Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

.2RS Added Brake Cooling = trackable PCCBs?

 
Old 05-09-2018, 09:53 AM
  #31  
CDinSing
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
CDinSing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 552
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Thanks for the input. I am trying to decide to option iron or PCCB on the next car. I have AP racing take offs from the GT3 which I would use for track if I went iron or I could sell them and go ST for little more than PCCB. With the ability to resurface once a year, that seems like the best option.
CDinSing is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 11:19 AM
  #32  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 27,296
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Love GR / gold! Such a special combo and comes as-is.
TRAKCAR is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 12:13 PM
  #33  
mcipseric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mcipseric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,663
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The PCCBs make the GT3 a different car.
In my experience, straights are 10 - 15 meters longer before the brake zone initiation with PCCBs at speeds around 100 mph and lower.
Something to be keenly aware of when transitioning to steel rotors. Especially back to back sessions in GT3s with different brakes.
I don't have any experience with ST rotors.

First world dilemmas :-)

Have Fun!
mcipseric is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM
  #34  
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
GrantG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,126
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by whatif View Post
Are the OEM calipers identical between iron and PCCB (besides yellow paint)? Only difference being pads and rotors?
OEM calipers are same, except the body of the yellow calipers has a shape that acts similar to an integrated spacer which lets it work with the larger diameter rotors. It is not possible to use the smaller iron rotors with PCCB calipers for this reason, but you can add a spacer to the red calipers to work with larger rotors.
GrantG is online now  
Old 05-09-2018, 12:25 PM
  #35  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 27,296
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Thanks Grant
TRAKCAR is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 01:52 PM
  #36  
usctrojanGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
usctrojanGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,308
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
I went steel to ST.
Same calipers, Easy install, they did mine at the track in a couple hours.
What about brake pads...didn't you have to get different pads for the ST rotors vs. the steel rotors?
usctrojanGT3 is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 01:55 PM
  #37  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 27,296
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Not sure about having to change.
i love the RE10 for steel. Pagids were recommended by ST and the combo works crazy good, so I haven’t looked around, 12 track days so far.
TRAKCAR is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:16 PM
  #38  
whatif
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mcipseric View Post
The PCCBs make the GT3 a different car.
In my experience, straights are 10 - 15 meters longer before the brake zone initiation with PCCBs at speeds around 100 mph and lower.
Something to be keenly aware of when transitioning to steel rotors. Especially back to back sessions in GT3s with different brakes.
I don't have any experience with ST rotors.

First world dilemmas :-)

Have Fun!

It's interesting, but I don't know if there's any data to support that PCCBs stop better. In theory the stopping distances should be same for both brakes with the limiting factor being the tires. The iron brakes should be able to provide the same amount of brake torque, just less thermal efficiency. Is it possible that it's the mental factor of you thinking that you have better brakes with PCCBs being more confidence inspiring, so you're more comfortable going deeper into the braking zone?
whatif is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:19 PM
  #39  
whatif
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
Never heard cracks matter..
Probably not for performance, just visually. But I guess it's still better than seeing rust on the irons.
whatif is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:22 PM
  #40  
mcipseric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mcipseric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,663
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by whatif View Post
It's interesting, but I don't know if there's any data to support that PCCBs stop better. In theory the stopping distances should be same for both brakes with the limiting factor being the tires. The iron brakes should be able to provide the same amount of brake torque, just less thermal efficiency. Is it possible that it's the mental factor of you thinking that you have better brakes with PCCBs being more confidence inspiring, so you're more comfortable going deeper into the braking zone?
I think you forgot to account for unsprung weight. Faster acceleration, higher straight speeds, lower braking distance with less unsprung weight.
mcipseric is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:25 PM
  #41  
whatif
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mcipseric View Post
I think you forgot to account for unsprung weight. Faster acceleration, higher straight speeds, lower braking distance with less unsprung weight.
Pretty sure the weight is not significant enough to notice differences in acceleration or braking. Certainly not 10-15 meters worth. I would bet that it's the mental factor more than anything else
whatif is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:33 PM
  #42  
mcipseric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mcipseric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,663
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

1 lbs of unsprung weight is approximately 15.5 lbs of sprung weight. So if we reduce the unsprung weight by 10 lbs per corner = 40 lbs unsprung weight = 620 lbs lighter sprung weight. Much better performance.
mcipseric is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:40 PM
  #43  
mcipseric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mcipseric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,663
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by whatif View Post
Pretty sure the weight is not significant enough to notice differences in acceleration or braking. Certainly not 10-15 meters worth. I would bet that it's the mental factor more than anything else
I highly recommend going to the nearest Porsche Experience Center and see for yourself. You will learn lots and have a great time!
mcipseric is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:42 PM
  #44  
whatif
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mcipseric View Post
1 lbs of unsprung weight is approximately 18 lbs of sprung weight. So if we reduce the unsprung weight by 10 lbs per corner = 40 lbs unsprung weight = 720 lbs lighter sprung weight. Much better performance.
What are you basing that math on? How is 1lb = 18 lbs of sprung?

I don't have a PhD in physics, but that just doesn't sound right logically. The car weighs around 3100 lbs total. You're telling me that PCCB = 23% weight difference?

If that was the case the lap time difference between iron and PCCBs would be MASSIVE, but it's basically the same (maybe a tiny fraction slower).
whatif is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:47 PM
  #45  
whatif
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mcipseric View Post
I highly recommend going to the nearest Porsche Experience Center and see for yourself. You will learn lots and have a great time!
I've been to Atlanta -- drove a GT4 with PCCB. Definitely a great time. I also had a .2GT3 with PCCB. But now I'm not so sure about ordering them in the .2 RS since I want to do more track time with it.
whatif is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: .2RS Added Brake Cooling = trackable PCCBs?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: