sound every shift just dont lift the throttle until u have fully depressed the clutch, it cuts off throttle abruptly as if u were trying to do no lift shift or just like a pdk car. i actually dont like that sound though. Also noticed the flaps open later in 2nd gear and exactly at 3k rpm in rest of the gears. I also feel the shifting,rev match has gotten a lot smoother now and clutch feel has also improved (or maybe its just me) , im at 5000 km now.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Henry’s the best!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:07 AM
Trk8
Advanced

Anyone knows what kind of shoes he was wearing? Cool driving shoe for daily drive. looks like better than atheletic shoes and can save the track shoes for the track.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
If I'm doing the no lift shift, I'd prefer a pdk. If I can't have a pdk and manual, I could see the allure as an all-in-one tranny/car.
took the words out of my mouth.

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
While i absolutely love having this manual touring car, I really think the clutch is a mistake. Just not as good as previous 997 gt3 clutch.
yes. 997/996 clutch or 964 993 clutch. but not many have driven all the variants from past thus thing manual is it.

the ENGINE is really really good.
the rest.... meh.

i do have manual 9912gt3. it's easier to sell the the manual romantic at 50+ msrp ;-)
it will be for sale soon. PTS of course muahahhaaha
Old 06-07-2018, 12:27 AM
AndreasPeriera
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trk8
Anyone knows what kind of shoes he was wearing? Cool driving shoe for daily drive. looks like better than atheletic shoes and can save the track shoes for the track.
Those are On Clouds, a swiss running shoes brand. I find them very comfy for daily wear.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:32 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

man, no love for manual GT3s here lol
I am extremely happy with the shifter. Yes, it is not perfect, but damn is it entertaining and brings a smile to my face.

The points Chris discusses are valid; however, i can live with these faults. Others, can’t. Nothing wrong with that. It’s hard to pump R&D money developing an archaic technology that is manual transmission. It’s like developing a hand crank starter.

Manual trannies are now the marmite of the car industry.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:48 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
took the words out of my mouth.

yes. 997/996 clutch or 964 993 clutch. but not many have driven all the variants from past thus thing manual is it.

the ENGINE is really really good.
the rest.... meh.

i do have manual 9912gt3. it's easier to sell the the manual romantic at 50+ msrp ;-)
it will be for sale soon. PTS of course muahahhaaha
Don't do it! Sell it that is... you need to keep a modern one around for reference, otherwise you might be labeled a luddite (LOL!)
Personally hated the 997.2 clutch effort. For fast shifting it was fine, but never a fan of the 997 manual transmission for many reasons: gearbox linkage, the fact the transmission needed a flush almost after every track weekend to stay smooth, and let's not talk about the diff made of cardboard and the synchros made of soft brass!

Originally Posted by neurotic
man, no love for manual GT3s here lol
I am extremely happy with the shifter. Yes, it is not perfect, but damn is it entertaining and brings a smile to my face.

The points Chris discusses are valid; however, i can live with these faults. Others, can’t. Nothing wrong with that. It’s hard to pump R&D money developing an archaic technology that is manual transmission. It’s like developing a hand crank starter.

Manual trannies are now the marmite of the car industry.
Is that like Vegemite?
Learned taste and not for everyone.
If it's like a manual GT3, then I'll eat it.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:56 AM
Trk8
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AndreasPeriera

Those are On Clouds, a swiss running shoes brand. I find them very comfy for daily wear.
thanks for reply
Old 06-07-2018, 01:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I've always wondered what Henry would look like bald.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

summed up
put feeling to words
Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

montoya,

i like the clutch on 7 hated the shifter.
i liek the shifter on GT4/9912GT3 and 991R hated the clutch
one day they will get it right

Quick Reply: For all you manual romantics out there