Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New OEM Sized 20" Hoosiers for GT3 (WARNING PIC HEAVY)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I wouldn’t drive Hoosier on the road, but it is not a slick. It is still a DOT tire.
It may not be a 'slick', but just because it has information on it required by the DOT, does not make it a street-legal tire.

This is simply inaccurate information:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums
...these are DOT legal tires, the car comes from the factory with Cup 2 DOT Legal racing tires as well.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It may not be a 'slick', but just because it has information on it required by the DOT, does not make it a street-legal tire.
If the DOT has purview over more than just street-legal tires, why don't real racing slicks have DOT info?

My understanding was that all DOT tires are street-legal by definition (buy only when brand new and not shaved). They may soon lose their minimum required tread depth with use or modification though...
Old 05-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Right next to the DOT information on the sidewall of the R7, I'll bet you a dollar it says 'FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY'.

Alternatively, go look for the R7 on NHTSA's website under passenger car tire information.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

just because it has information on it required by the DOT, does not make it a street-legal tire.
It absolutely is a street legal tire. It is DOT approved for street use, as opposed to the true slicks Hoosiers will also sell you that are not.

It’s not recommened for street use in part because it as a 0 treadwear rating- it’s molded at the legal minimum tread depth. This means that after only a few miles it’s below the legal wear limit and you could get a ticket for bald tires. However there’s a big difference between not recommended (DOT Hoosiers) and not legal (true racing slicks). It’s R7 is a street tire, races in classes where race slicks are banned, etc.

As a practical matter the question has been asked before: has anyone ever had a warranty claim denied due to the use of Hoosiers? The answer I’ve heard in “no”, though I’m all ears.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
It absolutely is a street legal tire. It is DOT approved for street use, as opposed to the true slicks Hoosiers will also sell you that are not.

It’s not recommened for street use in part because it as a 0 treadwear rating- it’s molded at the legal minimum tread depth. This means that after only a few miles it’s below the legal wear limit and you could get a ticket for bald tires. However there’s a big difference between not recommended (DOT Hoosiers) and not legal (true racing slicks). It’s R7 is a street tire, races in classes where race slicks are banned, etc.

As a practical matter the question has been asked before: has anyone ever had a warranty claim denied due to the use of Hoosiers? The answer I’ve heard in “no”, though I’m all ears.
With all due respect, Pete, the language regarding recommendation for street use is yours only. The manufacturer clearly states otherwise both here and on the tire sidewall (bold their emphasis):

All Hoosier Racing Tires including DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for competition purposes only on specified racing surfaces and are not to be operated on public roadways.

https://trackdaytire.com/wp-content/...re_And_Use.pdf

It is irresponsible for you and Dave to imply the R7 is in any way designed for street use.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Alan, please explain your understanding of why Hoosier makes 2 types of dry weather race tires. One has groves to meet minimum tread depth requirements for DOT legality. The other which is othen available in the same dimensions does not. Why does Hoosier add those groves, which clearly hurt performance and wear?

Old 05-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I expect it is to make them legal for racing classes that specify tires "meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance".
Old 05-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

"meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance".
= “DOT Legal” = Street Legal
Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Not if the manufacturer clearly states it is not to be used on the street under any circumstances.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:39 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Not if the manufacturer clearly states it is not to be used on the street under any circumstances.
DOT approved equals street legal. Period.

It’s completely understood that you’re running a big risk using it on the street. It will no longer be street legal after a few miles. Hoosier tells you clearly not to do it, both so they don’t get sued and so you don’t kill yourself. However none of that changes the facts: it is a DOT approved, street legal tire in the eyes of the law and the lawyers. That’s all that matters from a warranty point of view.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I guarantee you if R7s are on a car at-fault in a serious accident on the street "the eyes of the law and the lawyers" will see it differently than you do.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I guarantee you if R7s are on a car at-fault in a serious accident on the street "the eyes of the law and the lawyers" will see it differently than you do.
Side-stepping the serious accident hypothetical above, let's turn to a more innocuous one. Let's say a cop pulls you over (no accident) - could you be ticketed and rightly convicted for driving on illegal tires with fresh R7's? I don't think so...
Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Big letters in the sidewall state 'FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY'. It will be hard to talk your way out of that. "Because Petevb on Rennlist said so" isn't a great defense.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:35 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Big letters in the sidewall state 'FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY'. It will be hard to talk your way out of that. "Because Petevb on Rennlist said so" isn't a great defense.
It’s not on me to prove they are legal. They have a DOT stamp only given to tires that comply to street regulations. It’s on you (or the officer) to prove that they don’t. You’ve provided zero evidence that an R7 doesn’t meet the letter of the law. Please point to the law or code being violated. I’ll save you time- you can’t, because there isn’t one.

A Tide Pod includes clear warnings that it’s for external use only, not to be ingested. But if you’re dumb enough to eat one you’re an idiot, not a felon. Unless you can point to law being violated?

Last edited by Petevb; 05-16-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:00 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

The caveat/warning label from tire rack and Hoosier (that you continue quoting) is nothing more than a "cover your a%&" label. The real question is whether a police officer (or any transportation authority) would have a basis to cite you for running the R7's on a public road. The answer is no, they could not, because the tires are DOT rated. Now, maybe they could cite you if the tires were below the minimum tread wear level at the time you are pulled over. But, that would have nothing to do with the legality of the use of the tire on the street (as it is, again, DOT approved). It would be the same analysis if you were running cup 2's on the street that had exceed the minimum tread wear and were too "slick."

Same response/answer when it comes to an accident and whether one was running DOT approved tires. The question again would be, do the tires have the minimum tread wear? They are clearly approved for the street with their DOT rating. While you might be negligent in running tires that are to slick for the street, but you havent violated any law or standard of care by simply running a DOT approved tire in and of itself..

I'm afraid you're the one spreading misinformation. I plan to run the Hoosiers on the road (but only to and fro the gas station from track).

Quick Reply: New OEM Sized 20" Hoosiers for GT3 (WARNING PIC HEAVY)