Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Early Delivery Non Weissach or Later Delivery and Weissach
Take the Early Delivery, Weissach for 13lbs isn't a big deal!
54.76%
Are you Crazy... an RS isn't an RS if it doesn't have Weissach! Just Hold out!
45.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Theoretical Question, to WP or Not WP if earlier delivery available?

Old 05-27-2018, 02:27 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Theoretical Question, to WP or Not WP if earlier delivery available?

Car is a 2019 GT3RS,

What would you do... if you had an 'October Build Date' that you could fully spec including WP... or you could get a July Build, but couldn't add WP?

Appreciate your insight!

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by SCCAForums; 05-27-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:30 AM
fruitcake
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just wait for WP
its only a few months
Old 05-27-2018, 03:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

GT3RS, orGT2RS?

Yes definitely for GT2RS, no definitely for GT3RS. I'm offering this theoretical opinion just based on aesthetics.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:46 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
GT3RS, orGT2RS?

Yes definitely for GT2RS, no definitely for GT3RS. I'm offering this theoretical opinion just based on aesthetics.
GT3RS, thank you!
Old 05-27-2018, 03:49 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an early slot July production/ Sept delivery because I didn't want WP. WP lovers will need to wait longer for a slot.

However, I didn't give WP up for early slot. I was never going to pay for that, regardless of when my slot came.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:49 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 191 Posts

In the US i would never spec WP as you can't get the gorgeous Titanium cage..I will get the WP in the UK on the premise i can spec the Ti cage and Mg wheels..In the US without these two 'must haves' i would avoid WP as i don't like the aesthetics of the all carbon hood..
Old 05-27-2018, 08:34 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

I’d wait for the WP. It’s only 3 months more. It’s the first time the RS has the option. I’d do WP, Mags, and PCCBs over any cosmetic options.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 AM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

I have this same problem , i got a production date in July 18 and delivery in September - but there was an error in the P70 Option list i.e WP . So i was to either drop the allocation or cancel the WP . I asked my sales rep to try and he got to me back 3 days ago that i can keep the WP but production will be pushed for September 18 and delivery probably around November . So i agreed .

My color is White with gold wheels , so my concern is - with the CF roof/hood - it would be too busy and too JDM styled , but i can't resist that titanium cage and exotic looking carbon fiber.

Last edited by hashash; 05-27-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:18 AM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

but mine is with the stock gold wheels - no mags
Old 05-27-2018, 01:40 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Get the car YOU want, If you really want the WP then wait. I had my car fully specced exactly as I wanted every little bit then I got greedy and sold her for a profit and when I finally figured out that the RS is the best car in its class had to resort to whatever I could find on the market. If you don't get WP and really want it, every time you see a WP car you will regret your decision....... I'm getting WP but that's because I want it, that being said I think that a Non WP car is the better looking of the options in every color.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:44 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I'm getting WP but that's because I want it, that being said I think that a Non WP car is the better looking of the options in every color.
Just curious, why are you getting the WP, if in your words non WP is better looking?

WP doesn't increase performance, doesn't reduce weight in a markedly meaningful amount, does not come with a TI roll bar like ROW.

It appears the argument for the WP is akin to the "RS is a RS" circular argument touted by many.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:29 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never buy the RS w/o the WP, just my perspective.

I just got my GT3, no RS allocation, so say what you will about armchair quarterbacking this, but it's not just the weight. To me, it would be like not speccing the LWBs, or PCCBs- its like you can find arguments against those things if you need to look for them, but in my world, the car was intended to have those things, but they drop them off to keep the advertised price down. The arguments against those things always feel weak, reaching and a bit desperate to me. Of course, do what you think will make you feel best- it is first and foremost your car, and money, and life experiences... but if you are looking for opinions, that is mine.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,725 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Here’s my 0.02¢

I specc’d WP because I think it’s unique and not something you can easily (if at all) replicate aftermarket. Maybe a carbon fiber hood (most definitely available) and roof (maybe?) could be sourced easily aftermarket but carbon fiber anti-roll bars and end links? Me thinks not.

With options like buckets or PCCBs you can easily buy those items - even OEM ones - after delivery of the car. But no so with the WP.

So if there’s any inclination that you might want it, spec it. Because if you pass up the opportunity now it’ll most likely be forever gone.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
I’d wait for the WP. It’s only 3 months more. It’s the first time the RS has the option. I’d do WP, Mags, and PCCBs over any cosmetic options.
+1!
Old 05-27-2018, 04:52 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Just curious, why are you getting the WP, if in your words non WP is better looking?
WP doesn't increase performance, doesn't reduce weight in a markedly meaningful amount, does not come with a TI roll bar like ROW.
It appears the argument for the WP is akin to the "RS is a RS" circular argument touted by many.
The "RS is an RS" argument is just a cheap fast way to describe the real difference in the RS to other cars esp the GT3. I have owned GT3s and RS cars for last few generations from 997.2 on and driven a lot of the cars in this segment. Porsche has never been about the numbers, HP, 0-60 times etc etc. The cars they built all have seemingly small incremental improvements but when put together always surpass what you might think they do to the car. The RS is only 20 HP more than the GT3 or the .1RS and weighs more in standard config, yet the improvements are obviously more than that. The RS is truly more than the some of it's parts and the feel and confidence the RS gives it's driver allow you to push far past what you think the car can do, yes it will bite you but only at the limit, Yes the GT3 does this as well but is far less planted, far less stableand also more forgiving. The small improvements of the RS over the GT3 create a massively more capable track car. The weissach package may be a smaller incremental difference but I know Porsche places these things in important areas. The sway bars and end links, the roof the wing may not seem like much but I have no doubt that the sum of all those small gains will create better handling faster turn in and better"feel" from the suspension due to less weight. Adding lightness to a car is almost exponential in it's improvements. Many drivers don't care about these things, many more drivers care more about appearance and lets face it, there are a lot better looking cars out there; but there are no better Drivers cars out there, no cars with better feel handling and performance on a race track. The Weissach Package in my opinion, will once again give just that little improvement that gives more to the driver just as every Porsche does. Look at the R, by softening the car they allowed for another small difference that, on the road, gives the driver just that little extra and in so doing provides a driving experience beyond it's components and after driving my Touring for the past 3 months I know why people love the R and hey it's an R. Driving the Touring on the track is that much more special but nothing compared to the RS. What would I like on the street? I prefer the Touring but I know most would prefer the R again very special cars, more than the some of their parts. What would I rather drive on the Track? The RS and because of these small differences, I have full confidence that Porsche will deliver once again with the new RS and the New Weissach Package respectively. So yea an RS is an RS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Theoretical Question, to WP or Not WP if earlier delivery available?