Sponsored by:

Just gave up my allocation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
You’ve missed the point of a GT car. You don’t need to track it to enjoy it. Situational driving on streets and highways are a blast. The passion and enthusiasm for the car are felt at legal speeds. That’s what distinguishes GT cars from regular 911’s. That said, if your **** about keeping the car pristine you’re right high end sport cars are not for you. The fact that you posted your decision indicates your unsure you did the right thing.
Gotta be honest here. I miss my Boxster for all the reasons you're talking about. I spent a lot of time with my GT3 on the streets putting on break-in miles and taking a few trips. I'm doing another one this weekend to let my sister and brother-in-law drive it. Beyond that though... I've had very little desire to take it out and just go for a drive. I'd do that in my Boxster, especially into the evening when the traffic was gone and I could just enjoy myself with the top down, playing with the car.

The GT3 is EPIC on the track, which is what I bought it for. On the roads though... I preferred the Boxster.

Don't read anything I wrote here as regret. I bought the GT3 for the track and there's no end to how much I can gush about how much fun I've been having with it. But for someone with no intention of going to a track? I think he did the right thing.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree the Boxster is a great little sport car. Occasionally I drive my wife's Boxster and enjoy tooling around in it. BUT it doesn't have the excitement of a GT car. To each is own.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree the Boxster is a great little sport car. Occasionally I drive my wife's Boxster and enjoy tooling around in it. BUT it doesn't have the excitement of a GT car. To each is own.
I'm sure a Boxster is great, but not to be confused with a 981 Spyder! It truly has ruined most other variants of 911 for me, not to mention other sports cars.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Well... I'm not gonna sit here and argue against a GT3 being exciting. The OP isn't the first person I've heard of passing on one though. Both were in favour of something more geared for street driving and I honestly think they'll enjoy their cars more than if they had a GT3 for what they'll be using them for.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:02 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I had the option of either giving up my GT3 allocation or selling my Spyder, and I chose to give up the GT3 and keep the Spyder. I debated it long and hard though. Tough decision.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
There are only 46 .2 GT3's on cars.com.....the lowest being $161K...........only 32 with pics of actual cars......the others are likely customer cars that auto-populate the website.....demand probably still outpaces supply.....
many of those car actually do NOT exist.
i used to use car.com autotrader etc
try call them up. you will see the game.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:29 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

good to know what you want beyond the hype.
the GT3 is very specific and if you are not expecting the GT3 ride and functionality, you will not be satisfied.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:45 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep these cars have grown to become what they were not intended. As a representation of status or image or "what real drivers drive" or the "best" 911, these cars are just another in the long line of prestige machines yet that is not what they are intended for. Porsche really want to give a track machine for the street and as such it really isn't practical for most of the buyers out there. If I didn't love the track and machines built for it, I would gladly save my money and buy something just as fun and just and wonderful like a Spyder, Turbo, 911 T, insert your favorite here. I think the C4S is all the car anyone would need or want. Great practicality, all weather, all season use, room for everything and great to look at and fun on the track. You can spec it with Manual of PDK, rear wheel steering or not, PTS and no waiting or ADMs, any stitching no need for aproval. I still think about buying a 997.2C4S and may just do that........then I start thinking about the track........
Old 06-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Agree with you Nick.

I thought the GT4 was the ultimate Driver's street car but the .2 GT3 Manual just elevated to a whole different level( I am not a convertible guy). The .2 is a Blast on the street
Old 06-07-2018, 04:30 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I can see someone giving up their allocation for a GT3. It comes down to several things for me.

1. Do you have the time to enjoy the car on the street during the weekday?
Just about any place is going to have traffic on the weekends. Can you get out on a Tuesday at 11am?

2. Do you have the roads to enjoy the car?
I am talking about the condition of the roads (good shape or potholes everywhere?) AND the type of roads (twisties). Because driving a GT3 on lousy roads that are boring is going to get old fast.

3. What does the traffic situation look like?
I don't enjoy driving behind someone in a Prius going 5 mph below the speed limit. It just gets frustrating. I also like it when people are inclined to let you pass, when you do run into some traffic.

4. What does the weather situation look like?
Do you have a decent number of days each month throughout the year to take the car out?

The answer to these questions would help me decide if I wanted to own a GT3 or not, UNLESS I was going to mainly track the car. Then it would come down to proximity to good tracks. When we lived in Southern California, for example, items 2 and 3 were absolute killers. The condition of the roads were very poor, and it took way too long to get to decent roads. And there was nothing but traffic most of the time. That means you are just cruising PCH, or driving freeways in traffic. So I drove a Lexus.

Where you live and your intended use are huge factors in owning a car like a GT3 imo.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

That's what the spyder is for

Quick Reply: Just gave up my allocation