Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you get new GT3 without PCCB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

I wash my car at least once a week and if needed sooner. Brake dust not an issue. Porsche steel brakes are fabulous. Seems financially silly to pay over $10,000 (the MSRP of the car includes steel brakes so that cost has to be factored in) for the color yellow. As Trackman posted, you can have the calipers painted.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:57 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 702 Posts

PCCB Cons:
- Expensive if tracking hard (due to replacement costs)

PCCB Pros:
- Weighs less
- Less dust
- Looks better (to most people I think)
- Holds up well on occasional track days for average drivers / consistent braking
- Looks cool

Since used GT3s often retain a percentage of their value when selling, the real 'cost' is not necessarily $9200 but more like $2000.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:36 PM
sautan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo

How did u like that course at Spring Mountain? I’m doing that course in a zo6 next month
It was fun and definitely learn a lot with very professional staffs. The condo is very comfy and slightly overpriced compare to other hotel in Pahrump, which is about 10 mins drive. I recommend staying outside for convenient. The condo is in the middle of the race track and NOTHING available after dark.

I am going back again soon!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM
sautan
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
When you say CCB rotors are you referring to the new tech Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB)??
No. CCB just mean carbon ceramic brake. I am new to the motorsport so definitely not sure what is PSCB
Old 05-21-2018, 01:42 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I would never order another 911 variant -- GT or otherwise -- that does not have PCCBs.
This ^^^^
Old 05-21-2018, 01:52 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by sautan
No. CCB just mean carbon ceramic brake. I am new to the motorsport so definitely not sure what is PSCB
I was referring to the Surface Transform CCBs, those have been used by some members here with great success (see TRAKCAR's recent posts on this.)
Old 05-21-2018, 01:57 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes
Old 05-21-2018, 02:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

But you can add after the fact, even paint calipers?
its what I did.

or is there more to it?
Hi Peter

Without going into possible performance differences, I think if one were to option the std iron rotors and then swapped in the Surface Transform CCB setup, I’m not sure you’re saving any money initially versus just optioning the PCCBs to begin with.

Of course the obvious riposte you get to refinish and reuse the Surface Transform CCB rotors thus saving money in the long run. Perhaps.

The caveat is I am not entirely sold on the refinishing process the Surface Transform rotors go through. That said, from what I understand they are now OEM for the new Aston Martins. So who knows.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:54 PM
uberm3
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
I ordered my GT3 with the iron rotors and I’d do it again too. Zero issues with these stellar brakes. Car seems to stop at least as hard as my ZR1 which has carbon ceramic brakes.

Ordered mine this way too - couldn't be less interested PCCB for a multitude of reasons, nor would I consider buying a pre-owned car with them if I could avoid doing so.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Hi Peter

Without going into possible performance differences, I think if one were to option the std iron rotors and then swapped in the Surface Transform CCB setup, I’m not sure you’re saving any money initially versus just optioning the PCCBs to begin with.

Of course the obvious riposte you get to refinish and reuse the Surface Transform CCB rotors thus saving money in the long run. Perhaps.

The caveat is I am not entirely sold on the refinishing process the Surface Transform rotors go through. That said, from what I understand they are now OEM for the new Aston Martins. So who knows.
Understood.

ST refurb 5x is TBD, I'm not there yet but should only be a few weekends away of doing the first one.
My thoughts on PCCB or no PCCB would be; If I got a car with PCCB, I pay $9200, sell the rotors for about that money, maybe more?
The new replacement PCCB rotors are about $25K, so maybe they bring $13K in order to buy the ST rotors and you get yellow calipers.

If they bring more straight off the car, then why not?
Curious what they go for now straight off the car. The last time I sold new ones, I got $10K on my 997RS.

If you want to sell the car eventually with new PCCB rotors, then keep them on the shelve but I wouldn't care about that personally.

Only for street use, this all doesn't matter, the PCCB will last forever.
I do actually like the steel brake feel a little better because its too hard to get the rotors up to ideal temp.
But maybe the suspension and steering feel is just that little bit nicer with PCCB..
Old 05-21-2018, 03:43 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

I would actually never order any Pcar, especially a GT3, with PCCBs. Never ever.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:59 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Great list, I'll add to it

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
PCCB Cons:
- Expensive if tracking hard (due to replacement costs)
- Caliper to Barrel distance is very tight
- Only comes in Yellow

PCCB Pros:
- Weighs less
- Less dust
- Looks better (to most people I think)
- Holds up well on occasional track days for average drivers / consistent braking
- Looks cool

Since used GT3s often retain a percentage of their value when selling, the real 'cost' is not necessarily $9200 but more like $2000.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:32 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

I went with reds on all 4 of my Porsches - they stop just fine and fade is not bad at all. The ceramics I have had squeak too much for me despite reseating, cleaning, anti-squeak spray, etc...Personal choice as you may get a set of ceramics that don't squeak, but more likely than reds in my experience.......first thing two dealer salespeople said to me was that ceramics squeak, so they must have heard from customers to make such a big point of it.......some people love the squeaks and that is great for them.........
Old 05-21-2018, 04:49 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

PCCBs are way more precise when applying brake pedal pressure

you can calibrate perfectly your brake intention

not bad on a very high speed car
Old 05-21-2018, 05:01 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

A lot of people like the brake pedal feel / modulation better with the irons.

Irons can be upgraded to CCB at any time if needed.

Buying a used car with CCB is a bad idea since it’s not easy to know when they will need to be replaced.

I had CCB on my GT3 — they looked cool but no advantage in braking performance. Ordered new RS with irons.

Basically CCBs are like bling for your car. If you care about the look and impressing people at cars and coffee, then go for it. Purely from a rational perspective, they don’t make sense.

Quick Reply: Would you get new GT3 without PCCB?