Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 991.1 wont start

Old 05-17-2018, 03:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone GT3
Ok put in new battery after a failed attempt at jumping the car. During the jump process 13.7 volts at connection beyond terminals. New battery didn't help. Both FOBS work. Remote lock with doors closed with good chirp. Thought it might be immobilizer issue, but I honestly don't know enough other than what I've read regarding the immobilizer being in a transit versus hand off mode which can be problematic. Maybe someone out there has some experience with the immobilizer issues and whether they are relevant to my situation.
I drove the car gingerly to work and back without any issue with road hazards, weather or mechanical concerns just 3 days ago. There was no issue with starter clunking or clicking, loss of power etc.
Given my experience one time previously I really feel this is more related to an failing or faulty anti theft or security system.
It's still under warranty,no? Have them send the tow truck. It's better than to waste any more money to no avail...

I can tell you of a bunch of things to check,but I doubt you have a high end scantool to start off with...
Usually if it's an immobilizer issue the light will keep blinking as you're attempting to start(whatever that light might be in the GT3-in the dash or that light that keeps blinking when you lock your car,I don't know...)
Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,715 Likes on 910 Posts

Was there a 991.2 GT3 nearby? Might've just been nervous....
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 AM
Bone GT3
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a appt with the local dealer 6/6. No sooner openings. Paid for track time 5/26 Sonoma and 6/4 Laguna Seca. I was hoping to resolve issue sooner. Still under warranty so not really interested in doing anymore tinkering. Thanks for all the suggestions but this is beyond my ability.
I will update the thread once there is a solution. It might help some poor soul in the future.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:42 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a similar issue with a 997TT. It was a engine ground straps. Everything work but car wouldn't turn over at all. Then there would be times it cranked up with no problem.. Replaced battery and still had the issue before they figured it out.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm no mechanic but I am guessing it is a little switch that tells the car if the clutch is depressed. If the switch dies, the car won't start even though the battery is fine and everything else works as it is supposed to. It's a cheap part. Died on my race car not too long ago.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:15 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
I'm no mechanic but I am guessing it is a little switch that tells the car if the clutch is depressed. If the switch dies, the car won't start even though the battery is fine and everything else works as it is supposed to. It's a cheap part. Died on my race car not too long ago.
That may very well be the case,except this car is automatic. There is however a neutral safety switch that will prevent power to be sent to the starter with the car being in any position other than Park or Neutral...Not sure if it operates similarly in a car with a double clutch transmission though...
Old 05-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Waiting until 6/6 is an eternity, I say get the car on a flatbed to the dealer ASAP and have them do a cursory look/diagnosis (they can squeeze that in). If its a minor fix, be nice & plead and my guess is they'll accommodate you. If its a major fix then leave the car with them until 6/6. You've got to try and salvage the Sonoma and Laguna track days!! Good luck!
Old 05-18-2018, 07:37 PM
PierreTT
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Agree with Akunob!
Dont waste these 2 days. Get the car at dealer ASAP and have them at least run a diagnostic.
Maybe you could get a "loaner"
Old 05-28-2018, 05:35 AM
Bone GT3
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update
Because I couldn't get my car into the dealer locally until 6/6. I called Porsche of Livermore and they could get me in within a couple days. So on 5/19 I winched my car into my trailer and hauled it to Livermore which took 2 hours in heavy traffic. John in the service department called me the following Monday telling me I had a bad starter. He said there was only one in the entire United States and that it would be arriving from Atlanta the next day. The new starter was in my car and ready for pickup 5 days after dropping it off. Unbelievable! I cant say enough good things about the care and service I got from John and his service team!
I picked my car up on 5/24 and was at Sonoma 5/26 for an amazing track day.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:42 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Congrats!
Old 05-31-2018, 01:54 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Was there a 991.2 GT3 nearby? Might've just been nervous....
hahah. Hilarious
Old 06-01-2018, 01:22 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Superb results!

Originally Posted by Bone GT3
Update
Because I couldn't get my car into the dealer locally until 6/6. I called Porsche of Livermore and they could get me in within a couple days. So on 5/19 I winched my car into my trailer and hauled it to Livermore which took 2 hours in heavy traffic. John in the service department called me the following Monday telling me I had a bad starter. He said there was only one in the entire United States and that it would be arriving from Atlanta the next day. The new starter was in my car and ready for pickup 5 days after dropping it off. Unbelievable! I cant say enough good things about the care and service I got from John and his service team!
I picked my car up on 5/24 and was at Sonoma 5/26 for an amazing track day.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:07 PM
prl
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Superb results!
my 991.2 gt3 just died about 2 hours ago flat towed it home as both triple a drivers refused to flatbed it even with my raceramps. Was about to turn into my developement went from 3rd to 2nd car died. Tried starting it and just smells like an electrical meltdown. Hopefully the dealer has a better towing service!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 991.1 wont start