Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I Trade GT3rs (2k miles)+$40k for New Touring?
Yes
26.77%
No
73.23%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Should I trade my GT3RS in for GT3 touring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Did your deal also require you to bend over and grab your ankles? The deal is ridiculous.

Although by no means scientific, driving around in southern CA I see more regular 911's driving with their spoiler up and extended. Either there has been an inordinate amount of spoiler failures or Porsche owners are finally realizing that the wing/spoiler adds to the aura of the car. Its part of what makes the car special.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:31 PM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh hell NO........just unbolt the wing and drive it, for that kind of difference!
Old 05-19-2018, 11:50 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by willyb87
Thanks guys, thats what I figured.. I wouldn't say Id be getting "screwed" in this deal but it certainly isn't good. I just was not familiar at all with what the tourings are going for. All I saw was 1 on eBay asking 40k over so I figured that was about the market for them. Also, I don't see the GT3RS's going much lower than sticker any time in the near future. I think they will come back up especially low miles like mine. Definitely not doing this deal, but frigggin LOVE the touring!

You are getting screwed. I have an RS and have a Touring incoming and no way I would trade in my RS for the deal you are being offered.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:05 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I would not take that deal. They are ripping you off. I think msrp for the touring and trading the RS in for $200k is a good deal. RS values have dropped a lot. You initially overpaid for the RS, so expect to take a hit. I like the manual in the .2 and would own a .2 touring over a .1 RS.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Lets put the "RS values have dropped" in perspective.

Dont know of too many cars 3 years after launch that you can still sell for MSRP or close to MSRP. "Mass produced" cars at that.

Now if someone paid way over sticker- yeah, values have dropped. But realistically the RS is holding strong - if any of that actually matters. Drive the damn things and let the next guy worry about depreciation.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:27 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd
Not, sure what the market is for a Touring but here is my take, like it or not:

Touring cars will never be plentiful, most buyers don't "get it" and thus only a small minority of all 991.2 GT3's will ever be Tourings. My guess is double the number of R's when all said and done, maybe less.

The 991.1 RS was overbuilt and the car will continue to depreciate as the new RS rolls out. Both versions will be plentiful but the .1 version will lose more value over the next few years - it's nowhere near the bottom.

The motor issue of all 991.1's will negatively impact their desirability compared to any .2 moving forward. The new 4.0 motor is a huge step up, including over the motor of the .1 RS.

All dealers need a small margin on each car, say 10%. I think you can close the gap a little bit on this particular deal but not much.

Just My 2 cents, and probably worth less.....

Best.
take the deal, have you seen the surplus of RS cars on the market. you'll get the sales tax credit. Is your time worth $5k - $10k?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:31 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Can't speak to the deal, future values, production numbers, yada yada yada. Those are financial decisions, and only you can weigh that out.

But, based on your original post, which gets to enjoyment...were I in your shoes, I'd move from 991.1 RS to 991.2 Touring yesterday. (If I was tracking the car a lot, I'd keep the .1 RS every time—but, for road work, I think the .2 GT3 is more fun and engaging—especially if you like rowing your own.)
Old 05-19-2018, 07:36 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
If you want a Touring. Sell your RS for close to MSRP and buy a Touring. Going rate is approximately $25-$30k over. You should break close to even plus your TTL.
+1

If not tracking, don’t like the bold look of the RS, and want a manual, then go for it. But, just as noted in the above post, you should at least break even doing the transaction.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

It’s clear from the OP’s 1st post he would prefer Touring with sofas and a manual to RS with buckets and PDK. Only issue is how to get from A to B. And consensus is clear: the deal you were offered stinks.

When I traded my ‘14 991.1 GT3 to a dealer, they sold it quick for $13K over what they paid me for it (I know because the buyer called me after to talk about the car). Seems reasonable. I probably could have sold it for $6-7K more in a private than they paid me for it, but it would have been a wash with the sale tax I saved from trading it toward new Touring I have on order from them, so between that, time and hassle saved, and the solid my dealer is doing by selling me a new Touring at MSRP, which has been on order forever (now August delivery though), I did the trade.

I think a dealer deserves to make a reasonable profit on buying and selling used high line cars. Maybe about 10%. So if a used RS is selling for around $200K, maybe they give you $180K or a little better for it on trade-in. Depending on your state, you may save 6-10% of the trade in value on sales tax savings on the new car bought, which makes up much of that difference.

But combining that profit margin with a $30K+ ADM for a non-PTS non-configurable Touring that they already have in stock (either they ordered it spec or more likely someone cancelled) seems like a bridge too far.

Put simply, if you want a Touring, find a dealer who will sell you one closer to MSRP and/or who will order you one that you can spec. Any dealer who can sell you the new Touring will be happy to take your RS on trade.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:13 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

You're not going to break even with a dealer. The RS would probably sell retail for 200k at the dealer so there's no way you're going to get offered 200k for it.

The Touring seems to be going for about 25k over so 200k. Basically, you're asking the dealer to take your car for the chance to break even on it in order to sell their Touring at the market rate.

If you want to be at the break even mark then you're gonna have to start looking for a 15k over deal and sell your RS privately.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:05 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I just had my GT3T delivered to me last Thursday and I will be bias for a GT3T BUT I will stick to your RS because of the total deal. It is a win-win for your dealer. But it looks like you already made up your mind and it will be your decision at the end.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:50 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The Touring seems to be going for about 25k over so 200k.
May be I’m biased, but in my mind nicely optioned touring should be around 160k msrp, unless you factor in pccb. At the end of the day all those options are just options, what matters is the car, IMO.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my GT3RS in for GT3 touring?