Sponsored by:

Rev Match on manual 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by dbulker
Hope you are having a blast. Yes Laguna Seca has a noise limit but that is the only track in CA that I am aware of that limits it. I mostly drive Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla. No limits there. I am counting the miles to get to 1000 so I can open it up
2000. I know, it's seems like forever Had 2300 miles in before I tracked it. Did it in 2 months. LOL
Old 05-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

I am coming for the GT4 where I had an FVD Sport exhaust and LT Headers. The car sounded wicked and really loved it. My .2 GT3 has a GRP Bypass on her and, at first, I was a little underwhelmed compared to my GT4. It was vertainly loder than GT4 but loved the tone on the GT4. I now have a 1000 miles and the .2 exhaust rocks. It is ferocious and so natural sounding. There was too much artificial stuff going on with the GT4 and although it sounded great the GT3 has finally woken up and I freakin love it. It took some time getting used to and getting the car broken in.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
The center muffler delete is a must for any gt3. I was on the fence a few years ago with my 2015 gt3 until I went to an open house at GMG which many people attended. There were over 10 991 gt3/RS there and everyone had a center section delete. I spoke with a few people who had them, bought one and never looked back. It’s a must do along with clear side markers. These cars need nothing else
which Center delete would you recommend for louder but closer to stock sound? Do you notice the open and close transition some complain about? What weight saving can be expected ? Much appreciated
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

Soul Performance in my case..I found the pricing of some other vendors a bit over the top for some welded pipes, and Soul was less than half the price,
so I gave it a try.

Can´t complain at all, fitting was spot-on, sound is just right for my taste and still neighbour-friendly with PSE off, yet absolutely amazing in open mode.
Since all center deletes are more or less similar in design and dimensions, I wouldn´t expect huge differences in sound anyway.

Peter

Old 05-16-2018, 11:09 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

which Center delete would you recommend for louder but closer to stock sound? Do you notice the open and close transition some complain about? What weight saving can be expected ? Much appreciated
I think sharkwerks is closest to stock sound. GMG and BBI/GRP are a little deeper and louder, which I prefer, but to my ear there isn’t a big difference. The transition to open valves around 4K rpm is a little more pronounced compared to stock, but not a big deal - it sounds great when the valves open. I believe the stock exhaust is around 20 lbs, so u save around 10 lbs.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am coming for the GT4 where I had an FVD Sport exhaust and LT Headers. The car sounded wicked and really loved it. My .2 GT3 has a GRP Bypass on her and, at first, I was a little underwhelmed compared to my GT4. It was vertainly loder than GT4 but loved the tone on the GT4. I now have a 1000 miles and the .2 exhaust rocks. It is ferocious and so natural sounding. There was too much artificial stuff going on with the GT4 and although it sounded great the GT3 has finally woken up and I freakin love it. It took some time getting used to

and getting the car broken in.
The car? or the driver?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:23 AM
ONEOFEW
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

Sharkwerks is pretty close to the stock sound. Also you can use the OE exhaust tips with Sharkwerks. I did the install myself, left my valves disconnected. Heel n toe rev matching is very pronounced at any rpm.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5650.mov (1.52 MB, 50 views)

Last edited by ONEOFEW; 05-16-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:28 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

If I am not mistaken, my 991.1 GTS is also the same as far as rev matching (blip) below 4K. For me, I like it that way. I can do my own rev matching below that rpm which I usually does. Above that, I’ll let the car do the matching but, sometimes, I keep on doing it. I will still do it with my GT3 whenever it get delivered.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm still confused on how mine works. My Boxster was 100% predictable. You put the stick into a gear and it would immediately rev match that gear. No matter which gear. No matter when you did it.

The GT3 is different. As mentioned earlier, it has some sort of witchcraft going on to predict what it needs to do and then just does it. Sometimes it doesn't.

With the Boxster, if it didn't rev-match it was because you were going too fast for that gear. I've had my GT3 not rev-match for no reason I can think of. Just out on city streets going from 5th to 4th or 3rd at speeds well under their redlines, I've had it not match. I've put it back to neutral and back to 4th to try again with no result. Then 3rd. No result. Then clutch out and back in and then it does it. Weird stuff like that. I honestly don't understand it.

I'm betting it's better on the track if I don't screw it up. The predictions are accurate to what I SHOULD do if not to what I ACTUALLY do because I'm an idiot. Maybe the greater rev range means it needs to start early to get it done quickly when the 981 didn't need as much time. I have no idea.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry if I missed this, but with the GT3, does the valve not open until 4k rpm even with the exhaust button turned on? On the GT4 the difference in sound is pronounced even at lower revs with the valve open.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:35 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
Sorry if I missed this, but with the GT3, does the valve not open until 4k rpm even with the exhaust button turned on? On the GT4 the difference in sound is pronounced even at lower revs with the valve open.
Correct.

PSE pushed = valves open at idle. But then close when you start moving. Then open after 4K.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Correct.

PSE pushed = valves open at idle. But then close when you start moving. Then open after 4K.
And what happens if you leave the button off. The valves still open above 4k?
Old 05-16-2018, 07:01 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
And what happens if you leave the button off. The valves still open above 4k?
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14970953

Quick Reply: Rev Match on manual 991.2 GT3