Sponsored by:

SIM CARD standard equipment in new car

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:16 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts
Default SIM CARD standard equipment in new car

Hi I just picked up my new GT 3, and I was wondering is the SIM card meant to be activated and put in the car by the dealer OR is that something that I need to purchase and set up an account??
Old 05-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by maspirito
Hi I just picked up my new GT 3, and I was wondering is the SIM card meant to be activated and put in the car by the dealer OR is that something that I need to purchase and set up an account??

The sim card is no longer provided, for the services the PCM has an embedded sim that is activated. If you want the hotspot enabled, then you need to get a sim card from ATT. Another carrier may work.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

Random question.....does the Nav have traffic updates on it. I have nav on my Macan GTS but since I didn't get Porsche Connect Plus I don't have traffic on the maps (silly that you need to spend another 1700 for that) It's nice nav is standard on my incoming 3 but wasn't sure if it had the traffic function since I didn't see anything related to that in the configuration tool.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:43 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm curious also, i believe in order for you to have the live traffic you need to activate the SIM card and pay for the Porsche connect service...Double slap on this one with Porsche
Old 05-22-2018, 06:34 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
Random question.....does the Nav have traffic updates on it. I have nav on my Macan GTS but since I didn't get Porsche Connect Plus I don't have traffic on the maps (silly that you need to spend another 1700 for that) It's nice nav is standard on my incoming 3 but wasn't sure if it had the traffic function since I didn't see anything related to that in the configuration tool.
The GT3 has connect plus included as a standard option. You get the google traffic and google maps, plus map updates. You also get the car connect which shows you location of the car and you can remotely lock/unlock the doors.

Originally Posted by islandsnow
i'm curious also, i believe in order for you to have the live traffic you need to activate the SIM card and pay for the Porsche connect service...Double slap on this one with Porsche
The PCM has an embedded SIM which is used for the services. The wireless service is included with the car connect services. You only need the SIM if you want to activate the hotspot feature of the PCM. This is different for the 18's, Our 17 Macan has the SIM and requires ATT service in order to receive the google traffic updates. It's a nice change that saves you additional monthly fees.

Quick Reply: SIM CARD standard equipment in new car