Sponsored by:

Rev Match on manual 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:14 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Im coming from a GT4 and am glad it has less popping which to me seems very digital in nature (same exac pattern every time). If I was 20 years younger I might enjoy it, but it detracts from the (supposedly analogue) experience for me.
This thread is really about the rev matching though and that ripping snappy noise from the 981 was better. It just was.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dbulker

yes you get my point. My GT4 has this real raw popping sound. Even when I first got it before break in. I just don’t get that with the GT3. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

anykne have any ideas on an exhaust change for the GT3?
On GT4 and Spyder, there is both a Sport button and Exhaust button. Sport button (or Sport Plus button on Spyder) turns on auto-blipping on downshifts. Exhaust button adds volume to exhaust and also appears to add the pops and gurgles to the exhaust that several have mentioned.

It’s a matter of personal preference whether you like the pops and gurgles, which as another poster said, is presumably done by fuel remapping to cause some unburnt fuel to get into exhaust? GT3 never does this, I believe.

Personally I don’t like the pops and gurgles, which are essentially artificial and unnecessary and also draw unwanted attention around town. GT3 more honest.

When I had GT4 (and Spyder now) I tend to drive with auto blip on, as it does help smooth out downshifts if you’re not a heal-and-toe master (I’m not) but sport Exhaust button OFF, since exhaust already sounds just fine without it and it’s more honest without those pops and gurgles.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:39 AM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

I definitely felt the gearbox, and drivetrain for that manner, start to come alive after 600 miles. Just warm her up.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 AM
sebinko
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously I am not the only one having the same experience. Coming as well from GT4 this was my biggest disappointment. I drove my car first time last week for about 300km. I liked the torque down low, you can`t compare it to GT3, like the engine has 50% bigger displacement. This makes as well the gearing much much better. But then the down shifts with the rev mach. I was really disappointed. Keeping the revs below 4000 for the first 700km.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:50 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
This thread is really about the rev matching though and that ripping snappy noise from the 981 was better. It just was.
Ok, understood. So we are talking about the 'blip' and how exhilarating it is when you are really on it and you slam it down a gear. But OP has only taken their car to 4k rpms. How much 'blipping' are people expecting when you keep the revs below 4k?

Originally Posted by sebinko
Obviously I am not the only one having the same experience. Coming as well from GT4 this was my biggest disappointment. I drove my car first time last week for about 300km. I liked the torque down low, you can`t compare it to GT3, like the engine has 50% bigger displacement. This makes as well the gearing much much better. But then the down shifts with the rev mach. I was really disappointed. Keeping the revs below 4000 for the first 700km.
What do you mean by 50% bigger displacement? GT4 is 3.8 and GT3 is 4.0? Thats 5%.

With respect to blipping, how much are you expecting whilst keeping the car under 4k?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:35 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

Exhaust won't change anything.. the popping sound is programmed in by the ECU... it's a branding effort, nothing you can do on gt3 even changing exhaust.. it all happens before reaching the exhaust.
Your opinion obviously can´t be based on real experience, so much I can say after mounting the center exhaust delete (Soul Performance in my case). The rawness, sharpness or whatever you might call it, as known
and appreciated from the GT4, is back guys. I´m very happy with the outcome...PSE closesd is still neighbour-friendly, open makes you smile frome ear to ear, this is what a GT car sholud sound like.

Peter
Old 05-11-2018, 06:12 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys complaining about sound and lack of pops need to drive the GT350R and then drive the GT3 again. Mustang or not but it sounds just incredible.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:18 AM
sebinko
3rd Gear

what i meant is that there is about 50% more torque between 2000-4000 in comparison. Maybe not that much on paper, but that is how it feels. I had always issues with the log gearing on GT4. I am not aware of the GT3 ratios but I bet it is pretty much the same. Nevertheless in low RPM in GT3 I don`t have the feeling that there is something missing
Old 05-11-2018, 08:04 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Ok, understood. So we are talking about the 'blip' and how exhilarating it is when you are really on it and you slam it down a gear. But OP has only taken their car to 4k rpms. How much 'blipping' are people expecting when you keep the revs below 4k?
Not quite. If I’m honest, when I’m really on it and slam it down a gear I’m not thinking about the noise. It’s all loud and exhilarating and that’s fine and wonderful.

Where I actually miss it is when I’m rolling up to a stop sign or red light in 4th gear and slip it into 2nd or 1st before stopping. It’s those moments when the sound is really the only thing that matters and the 981 was better. I’m past break-in so I can grab a low gear and have it jump to higher RPMs. The noise is not as raw.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:37 AM
dbulker
AutoX

What do you mean by 50% bigger displacement? GT4 is 3.8 and GT3 is 4.0? Thats 5%.

With respect to blipping, how much are you expecting whilst keeping the car under 4k?
well with my GT4 even below 4000 the blip is more raw. From what I’m gathering, gotta go with an exhaust change. Just trying to figure out whether to do a center bypass or go with the whole header change. Going through the forums, Dundon appears to make the most sense as you gain somewhere between 25 to 30HP but not sure I want to go that complicated. Maybe a Sharkwreck or GMG
Old 05-11-2018, 04:18 PM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Exhuast

Originally Posted by Palting
Heh-heh. The sound is underwhelming street driving while on break-in, isn't it? Anyhow, there are several threads on it, just search "exhaust" or "muffler bypass". Me, I am waiting for my first track weekend to decide if I want it noisier, or if it sounds just perfect blasting around a track full throttle. After break in, there is a nice baritone that comes on at and beyond 4K rpm when the cams change, then the scream as it approaches 9K. Not sure I want it any noisier.

yes you get my point. My GT4 has this real raw popping sound. Even when I first got it before break in. I just don’t get that with the GT3. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

anykne have any ideas on an exhaust change for the GT3?
I had a gt4 and loved the rev match butbhated the artificial sound of the exhaust. Too close to base 911 burbles and pops. My 991.2 will be here this week and am sure that the sound post break in will be amazing. My gt4 hardly made much sound on downshifts that were at driving Ms Daisy speeds but was very crisp and cool at huh revs when I drove at COTA. I’d say be patient. I’m sure you will be thrilled. Hoping so for both our sakes.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:01 PM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well with my GT4 even below 4000 the blip is more raw. From what I’m gathering, gotta go with an exhaust change. Just trying to figure out whether to do a center bypass or go with the whole header change. Going through the forums, Dundon appears to make the most sense as you gain somewhere between 25 to 30HP but not sure I want to go that complicated. Maybe a Sharkwreck or GMG
have sw on my 997 and it’s awesome. My buddies 991 Gt3 has GMG and it’s sick on that platform. Can’t go wring. For the value I think bypass is for me. To each his own. Enjoy your car!! Pic would be cool
Old 05-12-2018, 07:58 PM
dbulker
AutoX

Old 05-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice car! Miami Blue is one of my favorites!!

Am at the track, have been here for 2 days now. The sound of the car with the PSE is GLORIOUS!!. Pops, burbles, baritones, screams......... a whole orchestra and you've got it all. If you track the car, I would suggest staying stock.I am. Some tracks have a noise limit, and aftermarket exhausts can make you exceed the limit. If it is mostly or just street use, then yes, look into BBI, GRP, etc, for the louder sound under street driving conditions.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:17 PM
dbulker
AutoX

Hope you are having a blast. Yes Laguna Seca has a noise limit but that is the only track in CA that I am aware of that limits it. I mostly drive Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla. No limits there. I am counting the miles to get to 1000 so I can open it up

Quick Reply: Rev Match on manual 991.2 GT3