Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you get new GT3 without PCCB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

After owning both, I would never buy any new Porsche of any kind without PCCB.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:39 PM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ceramics have certainly come a long way and are an obvious performance advantage, I'll check that option box every time.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:31 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Interesting thread. Surprise that so many people ordered/want ceramics. I bet you 5 years ago was way different

But both Reds and Yellows squeak. Maybe Ceramics slightly less.

I do prefer Ceramics but would never be a deal breaker on a secondary car
My reds squeaked terribly driving in snowy European weather in March.. hoping this go-around it's different with warmer weather.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:17 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 193 Posts

I've got PCCBs on my GT3 here in the UK and i love them..The vast majority of GT3s/RSs in the UK have them fitted; as much to do with being essential for resale above any performance gains. In Europe however the tables are turned, and PCCBs are seen as much less desirable due to worries on track wear.
I've driven the new GT3 with steels on track and they're pretty awesome so PCCBs are not essential just desirable.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:48 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

I wouldn't get one with PCCB.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

It may depend on how you will be using the car but, for me, I would absolutely not order a GT3 without PCCBs.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:44 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
I went with reds on all 4 of my Porsches - they stop just fine and fade is not bad at all. The ceramics I have had squeak too much for me despite reseating, cleaning, anti-squeak spray, etc...Personal choice as you may get a set of ceramics that don't squeak, but more likely than reds in my experience.......first thing two dealer salespeople said to me was that ceramics squeak, so they must have heard from customers to make such a big point of it.......some people love the squeaks and that is great for them.........
I have never once experienced brake fade and thought to myself, “oh, this isn’t so bad, I would choose this if I had the option!” This alone was enough reason for me to go CCB. But I am very opposed to the idea of brakes doing their intended job poorly. Some of you seem ok w that

I’m not hating on the irons- as I’ve said, I would take them, but prefer PCCBs... tight clearances, and penny saving be damned. I also don’t put budget tires on my GT3, but do what you want.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:44 PM
sautan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer but in a good way. After asking all the question related to GT3, I have to back out. Real Estate agent called and delivered me a great news that seller of a commercial building agreed to my offer. I have been searching for the building for 2.5 years and finally available. Harder to get than GT3!!! Nevertheless, I hate to pay over sticker so perhaps GT3 is not the car for me or maybe it will soften a little down the road. We will see.

Thank you for the feedback.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:57 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack

I have never once experienced brake fade and thought to myself, “oh, this isn’t so bad, I would choose this if I had the option!” This alone was enough reason for me to go CCB. But I am very opposed to the idea of brakes doing their intended job poorly. Some of you seem ok w that

I’m not hating on the irons- as I’ve said, I would take them, but prefer PCCBs... tight clearances, and penny saving be damned. I also don’t put budget tires on my GT3, but do what you want.
Standard brakes don't do their job poorly. I don't put budget tires on my GT3 either.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andial
Standard brakes don't do their job poorly. I don't put budget tires on my GT3 either.
when they fade, they do their job poorly. In addition to not liking brake fade, it always seems to happen at the worst times.

my point is, if you buy good tires, why skimp on brakes? PCCBs seem to be so political around here because they are pricey, but they are better, even if they aren’t perfect.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:04 AM
Houston GT3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

But you can add after the fact, even paint calipers?
its what I did.

or is there more to it?
You painted your calipers yellow? Can you expound on the process & cost etc.?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when they fade, they do their job poorly. In addition to not liking brake fade, it always seems to happen at the worst times.

my point is, if you buy good tires, why skimp on brakes? PCCBs seem to be so political around here because they are pricey, but they are better, even if they aren’t perfect.
Well said. CCBs have many benefits over steels on the track, especially regarding longevity, consistency, and temperature. Temperature being more of a factor than you'd think, as even less heat transferring into the wheels/tires does make a noticeable difference.

In regards to price, the ST rotors have really helped offset that downside. If you want CCB's on your Porsche car but don't want the costs involved of PCCB's, the STs do everything the PCCB's do better and end up costing about $600 per rotor to refurbish instead of about $6000 per rotor to replace the PCCBs. Most every one of the guys we've been working with have opted their new cars with steels and then put on the ST rotors. Those that sold their steel rotors just about evened out to the same costs as if they had opted for the PCCBs from factory. Those that opted for PCCBs swapped to the ST's to avoid the replacement costs and keep the wear off the PCCB rotors in the event of trading in on some "new hotness" down the road, then would put the ST rotors on the new car and repeat the process.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 PM
Andial
Banned

They have never faded before. Regular brakes don't count as skimping. PCCBs aren't that pricey.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Bu77$h!t.

mine are loud as hell.
At 2292 miles, they went dead silent. It took a while, but damn, they are REALLY quiet now-- at least for the last 50 or so miles that I've put on since. I now have to go through all my old posts where I talk **** about the noise and eat some crow...
Old 05-23-2018, 09:26 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andial
They have never faded before. Regular brakes don't count as skimping. PCCBs aren't that pricey.
Maybe a difference in driving styles then? IDK, but brake fade is a real thing, CCB's are less susceptible.

I have been saying they aren't that pricey the whole time, but that seems to be one of the major complaints. That and scratching the inside of your wheels from small clearances...

Quick Reply: Would you get new GT3 without PCCB?