Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 Rear Deck Torx Screws

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:01 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 Rear Deck Torx Screws

Does anyone know the size of the torx screws for the rear deck carbon fiber trim pieces?

About 12 of them flew off my car and allowed the ram air ducts to get loose at speed. The dealer doesn't know what size and says that they can't order for me because they can't find it in their parts manual.

For those of you with new GT3's I'd definitely check your ram air ducts and screens to make sure that they are not loose.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:24 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

WTF?? They just came off? You never took this apart for any reason? Did you get PPF done on the rear deck? Could the installer have taken them out to remove the scoops to do that or something?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:49 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

They are T25 heads. Cant help you with thread or length, as they are tight in there. Weird that your dealer can't find them, or use what you have left to compare and order them
Old 05-29-2018, 04:54 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

That's an odd problem....regardless, my guess is you can buy them at Home depot
Old 05-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

The current PET only shows the hinges part numbers for the 18's. Nothing else, rather strange.

For some stuff if the part is consider an assembly then individual parts (screws, nuts, bolts, etc) do not have part numbers. only the main assembly.

You could also try Mcmaster Carr www.mcmaster.com to find something that would work.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I hope the screws didn't end up in the engine. . .
Old 05-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I hope the screws didn't end up in the engine. . .
They would need to get by the filter, but that's a good point. Better check the air box, you might find one or two.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:14 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
Does anyone know the size of the torx screws for the rear deck carbon fiber trim pieces?

About 12 of them flew off my car and allowed the ram air ducts to get loose at speed. The dealer doesn't know what size and says that they can't order for me because they can't find it in their parts manual.

For those of you with new GT3's I'd definitely check your ram air ducts and screens to make sure that they are not loose.

Thanks for the tip. Can't believe they flew off.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:17 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Uhhhhh we're gonna need details on why/how this happened in the first place lol
Old 05-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

I went and looked at mine and everything seems fine. That has to have been removed for some reason and not put back properly.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

maybe add some threadlock to them as well.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:23 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

This was on a brand new car. Never disassembled. Lost approximately 6 screws per ram air duct. I haven't taken apart the bumper to access the air filter yet but I'm sure that some of the screws are in that area.

I called Porsche customer care to alert them of the problem but they referred me back to my local dealer who can't find the screw type to order new ones.

I agree that the screws should have been torqued in better from the factory.

Porsche and the dealer don't seem too concerned. Now it's on my dime to try find these replacement bolts and re-assemble to entire deck lid carbon fiber parts.

I guess that if I paid $40K more for the car then they'd consider giving me the 50 cent screws so that I can re-assemble the rear lid even though it's a factory defect.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:21 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
This was on a brand new car. Never disassembled. Lost approximately 6 screws per ram air duct. I haven't taken apart the bumper to access the air filter yet but I'm sure that some of the screws are in that area.

I called Porsche customer care to alert them of the problem but they referred me back to my local dealer who can't find the screw type to order new ones.

I agree that the screws should have been torqued in better from the factory.

Porsche and the dealer don't seem too concerned. Now it's on my dime to try find these replacement bolts and re-assemble to entire deck lid carbon fiber parts.

I guess that if I paid $40K more for the car then they'd consider giving me the 50 cent screws so that I can re-assemble the rear lid even though it's a factory defect.
If what you say is true, then that's BS from the dealer. Brand new car with factory fault = warranty issue. It's their responsibility, doesn't matter if you paid ADM, MSRP, or even below MSRP. Don't just accept this, man, give them hell!! Let us know who this dealer is, and we can give them hell for you as well!.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:46 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Seriously the most inane thing I've heard. How hard is it??

Dealer: Uh, Porsche Germany assembly guys? I got one sweet gt3 that you guys forgot to tighten the ram scoop screws on...can you please send me some?

Porsche AG: Nein!! Zis cannot be tru!!!! Ve vill mail right avay!!

Dealer: thanks

Customer: thanks for making that easy.

I mean come on. Do they only have just enough screws and Porsche is such a huge company that no one knows the specs??
Old 05-30-2018, 11:58 PM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were you ,I would go back to your dealer and have a serious discussion with the service manager. The fact that they are trying to get out of this by saying that can't find the screws in the book is a bunch of crap. It's their responsibility to figure this out, this is a warranty item due to poor workmanship. If they still give you a hassle ,tell them you will call PCNA and speak to the zone rep for your area, believe me they will not like hearing that. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Rear Deck Torx Screws