Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 GT3 RS Destroyed In Severe Isle Of Man Crash

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 17bhub
So why again are we not able to get the factory cages here in the states?
I don't remember how BMW got around it w/ the M4 GTS, but the US Government thinks that would be akin to selling a race car for the street.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
I don't remember how BMW got around it w/ the M4 GTS, but the US Government thinks that would be akin to selling a race car for the street.
That explains it!!! - still do not know what the M4 GTS looks like. It is just a fugly looking sedan in my mind
Old 06-06-2018, 06:28 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

They put padding around the Bar nearest to the persons head. All Porsche needs to do...
Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

what I was referring to above.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

That's not it. US regs test for sufficient material deformation around the head area. Roll bar needs to be padded, as BMW, Jeep, and others do. Remember that US regs assume occupants are not belted in; EU regs assume they are.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

BMW can do it.
Others sell it in an offroad only box.

Porsche FAIL, big time..

Refuses to sell us the parts that let us live when an accident happens while using the car as intended.

I told AP in person, he agree that if Dodge can do it, they should be able to as well.
Followed up in writing more then 6 months ago. No response (I didn't expect any). But no action either and that's surprising.

I simply don't understand why they let this happen!?
2:12 at Sebring without cage is not funny.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:23 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
BMW can do it.
I told AP in person, he agree that if Dodge can do it, they should be able to as well.
Followed up in writing more then 6 months ago. No response (I didn't expect any). But no action either and that's surprising.
Agree there should be a way to make it happen. The OEM half-cage is a certified safety part; what is the basis for the DOT to outlaw the same, and on what expert opinion?

RS'es *should* come with a cage like RoW, or in the least, have that in a box for aftermarket install. Would be pretty cool that way too--like how the original 2.7 RS ducktail was supplied in a box because it was too "radical" for German authorities at the time...
Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
Agree there should be a way to make it happen. The OEM half-cage is a certified safety part; what is the basis for the DOT to outlaw the same, and on what expert opinion?

RS'es *should* come with a cage like RoW, or in the least, have that in a box for aftermarket install. Would be pretty cool that way too--like how the original 2.7 RS ducktail was supplied in a box because it was too "radical" for German authorities at the time...
Amen
Old 06-07-2018, 04:18 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

BMW can do it.
Others sell it in an offroad only box.

Porsche FAIL, big time..

Refuses to sell us the parts that let us live when an accident happens while using the car as intended.

Gave Andy a hard time about it last two times I was over, as well. He wants to have it, and has tried.

All of the ^ is correct, and my take is that—if the structural members are as close to my head as they are in a 981 (and that's pretty close) and can be certified, then surely the 991 half cage can be certified with some padding added, right? Apparently not that easy, due to geometries and where the 991 bars go vs some other cars. Also suspect at least as much of the problem is PAG's view of US litigation, which is hard to blame them for given the 930 and CGT suits. See sub strap holes in RH LWBs, etc.

But yes, it is a bummer that a test for unbelted child safety (which, once I looked into it, is a surprisingly good law given how stupid far more parents than I expected are) is compromising safety for other Americans using these cars as intended. Maybe they will have a solution with the 992? It's a real bummer with the .2 2RS and 3RS...as the Ti cage is a thing of beauty.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Hi Pete,

thank you!

Your name came up today actually as we did another comparison aka musical chair with some awesome cars in your neck of the woods and you may want to share that, as you can like nobody else.

I was just a guest but you know all the brains behind the madness.

I see your points and fully agree. BUT.. If Porsche would care who lives or dies in GT cars, then it would be an easy solution to let someone sell all the Clubsport stuff in a box for offroad use only.

Worst case scenario to mega distance themselves, they could turn a blind eye to have someone sell “knock offs”.

Others care and can and do.
They should ask their legal department about the scenario of a future widow with a half decent ambulance chaser that’s gonna figure this out.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:04 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
And possibly a roll cage which the car had. Confoundingly, it appears to have happened on a very straight piece for road. Maybe suicidal, stray rabbit or something!

What's that single black line on the asphalt? Like tyre mark, which is addd with a scraping line just before dirt. Puncture? Mark from braking and wheel contacting asphalt while car starts to roll to left?

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
What's that single black line on the asphalt? Like tyre mark, which is addd with a scraping line just before dirt. Puncture? Mark from braking and wheel contacting asphalt while car starts to roll to left?
It's the right front tire/wheel that seems to be missing in the photos. No direct right side photos, though.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That's not it. US regs test for sufficient material deformation around the head area. Roll bar needs to be padded, as BMW, Jeep, and others do. Remember that US regs assume occupants are not belted in; EU regs assume they are.
Thanks, I don't live in the US.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Porsche-sanctioned Russian Roulette

Originally Posted by stout
..as the Ti cage is a thing of beauty.
Indeed.

At at least weld in the bloody mounting plates so that we can do a proper installation on our own. Seriously, it ain’t that hard. Not like having mounting plates under the carpet is going to lead to an explosion in lawsuits. Their marketing strategy alone poses a far greater risk...
Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
It's the right front tire/wheel that seems to be missing in the photos. No direct right side photos, though.
I don't see how it can be the right front tire unless he is going in backwards.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Destroyed In Severe Isle Of Man Crash