Sponsored by:

HPDE: Standard tank vs Extended tank myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default HPDE: Standard tank vs Extended tank myth

When I first started looking at GT3's, I specce'd the car as a mostly track car with occasional runs to the grocery or weekend runs around backroads. Having owned a previous Porsche with a standard tank, I chose the standard tank as the perfect sized tank for the track. The order locked, and with the long wait to delivery, I got back on RL. Imagine my chagrin when I started reading all these posts that said extended tank is a MUST for track duty. Nothing I could do about it, the order was locked.

This weekend is the first weekend at the track with the GT3. Spent the whole day yesterday, open track with advanced drivers only, at Mid-Ohio. Here's my report for you all to consider.

Filled tank, ran 40 minutes straight. Warning light came on, advising to fuel the car. I fueled the car, all of 10.2 gallons to full. Ran two 20 minute sessions, the usual run time for a lot of the run groups. Warning light again, fueled the car 10.5 gallons. So, a few observations.

1. The fuel warning light comes on when the projected range is less that 50 miles. After running on track, the car computes the range of a full tank at just over 100 miles.So, based on range, the light comes on at half tank, with the calculated range at about 50 miles..
2. 10.5 gallons, for 40 minutes on track, 16.9 gallon standard tank. That calculates out to about 0.2625 gallons per minute, or a total of 64.76 minutes available. That is a heck of a lot of minutes. That's three 20 minute runs or two 30 minute runs plus enough gas to run to the neighborhood gas station rather than gas at the track.

So, configure your car the way you want, BUT an extended tank is NOT a MUST have for a track car. You'll need to fuel more frequently than with the extended tank, but the less gas - less weight rationale, the reason I chose the standard tank to begin with, is valid.

BTW, the effiing car is effing AWESOME on the track!!!! I was keeping up with the previous model GT3 RS on the highly technical Mid-Ohio course. And this is with me, a driver that has never driven a GT3 on track before. I look forward to what I can do with more seat time on this car.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:18 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Well, a 'must' is a bit of an exaggeration, I don't think anyone said the car is not trackable without the extended range tank, but obviously one doesn't have to make as many trips to the pump on and off the track with the extended range one. It's really just a matter of convenience.

As far as weight savings, one can always choose to put less fuel in the bigger tank but one can never put more fuel in the smaller one, so most people favor the bigger tank, but like you said, it's not like the car suffers with the smaller tank.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

How much fuel does the extended tank hold?

I always liked the fact that my 88 Carrera could hold more than 17 gallons (22.5), even if I didn’t need it. Ever since then, I’ve always wish 911s went back to larger fuel tank sizes. Not that it’s needed, to your point. But kind of unique in the world of sports cars.

That said, when full, my 88 Carrera had noticeably heavier steering and different handling on the track full versus empty.

EDIT: FYI - Gasoline weighs about 6.3lbs/gal. So 5 extra gallons would still only be about 35lbs, so I wonder how much more the larger tank weighs?
Old 05-12-2018, 12:14 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the extended tank and last weekend filled her up and drove the 65 miles to the track, 4 - 35 minute sessions with parade laps at lunch and drove back the 65 miles and didn't need to fill up till I got home. If I wanted a lighter car just fill er um less and refuel just as you do. If cars with the larger fuel tank weigh more it's negligible in a car over 3000lbs. You are right buy what you want but I really don't see much of an advantage in the smaller fuel tank.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Does it depend on your gas mileage on the track?

Using Autobahn Full Track as an example, My ‘99 couldn’t go the full day on five 30-min track sessions let alone make it to and from the track (about 94 miles away). Each session averaging 35 miles (3.00 mins to lap 3.56 miles) would have been 175 miles with 8.9 mpg (1.16 tanks).

Old 05-12-2018, 01:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
When I first started looking at GT3's, I specce'd the car as a mostly track car with occasional runs to the grocery or weekend runs around backroads. Having owned a previous Porsche with a standard tank, I chose the standard tank as the perfect sized tank for the track. The order locked, and with the long wait to delivery, I got back on RL. Imagine my chagrin when I started reading all these posts that said extended tank is a MUST for track duty. Nothing I could do about it, the order was locked.

This weekend is the first weekend at the track with the GT3. Spent the whole day yesterday, open track with advanced drivers only, at Mid-Ohio. Here's my report for you all to consider.

Filled tank, ran 40 minutes straight. Warning light came on, advising to fuel the car. I fueled the car, all of 10.2 gallons to full. Ran two 20 minute sessions, the usual run time for a lot of the run groups. Warning light again, fueled the car 10.5 gallons. So, a few observations.

1. The fuel warning light comes on when the projected range is less that 50 miles. After running on track, the car computes the range of a full tank at just over 100 miles.So, based on range, the light comes on at half tank, with the calculated range at about 50 miles..
2. 10.5 gallons, for 40 minutes on track, 16.9 gallon standard tank. That calculates out to about 0.2625 gallons per minute, or a total of 64.76 minutes available. That is a heck of a lot of minutes. That's three 20 minute runs or two 30 minute runs plus enough gas to run to the neighborhood gas station rather than gas at the track.

So, configure your car the way you want, BUT an extended tank is NOT a MUST have for a track car. You'll need to fuel more frequently than with the extended tank, but the less gas - less weight rationale, the reason I chose the standard tank to begin with, is valid.

BTW, the effiing car is effing AWESOME on the track!!!! I was keeping up with the previous model GT3 RS on the highly technical Mid-Ohio course. And this is with me, a driver that has never driven a GT3 on track before. I look forward to what I can do with more seat time on this car.
The math changes at higher speeds. My extended tank lasts only two 25 minute sessions to under quarter left - I have to cut the second session short if pushing very hard and not slowed down by traffic. Two 25 min sessions is under 40 minutes of driving at full tilt. So yes, you can run one session with standard tank just fine, but refueling after every session is too much hassle, especially if fuel is away from the track or there is a line up.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I have the extended tank and last weekend filled her up and drove the 65 miles to the track, 4 - 35 minute sessions with parade laps at lunch and drove back the 65 miles and didn't need to fill up till I got home. If I wanted a lighter car just fill er um less and refuel just as you do. If cars with the larger fuel tank weigh more it's negligible in a car over 3000lbs. You are right buy what you want but I really don't see much of an advantage in the smaller fuel tank.
Extended tank is a MUST for High plains. My gt4 with the standard tank will only make it to the third session on a open lapping day. Having to bring 2 (4 if my buddy comes) of VP 5 gallon cans is a pain.

My RS will get the extended tank and it’s a no brainer. Especially with it being only 140 bucks.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo

Extended tank is a MUST for High plains. My gt4 with the standard tank will only make it to the third session on a open lapping day. Having to bring 2 (4 if my buddy comes) of VP 5 gallon cans is a pain.

My RS will get the extended tank and it’s a no brainer. Especially with it being only 140 bucks.

I agree about getting Extended tank. You will be very happy with the Extended Tank in your RS - the 991 extended tank is much bigger than the 981 extended tank (7 gallons bigger than extended and nearly 10 gallons bigger than standard GT4)
Old 05-12-2018, 01:39 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
^^This!

It's purely for convenience, drive to the track, run all day... drive home... and never have to run to get fuel. Doesn't mean you 'need' the Extended Range tank... but for a $140, it's sort of a no brainer, that's all.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 05-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I agree about getting Extended tank. You will be very happy with the Extended Tank in your RS - the 991 extended tank is much bigger than the 981 extended tank (7 gallons bigger than extended and nearly 10 gallons bigger than standard GT4)
Everything is bigger in the RS except my wallet...it’s much smaller.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo

Everything is bigger in the RS except my wallet...it’s much smaller.
Yeah, I feel the same way with my new GT3
Old 05-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
^^This!

It's purely for convenience, drive to the track, run all day... drive home... and never have to run to get fuel. Doesn't mean you 'need' the Extended Range tank... but for a $140, it's sort of a no brainer, that's all.

Best Regards,
Dave
Agreed. Is it REQUIRED? Obviously not. But for me, I wouldn’t buy a GT3 without it.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

i have a weird thing on my .2 I have 2k miles on it and the gauge seams to read full for a long period of time then drops. Its like the gauge is calibrated for the standard tank and the extra full is just registered at full. i thought it was broken last week in the smokies and thought i could be really low on gas and this gauge is stuck at full. then boom, it falls. its around 100 miles before it moves. strange
Old 05-12-2018, 02:18 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The fuel gauge is designed for the standard tank, but is used in all cars no matter which tank you have. After the extra 6.9 gallons are burned the needle starts to move.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:52 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This is funny. So extended range tank isn’t mandatory? of course it’s not....neither is a track car for that matter. The problem isn’t that one can’t live without the extended tank....the issue is why not spec the extended range tank for $140? Standard tank offers no value at $140 less, it isn’t lighter without fuel, it’s requires more frequent refueling regardless of track or normal driving, and you can spec extended range and just not put as much in tank if weight is that important. I tell you what, if you want to know what standard tank is like then tie a band around your bladder and tell me how fun it is to stop and urinate every 5 minutes? It won’t kill you but it’s a hell of a lot more inconvenient!

Quick Reply: HPDE: Standard tank vs Extended tank myth