Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried DIY side PORSCHE decal for Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Anyone tried DIY side PORSCHE decal for Touring?

I am thinking of doing black/yellow (to match PCCB) side Porsche stripe to add some spice to my incoming car. I asked some local installers and they want to charge $500 to $700 on top of my PPF fee to put these decals on. I can justify paying 7k for full PPF job, but $500 to slap these stickers on the sides seems little too pricey and this definitely doesn't look like a rocket science.

Did some research and seems like it's a pretty simple process as long as you have the right equipment.

Few questions

1) Has anyone done this him/herself? Is it easy for a guy trying it for the first time?

2) I'm planning to do this over PPF, if I fail and try to re-do it, will be peel off PPF as well? (Prolly XPEL or Suntek)

3) The bottom photo is what I envision minus the hood stripes. What do you guys think?

Old 06-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

$500??? I tried to do it myself on my RS. Totally screwed it up. Took it to a local installer and they charged me $20 to put the side scripts on. Now Ive taken a bunch of cars to these guys but still- $500??? no way Jose!
Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
$500??? I tried to do it myself on my RS. Totally screwed it up. Took it to a local installer and they charged me $20 to put the side scripts on. Now Ive taken a bunch of cars to these guys but still- $500??? no way Jose!
I thought it was ridiculously high.

How hard is it? Seems pretty easy on the youtube vid.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:19 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Yes.. easy peasy, I did it while parked outside my hotel in Austria... took about two hours, but I was interrupted by a street procession where I had to stand at attention (out of respect) while my stuff was drying out.. I was freaking out but it all turned out ok. Could have taken less time but I was enjoying the process and drinking beer with some German motorcyclists in the meantime.

Here are the basics.

-clean the car
-make friends with German motorcyclists who will cheer you on while sipping beer and making funny jokes about you. "Look at funny sticker man!"
-measure desired height of sticker , use 911R pic from google for reference.
-use painters tape to affix the sticker on. Measure height with tape along a few sections.
-half way across the car.. fix the sticker with more tape, then let other half fall to the ground.
-peel backing off other half and wet the back of the sticker with water sprayer.
-gently apply it on car and squeegee out any bubbles.
-let Austrian procession pass while standing at attention and surreptitiously keep spraying the back of the sticker while pretending to be solemnly paying attention.

Let procession pass, smile at any cute Austrian girls, then get back to work.

-tape over the finished section to hold it in place by using the painters tape vertically and then work on the other half.
-Squeegie other side also so the back is a little wet. Apply into place using previous tape markings.
-cut with razor blade where door gaps are, bend sticker over where you want it to end, and cut the sticker to size where you folded it.
-use a 911R photo from google again for easy reference.
-let sticker dry for an hour at least before removing the protective paper on the front.
-voila.. you're a badass! Pat yourself on the back, drink the beer YA!
-take lots of pics of your handiwork and find any reason possible to post these pictures.
- Add evil grin emoji

-consider adding a light-up UBER sticker to your windshield just to confuse the locals.

-oh.. then go drive the Stelvio pass

-Once in Italy, join the Pagani Rally (reason for the number plate on the door in some of my shots).

Adding in some fun pics from Pagani Rally because I'm too ADD to stay completely on-topic.

(You can also skip a few of these steps and still have a great result)
Attached Images                        
The following 3 users liked this post by CAlexio:
matthewlesko (02-08-2021), Porschewasher (05-06-2022), Watson (02-10-2024)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

He is right. Its not hard. Im just an idiot. Just requires some patience.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yes.. easy peasy, I did it while parked outside my hotel in Austria... took about two hours, but I was interrupted by a street procession where I had to stand at attention (out of respect) while my stuff was drying out.. I was freaking out but it all turned out ok. Could have taken less time but I was enjoying the process and drinking beer with some German motorcyclists in the meantime.

Here are the basics.

-clean the car
-make friends with German motorcyclists who will cheer you on while sipping beer and making funny jokes about you. "Look at funny sticker man!"
-use painters tape to affix the sticker on. Measure height with tape along a few sections.
-half way across the car.. fix the sticker with more tape, then let other half fall to the ground.
-peel backing off other half and wet the back of the sticker with water sprayer.
-let Austrian procession pass while standing at attention and surreptitiously keep spraying the back of the sticker while pretending to be solemnly paying attention.

https://youtu.be/QcNhpK-uDLw

-tape over the finished section to hold it in place by using the painters tape vertically and then work on the other half.
-Squeegie other side also so the back is a little wet. Apply into place using previous tape markings.
-cut with razor blade where door gaps are, bend sticker over where you want it to end, and cut the sticker to size where you folded it.
-let sticker dry for an hour at least before removing the protective paper on the front.
-take lots of pics of your handiwork and find any reason possible to post these pictures.
- Add evil grin emoji

-consider adding a light-up UBER sticker to your windshield just to confuse the locals.

-oh.. then go drive the Stelvio pass and then join the Pagani Rally (reason for the number plate on the door in some of my shots).

Adding in some fun pics from Pagani Rally because I'm too ADD to stay completely on-topic.

LOL

Damn yours look nice. Where did you get the decal? I'm thinking of renndecal since they only have black/yellow combo.

Did you eyeball from 911R photo from online or is there some accurate dimensions online where I can find it (how far my decal should be from bottom of the door and etc)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

Here are the basics.

-clean the car

- Add evil grin emoji

-oh.. then go drive the Stelvio pass and then join the Pagani Rally (reason for the number plate on the door in some of my shots).

Awesome story, with great results! My hero!!

I'm looking to replace just the lettering on Porsche's CXX factory install with yellow.

Last edited by NVRANUF; 06-04-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Now THATS’s a good story!
OP I’d say that quote has a lot of porsche tax!
I have no idea what I should pay for this, but if I’m quoted anything crazy, I’ll be
DIY’ing too! And in case I have to, I have 3 pairs to play around with 😅!
It shouldn’t be too hard, I figure I should have at least an extra pair for “incidentals”. As I’ll
be putting them over PPF to avoid that ‘halo’.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me about an hour my first try. I'm guessing it will take a professional less than 30 minutes. Round up to an hour and say they charge a super high hourly rate of $100. That's the most I would pay.

$500?? You better be getting some legal advice with the install lol.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:13 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default DIY - YES $50

1) Yes, you can do it
2) No, all will be OK
3) Love them, just bought the same for $50

Just got these from RennDecal (Thank you RL'ers for referring them)
https://renndecals.com/collections/t...-triple-stripe
Two are the Black Yellow you show below in both Singer height and standard height.
$50 a set, two sides in a set - so cheap i went on a shopping spree and bought 5 sets LoL !

Originally Posted by Ascend

I am thinking of doing black/yellow (to match PCCB) side Porsche stripe to add some spice to my incoming car. I asked some local installers and they want to charge $500 to $700 on top of my PPF fee to put these decals on. I can justify paying 7k for full PPF job, but $500 to slap these stickers on the sides seems little too pricey and this definitely doesn't look like a rocket science.

Did some research and seems like it's a pretty simple process as long as you have the right equipment.

Few questions

1) Has anyone done this him/herself? Is it easy for a guy trying it for the first time?

2) I'm planning to do this over PPF, if I fail and try to re-do it, will be peel off PPF as well? (Prolly XPEL or Suntek)

3) The bottom photo is what I envision minus the hood stripes. What do you guys think?

PS - perhaps consider black wheels
Old 06-04-2018, 11:39 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Provie
Now THATS’s a good story!
OP I’d say that quote has a lot of porsche tax!
I have no idea what I should pay for this, but if I’m quoted anything crazy, I’ll be
DIY’ing too! And in case I have to, I have 3 pairs to play around with 😅!
It shouldn’t be too hard, I figure I should have at least an extra pair for “incidentals”. As I’ll
be putting them over PPF to avoid that ‘halo’.

Let us know how it goes

Originally Posted by johnny2five
It took me about an hour my first try. I'm guessing it will take a professional less than 30 minutes. Round up to an hour and say they charge a super high hourly rate of $100. That's the most I would pay.

$500?? You better be getting some legal advice with the install lol.
I'll just DIY... $500 for slapping some stickers on ... not right

Originally Posted by Perimeter
1) Yes, you can do it
2) No, all will be OK
3) Love them, just bought the same for $50

Just got these from RennDecal (Thank you RL'ers for referring them)
https://renndecals.com/collections/t...-triple-stripe
Two are the Black Yellow you show below in both Singer height and standard height.
$50 a set, two sides in a set - so cheap i went on a shopping spree and bought 5 sets LoL !

PS - perhaps consider black wheels
Yeah I'm going to black wheel. Should be a better match.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Received 364 Likes on 158 Posts

LOL- Alexio you are my hero!

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. They're pretty easy to screw up if you've never worked with vinyl before, but a decent shop really shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to install them. Even if they charge $150 an hour, it shouldn't be more than $75 to install. Shoot, back when we used to do installs we rarely charge for something so simple. We'd just request hot coffee upon arrival.

My biggest pet peeve with the 911 R stickers is the trimming. A lot of shops will wrap the stickers all the way around the wheel arches. This is incorrect. They should be short trimmed to match factory/CXX specs as Alexio did with his. Even at the seams of the door/fenders they should be slightly short trimmed. This will prevent lifting in the seams, and rock chips destroying the vinyl in the wheel wells.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:07 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NS2 Media

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. They're pretty easy to screw up if you've never worked with vinyl before, but a decent shop really shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to install them. Even if they charge $150 an hour, it shouldn't be more than $75 to install. Shoot, back when we used to do installs we rarely charge for something so simple. We'd just request hot coffee upon arrival.

My biggest pet peeve with the 911 R stickers is the trimming. A lot of shops will wrap the stickers all the way around the wheel arches. This is incorrect. They should be short trimmed to match factory/CXX specs as Alexio did with his. Even at the seams of the door/fenders they should be slightly short trimmed. This will prevent lifting in the seams, and rock chips destroying the vinyl in the wheel wells.
I believe 1Gunner's are from factory so his gives a good example of how Porsche does it.

Anyone know if the 911R strips 3" tall or 3.5"?
Old 06-07-2018, 01:10 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Here’s a close up pic of an R. Assuming stripes were factory installed, this shows where they start/end.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NS2 Media

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Here’s a close up pic of an R. Assuming stripes were factory installed, this shows where they start/end.

Do they come trimmed at the tip right 911R or am I supposed to cut it myself?

Quick Reply: Anyone tried DIY side PORSCHE decal for Touring?