Sponsored by:

Rev Match on manual 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Marker1
Also noticed that it anticipates a downshift on hard braking and blips before the lever is pulled. Anyone else notice that?
Yep. I taught it a lesson or two over the weekend about assumptions!! Let it know who's boss, if you will!!

Hard braking from around 250 km/h in 5th gear... clutch in (revs jump)... shift to 6th and clutch out... it did NOT like that ONE BIT!!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:09 PM
dbulker
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
To clarify, maybe it´s just my lack of corerect terms to describe, I do not mean those ugly and artifical popping sounds a la M4 and other turbps. Just listen to a GT4, nothing cheesy or dishonest there.
Driving both back to back, GT3 brand new, I could not help bit find the GT3 rev match a bit too unspectacular. It simply lacked some sharpness and force, which seems to be coming along with the miles.

Peter
yes you get my point. My GT4 has this real raw popping sound. Even when I first got it before break in. I just don’t get that with the GT3. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

anykne have any ideas on an exhaust change for the GT3?
Old 05-08-2018, 01:20 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by dbulker

yes you get my point. My GT4 has this real raw popping sound. Even when I first got it before break in. I just don’t get that with the GT3. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Heh-heh. The sound is underwhelming street driving while on break-in, isn't it? Anyhow, there are several threads on it, just search "exhaust" or "muffler bypass". Me, I am waiting for my first track weekend to decide if I want it noisier, or if it sounds just perfect blasting around a track full throttle. After break in, there is a nice baritone that comes on at and beyond 4K rpm when the cams change, then the scream as it approaches 9K. Not sure I want it any noisier.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:37 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry I forgot to mention that Sean's car has a center muffler delete. Maybe that's why it sounded awesome. Carry on.....
Old 05-08-2018, 02:31 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Heh-heh. The sound is underwhelming street driving while on break-in, isn't it? Anyhow, there are several threads on it, just search "exhaust" or "muffler bypass". Me, I am waiting for my first track weekend to decide if I want it noisier, or if it sounds just perfect blasting around a track full throttle. After break in, there is a nice baritone that comes on at and beyond 4K rpm when the cams change, then the scream as it approaches 9K. Not sure I want it any noisier.
Agreed. I wouldn't come to any conclusions about the sound of the car until after one has taken it to 9K under full throttle. Break-in is going to be underwhelming.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I have only a stock exhaust on my .2 Manual. It does seem (from inside the car) that the exhaust is a bit tame sounding. However, drive through a tunnel at high revs with both windows fully open sometime - it sounds amazing!

In general, I think those outside the car are treated to much better sounds than the occupants (especially with windows closed). I'm sure it can be further improved with BBI/Graham Rahal center bypass, etc...
Old 05-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm with you 100%. It wasn't a GT4, but I notice the same difference from my Boxster GTS to the GT3. Frankly, on the rev-matching the Boxster sounded better. Just is what it is I guess. They've done something different with the rev matching in the new cars. We're not the first to notice it. I bet it's functionally better. I don't recall my Boxster ever "predicting" my shift. It did it's thing when the stick went into gear as far as I recall. And it definitely didn't do the matched up-shifts. So the system is different and it sounds different. Probably works better. Definitely doesn't sound as good.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:55 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

side mufflers delete
enjoy the popping
Old 05-09-2018, 02:19 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Sorry I forgot to mention that Sean's car has a center muffler delete. Maybe that's why it sounded awesome. Carry on.....
Made my day, thank you for the very promising statement

My center muffler delete should arrive today. I only hope it is not over the edge at WOT, since the stock exhaust is already screaming @ 9000rpm.

In general, the GT3 is loud enough at WOT but a little tame below 5000/6000 rpm, we´ll see where it goes...

Peter
Old 05-09-2018, 02:29 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
To clarify, maybe it´s just my lack of corerect terms to describe, I do not mean those ugly and artifical popping sounds a la M4 and other turbps. Just listen to a GT4, nothing cheesy or dishonest there.
Driving both back to back, GT3 brand new, I could not help bit find the GT3 rev match a bit too unspectacular. It simply lacked some sharpness and force, which seems to be coming along with the miles.

Peter
How is the popping "honest"?.. it's artificially created by the ecu on the lesser cars, but left out on the GT3, and GT2. I don't understand Porsche's logic here..

Exhaust won't change anything.. the popping sound is programmed in by the ECU... it's a branding effort, nothing you can do on gt3 even changing exhaust.. it all happens before reaching the exhaust.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:32 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The center muffler delete is a must for any gt3. I was on the fence a few years ago with my 2015 gt3 until I went to an open house at GMG which many people attended. There were over 10 991 gt3/RS there and everyone had a center section delete. I spoke with a few people who had them, bought one and never looked back. It’s a must do along with clear side markers. These cars need nothing else
Old 05-09-2018, 02:37 AM
dbulker
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you get your center muffler delete?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

where did you get your center muffler delete?
ditto
Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bypass is made by MBRP, which is similar in sound to GMG and GRP/BBI. All are great choices in addition to Sharkwerks
Old 05-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
How is the popping "honest"?.. it's artificially created by the ecu on the lesser cars, but left out on the GT3, and GT2. I don't understand Porsche's logic here..

Exhaust won't change anything.. the popping sound is programmed in by the ECU... it's a branding effort, nothing you can do on gt3 even changing exhaust.. it all happens before reaching the exhaust.
Im coming from a GT4 and am glad it has less popping which to me seems very digital in nature (same exac pattern every time). If I was 20 years younger I might enjoy it, but it detracts from the (supposedly analogue) experience for me.

Quick Reply: Rev Match on manual 991.2 GT3