Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New OEM Sized 20" Hoosiers for GT3 (WARNING PIC HEAVY)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:09 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

DOT approved = street legal.
Im not sure why we (you) are arguing this. Just because tire rack and Hoosier don’t recommend it for the street does not mean it’s illegal on the street. Like I said, I wouldn’t use them as street tires as there are so many better choices. I may have driven them to the gas station and back before though...
It’s nice to have choices in tires.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:01 AM
awaisrad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have friends running 19" hoosiers, for over 25 heat cycles on GT3s , for the past 2 years.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:17 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow this thread sure did get DERAILED...

THANK YOU ALAN! I'll just hope you aren't my Service Adviser when I go in for warranty work.

NO ONE is saying HOOSIER's should be driven on the street.. they are a TRACK tire... but they are NOT A SLICK Racing tire. Those are completely different, deliver considerably higher load forces and frankly weigh almost 1/2 as much as a 'DOT Competition Tire'.

To try and get us back on track... here's the latest alignment settings, getting ready for this weekends event... I'm extremely pleased with how much Camber we were able to get out of the front, just with shims and not modifying anything, or replacing any hardware. I'll look to provide updates following this weekend!

Car was weighed/aligned with a full tank of Fuel.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-25-2018, 04:54 PM
PoBoyR6
3rd Gear

Hi Dave, can you provide a breakdown on the 3255lb weight measurement. Fuel level, driver weight (or not), tires (R7 or PSC2s) etc. and any other factory options that may appreciably affect weight like PCCB, half cage, etc.

Thanks!
Allan
Old 06-25-2018, 08:17 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by PoBoyR6
Hi Dave, can you provide a breakdown on the 3255lb weight measurement. Fuel level, driver weight (or not), tires (R7 or PSC2s) etc. and any other factory options that may appreciably affect weight like PCCB, half cage, etc.

Thanks!
Allan
Hi Allan, sure.

The 3255 is Full Tank of Fuel, 2018 6speed Manual, GT3 w/ PCCB, LWB, FAL, Extended Range Tank and fire extinguisher. (No LED Lights) Oem Wheels, with Hoosier OEM Sized tires, that weigh approximately 1lb heavier than comparable MPSC2's.

No Driver, and No cage or Rollbar in the car. The car weighed 3100 even with about an 1/8th of a tank of fuel at a previous weigh in.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 AM
PoBoyR6
3rd Gear

Thanks Dave! Great info. I've been thinking a 991 GT3 would be a fun car for re-setting TT2 records in Texas especially given the lap time you set relative to your ST3 car without A7s and limited setup time. I'm estimating your body weight with gear to be ~200lbs, let me know if that sounds about right. I also think a .1 would be a better fit than a .2 as I'd likely have to run restrictors on the .2 to bring the whp down anyway. For weight adjustments it sounds like I could easily manage with fuel load, especially with the larger tank option.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:48 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Thanks Dave! Great info. I've been thinking a 991 GT3 would be a fun car for re-setting TT2 records in Texas especially given the lap time you set relative to your ST3 car without A7s and limited setup time. I'm estimating your body weight with gear to be ~200lbs, let me know if that sounds about right. I also think a .1 would be a better fit than a .2 as I'd likely have to run restrictors on the .2 to bring the whp down anyway. For weight adjustments it sounds like I could easily manage with fuel load, especially with the larger tank option.
Absolutely on the same page... And I did 'think' TT2 could still happen with the .2 but you'd have to add about 100+ lbs to the nose (or so).

A good friend races a .1 in TT2 very competitively, with not too much done to it... so out of the box, and A7's... these cars would be great for that class.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Anyone know what size Hoosier would fit the OE size rear wheels on a GT4? The wheel size is 11 x 20. Would the 305 fit right? The OE tires are 295.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:52 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Hi Dave!

Great thread, and timely for me. Can you characterize the wear you got on these tires and on these alignment? My MPSC's wear out the edges on the front with stock settings. Will likely eventually go to Hoosiers with the camber settings you have.

Thanks!!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:08 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by awaisrad
Have friends running 19" hoosiers, for over 25 heat cycles on GT3s , for the past 2 years.
This sounds like excellent news to me. I hope he's not just running to the store and back, and that counts as a heat cycle.

25 track sessions around 20min each?
Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by Shandingo
Anyone know what size Hoosier would fit the OE size rear wheels on a GT4? The wheel size is 11 x 20. Would the 305 fit right? The OE tires are 295.
Yes, I think the 305 would be the perfect size for the 11" wheel, as it's a bit smaller than the Michelin 305. If you're local (AZ) I have a new pair of the 305's available.

Originally Posted by Palting
Hi Dave!

Great thread, and timely for me. Can you characterize the wear you got on these tires and on these alignment? My MPSC's wear out the edges on the front with stock settings. Will likely eventually go to Hoosiers with the camber settings you have.

Thanks!!
I've only done one weekend on them so far... so other than 'wear across the tire' was great that weekend, I only have 4 sessions on the tires so far. I'll have the car back on the track in October and can report back. No amount of camber will save the outside edges on the MPSC2's.

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
This sounds like excellent news to me. I hope he's not just running to the store and back, and that counts as a heat cycle.

25 track sessions around 20min each?
LOL...yeah 25, 20 minute sessions seems to be a stretch. I'd say more like 12 to 16 20 minute sessions are probably more realistic, depending on your driving style.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-31-2018, 08:59 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I've only done one weekend on them so far... so other than 'wear across the tire' was great that weekend, I only have 4 sessions on the tires so far. I'll have the car back on the track in October and can report back. No amount of camber will save the outside edges on the MPSC2's.

Best Regards,
Dave
Ack, not what I wanted to hear re MPSC's. Will await your further adventures with the Hoosiers. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 AM
PoBoyR6
3rd Gear

I'm fairly certain the sidewalls of Cup2s are made of spandex...
Old 08-01-2018, 03:33 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

I'm fairly certain the sidewalls of Cup2s are made of spandex...
Which in some regard makes sense... as the tires were as light or lighter than the Hoosiers! Which is shocking to say the least. Typically Hoosiers are a considerable amount lighter than equivalent 'street tires'.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 08-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Just as an FYI, I've been in contact with Hoosier re choosing which 20" sizes will be manufactured in A compound. Unfortunately that decision has been delayed- originally they had planned to choose in July, but no joy yet as of now. So A7s are coming in 20" sizes, we just still don't know when. Just in case anyone else is waiting...

Quick Reply: New OEM Sized 20" Hoosiers for GT3 (WARNING PIC HEAVY)