Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'18 Porsche 911 GT3 991.2 GT3 Break-in report…

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 01:25 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Default '18 Porsche 911 GT3 991.2 GT3 Break-in report…

well since I have an upcoming track day Thursday May 24th - I had to take my brand new GT3 for some break in miles - it's so hard to keep having to short shift this wonderful car…did a trip to Tahoe from San Jose and came back on some twisty roads - got some pics…will provide a full review when I'm less tired - hwy 88 is a wonderful road in a GT3…

enjoy the pics…
Old 05-21-2018, 01:32 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Beautiful car and backdrop, hope to hear some driving impression soon....thanks for sharing.
Jack
Old 05-21-2018, 08:04 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Congrats and she is a beauty
Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats on the car. I’m glad you had a great drive, but for me any road is a great drive in this car. And on track........I just did 2 weekends back to back. You will have a blast!!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Nice! I've been logging some break-in miles over the last few days up Highway 1 to Point Reyes and Mt. Tam. Those are fun roads as well.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

For Reference my build code for this car was: http:/ / www.porsche-code.com/ PJ8RYHZ8

1st off I’m going to say that I don’t think there is much to say that hasn’t already been said in other reviews, but I’ll add my voice to chorus so that we can all emphatically state that this is a very very special car - and if you have the chance to drive or own one it’s a wonderful experience you will not soon forget.

I’m going to add a twist however and compare this car to my fleet of EV’s - I drove this car exclusively for the past 6 days, and got back in my EV last night and it was a revelation - more on that later.

My most recent experience is with a 991.1 ’15 Agate Grey GT3 - that car was spectacular as well, but the 991.2 further enhances an already stunning product from the people @ Porsche.

Delivery Experience:

Car was delivered Monday May 14th, 2018 - paint, interior and all mechanical issues were flawless - everything you expect from Porsche. The new Porsches come with a range of online services and support for Apple CarPlay. This is the one place where the germans fall down flat on their faces and really really need to drastically improve:
  1. There are two main apps so similarly named I defy anyone to tell me the difference:
    1. Car Connect.app (iOS)
    2. Connect.app (iOS)
Car Connect.app is the remote app that lets you remotely monitor your Porsche, location, lock/unlock and what not - how does it work you say - well I don’t know - I have an appointment with the dealer to active it on June 4th - the activation process is so bizarre and so complex that only a German engineer could love it. The account you have to establish is separate from your porsche online account which is what is required to activate the “Connect.app”

I managed to activate the Connect.app - but it appears all but useless.

There is a 3rd service you activate which is the online “apps” service myporsche.com - this is a whole separate login/set of “in car” apps in the PCM that provides service “in car” via PCM display:
  • News
  • Portal Personal POI”s
  • Twitter
  • Event Info
  • Flight Info
  • Fuel Prices (wrong most of the time when I’ve checked)
  • Google Earth
  • Gracenote Online
  • Online Map Update
  • Online Search
  • Parking
  • Real Time Traffic
  • Voice POI
  • Weather
This is free for the 1st year, and then there will be some charge after the first year - off the service listed above the clear winners are:
  • Google Earth (enhanced satellite images for the built in NAV)
  • Gracenote (album artwork for your music)
  • Real Time Traffic (kudos to Porsche for doing this OTA and not via SirusXM)
  • Online Map Updates (although I seem to only be able to update 3 “geographic areas” for some reason)
the rest in my experience are “meh”

In addition to online services (managed by 3 separate accounts) there is the PCM’s BluTooth, Wifi, Hotspot support, and the car’s internet connection for it’s services - I’m a networking expert with 29 years technical experience at a major tech company, I’ve done network protocols, and worked at hte lowest levels of networking and cellular services - I have yet to figure out how the Porsche system works - or what I would need to do to get the car to use a Wifi Network for it’s services, provide a Wifi hotspot, or even when/how it uses it’s internet connection for it’s own online services - the good news is you mostly don’t need to care;
  • handsfree Blutooth works pretty well and it was easy
  • handsfree audio works pretty well and it was easy
  • the car does seem to update it’s internal stuff
  • Apple CarPlay works
but Porsche as a very very long ways to go on smooth online services that “just work”

The CarPlay implementation is one of the worst I’ve seen, and Porsche has implemented one of the lowest resolution screens of any of the car play implementations I’ve used. Kudos to my Chevy Bolt which has a far better implementation of CarPlay, faster, high resolution, better internet management, and a wicked awesome Wifi hot spot, clear and under stabled usage of Blutooth, Internet, and wires vs. wireless services.

Also I’m sorry to report the demise of 2 12 volt power outlets in the 911 series of 991.2 cars. There used to be 4 12 volt power outlets
  1. Glove Box
  2. Passenger foot well
  3. Optional “smokers package”
  4. Center Armrest Console
In the 911.2 there is now:
  1. A USB data/power in the glove box (but don’t use this for CarPlay)
  2. Passenger foot well
  3. Optional smoker’s package
  4. Center Armrest is now USB for CarPlay w/USB power
  5. also - I can no longer find a simple "audio-in" jack - so those of you rocking an MP3 player via a RCA cable, you're out of luck
So there are only 2 12 Volt power outlets to run various track focused equipment, and you can’t plug a GoPro into either of the USB ports because the car “mounts” the GoPro as a USB storage device (doesn’t do anything with it just mounts the drive) so you can NOT record with a GoPro plugged into one of the USB ports to charge it - no big deal but a minor annoyance.

Interior fit/finish is excellent and typical Porsche Quality everything you touch/feel and look at is top notch and a pleasure to work with.

Driving Experience:

The car is spectacular - I haven’t taken it much above 6k on the RPM’s due to break in - but speed/power/torque is ample - throttle response is excellent and the car is very predicable. Handling is world class benchmark setting. Versus the 991.1 I am finding the .2 power band better, and the front end turn in is much more responsive. I always found the 991.1 to have a “dead zone” in the power band and found myself dropping a gear to get it to respond. You don’t need to drop a gear to get this car to respond. For comparison sake I’ve owned/driven the following cars:
  • 2008 911 4S
  • 2012 911 GTS
  • 2011 911 GT3
  • 2010 911 Cupcar
  • 2015 911 Cupcar
  • 2015 GT3
  • 2018 GT3
This 2018 GT3 is the closet to a Cupcar that you can still drive on the street. I look forward to tracking this car and expect great things. All indications (and existing reviews) are that I will not be disappointed. Porsche has dialed this car into a whiskers breath of near perfection and it’s confidence inspiring to drive it.

Cabin noise is acceptable and phone calls are possible at all normal street driving speeds. But this is a GT3 and comfortable is a relative term. Porsche is to be commended for producing such a spectacular track weapon that is street-able, but if this was my daily driver my personal needs, comfort and overall sanity would be damaged. You can easily drive this car on the street, and it works well, but comfortable is NOT a term I would use. I drove the car on some “b” roads over in Santa Cruz that I drive all the time with my other cars, and guess what, the stiff suspension and sports bucket racing seats aren’t as comfortable as I would like for that type of driving. This is not a criticism or a surprise to me, but it is a fact. The good news is I purchased this car as a track vehicle and occasional weekend warrior mobile and it will work great for that.

I'm glad that I purchased the Bose sound upgrade, not because the audio fidelity can be heard, but rather the system has enough power to compete with the cabin noise. When I've been in GT3s without the Bose system I've had trouble with the sound system competing with the car's road/engine noise, very frustrating for hands free phone calls.

I put 800 miles on the car this weekend and while I was never “uncomfortable” I also wasn’t comfortable. I got 23 mpg and indulged in some spirited driving, every time you touch the throttle on this car it simply lures you into giving it more - and you hit triple digits so fast and so smoothly that it defies explanation and expectation.

I just can’t say enough good things about this car as a modern driver's car. If you want a modern state of the art 2 seater sports car the 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 is probably the best price performance comfort and raw capability car on the market. You can spend less, and get less, you can spend more and maybe get slightly more (but not a lot). But there is nothing IMHO in this price range that is as good as this car is:

My Report Car

Fit Finish - A
Style - A
Acceleration - A
Transmission PDK - A+ industry leading duel clutch implementation
Handeling - A+
Braking - A+ - confidence inspiring is an understatement
Engine Note - A+
Ride Comfort - B
Seat Comfort - A- on a grading curve (C+ as a pure un-curved grade, but it's a sports car configured for track duty)
Non-Driving Feature set - B (infotainment and such)
Electronics - B
Online Services/Clarity of Purpose - C-
Initial Car Configuration and Setup of infotainment - C+
In car power options for equipment/accessories - B-

PERSONAL OPINION AND FUTURE GAZING BELOW

First off - I LOVE my new GT3 and would not trade it for anything in the world as a sports car. The acceleration, handling, style and over all feel of the car is with out parallel. However I’m 52 years old and over the years I’ve grown accustomed to some comforts in my life. 6 days of driving this car 800’ish miles and crawling in/out of it over and over has stressed my body and I’m glad this will not be my daily driver. It was with pure joy that I slid into the comfortable seat of my 2017 Tesla Model X P100D and only slightly touched the accelerator and it silently lept forward at my touch and was promptly doing 80 mph. As most of you know I’m a fan of EVs, but to be clear I do not believe EVs need to replace ICEs entirely, simply we need to start mixing our transportation to use the best tool for the job. After spending 6 days in the GT3 I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world as the sports car in my life, but I also will not spend 6 days straight in it again. I’m quite pleased with my mix of vehicles with the EVs taking the brunt of the load for daily chores and local driving, and owning spectacular benchmark setting ICEs that are the best of breed for what they are. I now more fully appreciate what my GT3 is good for, and what my EV is good for. And I love both cars and don’t want either one of them to go away. I also went to a gas station more in the past 6 days than I have in the past 4 years, because I'm now used to charging at home every night, no need to go the gas station. And no matter how responsive and awesome the GT3 is at accelerating nothing matches the instant torque of my EV, it stills bring a smile to my face and is truly stunning. That being said I believe there is a future for a best of breed EV 2 seater sports car and sincerely hope Porsche produces that car (not the 911) - because when Porsche puts their mind to it they do spectacular things.

I’ll look forward to seeing some of you at the track and congratulate those of you who own a 911 GT3 or are waiting to take delivery of their 911 GT3 - it’s a spectacular car that excels in it’s market segment and I look forward to owning mine for many years…

I leave you this quote to sum up my feelings on this car:

“It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.” - Ferris Bueller
Old 05-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Awesome write-up! Thanks for sharing. Love my GT3 too and I could see myself DDing an EV down the road for commuting and around town errands. They are fun and very practical in their own right.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:22 PM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Great review. Thank you.
I look forward to the photos of the GT3 and the Sierras
Old 05-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GT3 and Model X are truly the best of both worlds.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How satisfied are you with the white instrument/sports chrono dials verses the standard dials?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:50 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

This is the one place where the germans fall down flat on their faces and really really need to drastically improve:
  1. There are two main apps so similarly named I defy anyone to tell me the difference:
    1. Car Connect.app (iOS)
    2. Connect.app (iOS)
Car Connect.app is the remote app that lets you remotely monitor your Porsche, location, lock/unlock and what not - how does it work you say - well I don’t know - I have an appointment with the dealer to active it on June 4th - the activation process is so bizarre and so complex that only a German engineer could love it. The account you have to establish is separate from your porsche online account which is what is required to activate the “Connect.app”

In addition to online services (managed by 3 separate accounts) there is the PCM’s BluTooth, Wifi, Hotspot support, and the car’s internet connection for it’s services - I’m a networking expert with 29 years technical experience at a major tech company, I’ve done network protocols, and worked at hte lowest levels of networking and cellular services - I have yet to figure out how the Porsche system works - or what I would need to do to get the car to use a Wifi Network for it’s services, provide a Wifi hotspot, or even when/how it uses it’s internet connection for it’s own online services - the good news is you mostly don’t need to care

----------------

So there are only 2 12 Volt power outlets to run various track focused equipment, and you can’t plug a GoPro into either of the USB ports because the car “mounts” the GoPro as a USB storage device (doesn’t do anything with it just mounts the drive) so you can NOT record with a GoPro plugged into one of the USB ports to charge it - no big deal but a minor annoyance.

---------------

I'm glad that I purchased the Bose sound upgrade, not because the audio fidelity can be heard, but rather the system has enough power to compete with the cabin noise. When I've been in GT3s without the Bose system I've had trouble with the sound system competing with the car's road/engine noise, very frustrating for hands free phone calls.
Thanks for the write up! Glad to hear you love the car - it's awesome.

I was laughing reading this, I've tried to figure out what all that porsche connect stuff does, and how you hook it up - twice now - and I have no f-ing idea. When you figure it out (I'm sure you will) - I'd pay good money for a succinct write up on exactly how to do it / or offer a few beers to swing by and hook mine up! And I have no idea how the track app works once you've figured out all of that too!!

Also feel you on the gopro - I had it all set to go and hooked up to a lap timer, plugged it into the USB in the center console to keep it charged - and I'm pretty sure it turned the wifi connection off and prevented it from recording anything. Couldn't do anything with (lucky I brought extra batteries). Also had issues with the iphone when plugged into the USB (switched it to cigarette lighter under the footwell).

On the Bose - that's interesting as I am not an audiophile at all, but I don't have Bose and find it quite acceptable, and on par with the Bose in my Spyder (soft top I'm sure doesn't help). For a DD I'd care, but not on this car on the various longer trips I've done.

At the end of the day I don't really care about all the fancy wizardry (that's not why I bought it) - but given it's there it bugs me I can't use it

Enjoy the car - truly awesome vehicle!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

Great write up!

I had the same problem with GoPro in my 991.2 TTS.

I fixed it with this car charger:
Amazon Amazon

It sits flush in the socket for the cigarette lighter so I can close the cover when I'm not using it.

The only minor annoyance is that you have to hold it when unplugging the cable, otherwise the whole thing comes out.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

The white dials are a bit busy because all the indicators are always visible - but I don’t mind - they are simply gorgeous at night with the illumination Porsche chose.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
The white dials are a bit busy because all the indicators are always visible - but I don’t mind - they are simply gorgeous at night with the illumination Porsche chose.
Specced white dials in my GT car since the interior is a sea of black......in your opinion, if you had to do again would you spec them over the standard dials? My feeling about the standard dials are well, kinda boring.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:33 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I'm fine with the white dials and I would do it again - but then again I"m less fussy in this space that other people - I prefer them over the standard or the red dials…at the end of the day this is a very personal choice, but I like them - besides most of the time I"m looking for the apex just before turn in ;-)

Quick Reply: '18 Porsche 911 GT3 991.2 GT3 Break-in report…