Sponsored by:

It's here! My Lava orange GT3T

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Absolutely stunning. I still go back and forth on whether I should have ordered my RS in Lava instead of GR.
My GTS is GR and it's a stunning color with its orange hues. Can never go wrong with GR. That being said, I think Lava works just as well with the black complements on the RS. I too have toyed with changing my RS order to Lava to match the Touring (it's pending PTS now) - it truly is an amazing color and will certainly one day be PTS. You will definitely not see many Lava .2 RS's much like there's maybe 3 or 4 Lava Tourings in the US (hopeful!).

For comparison with the above photo of my Lava Touring, below is a shot of my GR GTS in same location/lighting. GR is gorgeous.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:12 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 259 Posts

I just locked in a Miami car!!!
Old 08-23-2018, 08:24 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I just locked in a Miami car!!!
isnt the lava car yours?
Old 08-23-2018, 11:34 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2006m5

isnt the lava car yours?
I think he means a Miami 3RS
Old 08-24-2018, 02:08 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

I finally saw LO up close and personal at the Rare Shades PTS event in Santa Cruz. I give it two thumbs up. To my eyes, it is orange. It (a 911 R, actually) was sitting next to an older 911 in tangerine orange. They looked pretty much identical. I thought about getting LO on a winged GT3 but I opted for light ivory on a GT3T when I scored a PTS slot. I did not think "salmon pink" when I saw the LO 911 R. I have attached some pictures from Rare Shades. The first is pastel orange which is cool but I prefer LO. Pastel is more, well, pastel... I also included a picture of the LO 911 R next to the tangerine 911.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:17 PM
toddjude
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Yeah the standard is black and stitching so I went with silver stitching and belts in mine.

i think silver just blends well in the interior. It’s very neutral and non-controversial. I almost did yellow stitching in my Miami blue RS but chickened out.
Thanks - I currently have red stitching selected because that is what I have in my 991.1 gts but I think it works better on the gts because of the red tach and red calipers. My touring will have the gray tach and pccb so not sure red really fits. I like the way silver looks so i think i will either go that route or switch to the black base.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:05 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I finally saw LO up close and personal at the Rare Shades PTS event in Santa Cruz. I give it two thumbs up. To my eyes, it is orange. It (a 911 R, actually) was sitting next to an older 911 in tangerine orange. They looked pretty much identical. I thought about getting LO on a winged GT3 but I opted for light ivory on a GT3T when I scored a PTS slot. I did not think "salmon pink" when I saw the LO 911 R. I have attached some pictures from Rare Shades. The first is pastel orange which is cool but I prefer LO. Pastel is more, well, pastel... I also included a picture of the LO 911 R next to the tangerine 911.

First, wow that is an incredibly rare line up of cars in one place. It's rare alone to see a LO 911R (I think there's only a handful in the world). And Tangerine is one of my all-time favorite colors - too bad it's not PTS approved. Thank you for sharing. I actually spec'd my Touring build after the LO 911R below. Even down to the black door handles and painted headlight washers. I skipped on the roof stripes but still considering them down the line:

Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

I had heard that Tangerine went on the "denied" list after Lava Orange was formulated. There are differences, but (in the eyes of whoever decides these things at Porsche) it is too minor to justify letting people take a PTS slot for Tangerine when they can just get Lava Orange.

Compared to a related debate (anyone correct me if they think differently), the difference between Fashion Grey and Chalk is greater than the difference between Tangerine and Lava Orange.

Owning a LO car myself, I would say that it appears extremely orange and no one would mistake it for red or "pink" 99% of the time. I was shocked though to see it once around dusk, overcast, light rain (which makes everything look a bit strange color) and it did look like the orange in fresh salmon. I did a double take to make sure it was my car in fact. Photos always see that color and try to "fix" it much like Miami Blue.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I had heard that Tangerine went on the "denied" list after Lava Orange was formulated. There are differences, but (in the eyes of whoever decides these things at Porsche) it is too minor to justify letting people take a PTS slot for Tangerine when they can just get Lava Orange.

Compared to a related debate (anyone correct me if they think differently), the difference between Fashion Grey and Chalk is greater than the difference between Tangerine and Lava Orange.
That all sounds plausible as there is some visual difference between Chalk and FG (more evident when side by side), albeit one can argue the what seems like 50,000 shades of PTS blues and greens offered could spark the same LO/Tangerine debate. Have you seen Arrow Blue next to Voodoo? Or British RG vs Verde Green vs Underberg vs Brewster etc. At least from the above photos, LO and Tangerine appear very close. I’ve seen Tangerine in person nut never next to LO. My feeling is Tangerine looks closer to the actual photo where LO has a less redish tone in person. Regardless I love how dynamic LO is. But Porsche is more than happy to take our money to have a color even if it seems personally different to us, then they should bring back Tangerine.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:21 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Oh for sure, as my name implies, I think Tangerine is a wonderful color. I was thrilled when I saw LO in the flesh for the first time just as it was being made available for non-GT cars.

Quick Reply: It's here! My Lava orange GT3T