Sponsored by:

Review of the 991 gt2 rs after 140 laps on the Nurburgring

Old 06-26-2018, 01:30 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Could someone please post how to display water level? I don't have owners manual yet (never arrive with cars in U.K..)
Hi Footsoldier. Loved your photos and Martini Livery on your 2RS - Thanks for sharing!
From U.S. GT3 / GT2RS Manual, (Page 268) : A Symbol of a Water Sprayer will be displayed on your instrument panel When the Refill
Water Cooling Charge, is empty, requesting you to top off and refill the water tank and:
"Please see chapter "Water Spraying System for Charge Air Cooler on page 279"
Page 279 is a more complete description of the Water spraying system which reduces intake air temps by 27 Deg. F., 15 Deg. C.
and cautions you to empty the tank of water if OAT's drop into the freezing level, presumably to prevent tank damage from ice forming.
Page 291 has the refill quantities of water as1.3 Gallons, or 5 Liters.
In the U.S. the GT3 Manual also covers the GT2RS, so you may be able to get a Manual for your GT2RS from a GT3-2 owner or your Porsche dealer to use until yours arrives.
Lots of useful information in the Manual
Old 06-26-2018, 03:06 PM
SEB74
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
You think it's possible somebody sat on the wing for a picture while it was parked out of your sight? I own an ACR, and big wings make people do weird stuff for pictures. The 2RS wing doesn't create crazy high downforce, and I find it hard to believe aero load could cause it to break. Just a thought.
it is one option yes, we will see what porsche say
Old 06-26-2018, 03:19 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Hi Footsoldier. Loved your photos and Martini Livery on your 2RS - Thanks for sharing!
From U.S. GT3 / GT2RS Manual, (Page 268) : A Symbol of a Water Sprayer will be displayed on your instrument panel When the Refill
Water Cooling Charge, is empty, requesting you to top off and refill the water tank and:
"Please see chapter "Water Spraying System for Charge Air Cooler on page 279"
Page 279 is a more complete description of the Water spraying system which reduces intake air temps by 27 Deg. F., 15 Deg. C.
and cautions you to empty the tank of water if OAT's drop into the freezing level, presumably to prevent tank damage from ice forming.
Page 291 has the refill quantities of water as1.3 Gallons, or 5 Liters.
In the U.S. the GT3 Manual also covers the GT2RS, so you may be able to get a Manual for your GT2RS from a GT3-2 owner or your Porsche dealer to use until yours arrives.
Lots of useful information in the Manual
thanks for that, much appreciated

In fact, after I posted the question, I discovered that the refill warning comes up automatically, when I was at Silverstone last week. When I read the earlier post, I thought there was a way to show current level at all times, not just wait for it to appear as a warning,

i think I will be travelling with lots of distilled water in future... No room for luggage!
Old 06-27-2018, 03:14 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SEB74
Tomorrow i will visit my dealer with two issues happened on the ring

1/the lateral driver side macrolon screen is broken (cracked) with not trace of impact or else, maybe g FORCE i don't know it is a bit strange, the passenger side is ok

2/ More bad, the central part of my carbon wing is broken! The carbon fiber just exploded inside, with not trace of impact or other on the exterior, just on the last driving day when i looked in the mirror at 250km/h i seen the middle of the wing completely in distortion and also not good feeling on the bump (rear of the car less stable) i understood why after i seen it :-0

Nothing else, but i hope it will be covered under warranty...
Seb, certainly PAG should cover it breaking, but it may require a re-design.
Wings breaking were a far more common occurrence in the early days of Race Car Wing Development.
According to Porsche, at Maximum Speed of 211 MPH, the GT2RS Wing generates at least 750 Lbs of
Downforce at moderate settings and 992 Lbs of downforce when adjusted for maximum downforce.
Imagine Five 200 LB men standing on your wing and you can get the picture.
Downforce increases geometrically with speed, and it is doubtful that any previous GT Model has achieved
the high speeds that the GT2RS is capable of, nor the huge stresses high speeds place on Wing Design.
It is very easy to believe that those stresses increase considerably on a bumpy track as the rear end of the
car is suddenly forced upwards at a high-speed and may have caused it to break.
In other words, Seb, you are just driving too fast LOL.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:31 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

You think it's possible somebody sat on the wing for a picture while it was parked out of your sight? I own an ACR, and big wings make people do weird stuff for pictures. The 2RS wing doesn't create crazy high downforce, and I find it hard to believe aero load could cause it to break. Just a thought.

Here's that "aero" could cause.
9ff GT3 Turbo rear spoiler collapses...
Old 06-27-2018, 05:15 PM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

The 2RS wing doesn't create crazy high downforce, and I find it hard to believe aero load could cause it to break.
According to latest sportauto's supertest (7/2018) GT2RS's downforce @ 200 kmh is at front 49kg and rear 93 kg (total 142kg), this when rear wing is at "Performance" setting (+3 deg). At standard setting (-1 deg) they claim total of 107 kg, from where one can calculate front 49kg and rear 58 kg, assuming that front's df does not change when changing wing's AOA. At Vmax total df is according to them (IIRC also factory's claim ) 416 kg. So it's quite safe to say that there's around 250 kg pushing the rear down over 300 kmh. Which can be reached at Döttinger Höhe/Tiergarten.

Anyone willing to take a friend or two with him and stand on top of the wing?!

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:13 PM
SEB74
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Haved the info from the aftersale department of my porsche garage that the wing and the lateral glass will be fully replaced under warranty, both parts is already in stock, they are just waiting the wing PORSCHE sticker to take the appointment for repair 👌

Congrat porsche for that quick action/decision it is very serious and fast i will not forget 💪🏻👍🏻
Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Any new updates on this thread?

I just finished my first track weekend at VIR, and it's a very different car in some respects from my TTS, but similar in others. I'm not faster in this car yet, but I see the potential, after I relearn some of the corners...and the downforce/RWD. The other most interesting part was just how hard other drivers (in "slower cars") really wanted to stay up with me. They were driving like idiots, making it a bit more difficult to overtake and get away. I knew I'd have a target on my back, but this was crazy!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Time of 7:10 is damn impressive. My older Nespresso machine takes more time from start to finish - you're lapping the production of my morning mocha.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:29 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Any new updates on this thread?
Well not seb but on his youtube he has been breaking peoduction car records and I bet this year he and the fast guys of nurburgring in Porsche GT cars will all be competing for the lower 6:xx BTG times and finally break the damned barrier. Very low 7's already appeared in the end of the season. His gt2 rs with cup 2 r, a 991.1 RS on nitrons (nagata san here) on cup 2s, another very fast guy in a 991.2 gt3 rs on nitrons too will be more than able to do sub 7 laps. Is a matter of time and usage of cup 2 r tires. It will be a fun year to follow the 'races'from the fast guys.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Well not seb but on his youtube he has been breaking peoduction car records and I bet this year he and the fast guys of nurburgring in Porsche GT cars will all be competing for the lower 6:xx BTG times and finally break the damned barrier. Very low 7's already appeared in the end of the season. His gt2 rs with cup 2 r, a 991.1 RS on nitrons (nagata san here) on cup 2s, another very fast guy in a 991.2 gt3 rs on nitrons too will be more than able to do sub 7 laps. Is a matter of time and usage of cup 2 r tires. It will be a fun year to follow the 'races'from the fast guys.
The Ring season just started. The track is faster.
So times are gonna get lower.
Friend did a 7.01 in 991.1RS last thing last year.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
The Ring season just started. The track is faster.
So times are gonna get lower.
Friend did a 7.01 in 991.1RS last thing last year.
Team Schirmer white 991.1 RS? That's the one I'm referring. On normal cup 2. Alex with the red 991.2 gt3 rs apparently will be running the same setup too. It will be a fun year. If Seb goes full manthey kit on the gt2 rs and Bahram goes full hog with the Manthey kit, there will be some even crazier fast trains going on.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Just when I want to shoot for a 7:xx BTG, the real drivers are shooting for a 6:xx lap time.. Nuts.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Team Schirmer white 991.1 RS? That's the one I'm referring. On normal cup 2. Alex with the red 991.2 gt3 rs apparently will be running the same setup too. It will be a fun year. If Seb goes full manthey kit on the gt2 rs and Bahram goes full hog with the Manthey kit, there will be some even crazier fast trains going on.
Nope, another one: KW+MPSCR
Old 03-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Just when I want to shoot for a 7:xx BTG, the real drivers are shooting for a 6:xx lap time.. Nuts.
Practice or leave brain in the hotel room...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review of the 991 gt2 rs after 140 laps on the Nurburgring