Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you get new GT3 without PCCB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:57 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

PCCB's aren't necessary, but if not a 'dedicated track car'... I'd choose PCCB every time (and did). For me, it's about the 'straigthline acceleration' benefit the most. I'll do a 1/2 dozen events a year at the most... and so far, my pads and rotors still look like new. The aftermarket ceramics are a great alternative but will 'start' out more in the beginning.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 05-21-2018, 12:11 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

As others said, stopping power same.

PCCBs have no dust, last virtually forever with light use (regular street use and rare track use by average drivers), and look great. But they're expensive up front, and very expensive to replace when damaged, which is a real possibility with frequent hard track use.

Irons have dust and wear out sooner but cost a lot less to replace, which is a big reason why those who track a lot prefer them since brakes are consumables to them.

PCCBs supposedly resist brake fade better under hard track use, which is probably a non-issue for average drivers who do only short sessions on track and who don't push the car ten 10ths. PCCBs are also lighter, so some say they improve handling thanks to lower unsparing weight. Probably, but not everyone may notice.

I test drove a 991 TTS with PCCBs alongside my 991.1 GT3 that had irons. I couldn't feel any difference, but then again, I wasn't going gonzo on track either. Put simply, you won't notice much if any difference in most driving situations.

Having said all this, I ordered my 991.2 GT3 Touring with PCCBs, which will be my first Porsche with them. Why? Well, I won't be tracking the car except maybe 1-2 days per year, and when I do, I'll be doing brief (20 min) sessions and am not a pro. So I'm not worried about wearing them out. The PCCBs look spectacular, produce no dust to tarnish the silver wheels I spec'd, and should last nearly the life of the car. And I figure they'll be desirable on eventual resale on a GT3 Touring so it'll be close to a wash for me in the long run.

I guess, I figure this: If you're buying a GT3 to push it hard frequently on track, get the irons unless money no object for you. If you're buying a GT3 for spirited driving on street and rare—if ever—track "visits" for short sessions at less than ten 10ths, and if you also like the way they look and value no brake dust, then spring for the PCCBs.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:17 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I would never order another 911 variant -- GT or otherwise -- that does not have PCCBs.

It's almost a deal breaker for me.
Originally Posted by Terrence
I would not order any Porsche GT car without it.
But you can add after the fact, even paint calipers?
its what I did.

or is there more to it?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:34 AM
sautan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told less dust is not because of ceramic rotor itself but the ceramic pad. I attended the Ron Fellows Spring Mountain Performance Driving School and they intro the Corvette and talk about CCB. They said ceramic pad can be used with iron rotor or vice versa. The ceramic pad will perform better than metallic pad even on iron rotor and about 80% less dust. If it's true, perhaps I will just replace with the ceramic pad on iron rotor.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:41 AM
sautan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, does GT3 or any 911 equipped with something similar to Corvette's Performance Data Recorder? Basically recording your performance and video just like Herry's Lap Timer?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:49 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would never order another 911 variant -- GT or otherwise -- that does not have PCCBs.

I would never order one WITH PCCBs..Same on the deal breaker..

So there you have it.. It's a complete personal choice..
Old 05-21-2018, 12:58 AM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, and I did, but it's personal.
Light track or only street use I would have picked PCCB but I like to go to the track often and even maybe buy a second set of tires in 19" to have a wider range of tires. (almost imposible with larger PCCB rotors)
Old 05-21-2018, 12:58 AM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 for PCCB’s.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:51 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by sautan
I am looking to upgrade to 2018 GT3. I have located one that is pretty low spec but it doesn't come with PCCB. I am curious how much stopping power I will get from spending 3-4 times more on the CCB? I expect to drive about 150 miles a week, track min 6 days per year and could be up to 10 days. For those who had experience and been there, please share your opinion.

I do not worry much about resell value because I am going to keep it for at least 5-6 years and could be more.

Thank you very much for all your inputs.
Brake dust, that's the real difference. And not to say that isn't a big deal, or that no brake dust isn't worth $9k in cost... I'm just stating that when all the dust clears (pun intended).. what you get out of PCCB is no brake dust.

decide for yourself
Old 05-21-2018, 03:01 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

no brake dust AND lower unsprung weight are major pros

cost is major con, esp if you track
Old 05-21-2018, 03:19 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 162 Posts

I’m with you on this one. I even retrofitted them onto my 997.2 GTS.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told less dust is not because of ceramic rotor itself but the ceramic pad. I attended the Ron Fellows Spring Mountain Performance Driving School and they intro the Corvette and talk about CCB. They said ceramic pad can be used with iron rotor or vice versa. The ceramic pad will perform better than metallic pad even on iron rotor and about 80% less dust. If it's true, perhaps I will just replace with the ceramic pad on iron rotor.
How did u like that course at Spring Mountain? I’m doing that course in a zo6 next month
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Cost saving is definitely top objective due to on going tracks and weekend driving. $9000 is only if build with car. I think it’s more if you replace them. That’s lot of track time and set of tires.

I think I am good without PCCB. Thanks people.
Good decision.

BTW, does GT3 or any 911 equipped with something similar to Corvette's Performance Data Recorder? Basically recording your performance and video just like Herry's Lap Timer?
The Gt3.2 comes with Track App standard. Some say it’s not as good as the Chevy’s, some like it just fine. There are several videos here
Old 05-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

RED BRAKE CHANGE OUT

I love my PCCBs on the last 3 GT cars but after talking to an early 991.2 GT3 owner complaining about caliper-to-inside-barrel distance I've decided for the GT3T I'm going Red Calipers and looking for a Rotor/Pad swap to aftermarket CCBs. Started a thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/newreply...e=1&p=14914654
Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

One of the biggest advantages of PCCBs is that you don't have to swap pads for the track and they don't squeal on the street. This may be possible to replicate by using the PCCB pads with steels as mentioned above, but I don't know if this is possible. Swapping pads with this horrible caliper design is a major PITA.

Quick Reply: Would you get new GT3 without PCCB?