Sponsored by:

Touring vs Wing review

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 02:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I don't get why some are blasting the OP for sharing his *observations* - He's not proclaiming objective fact, it's a forum to share opinions

Since I likely won't get seat time back to back between a winged GT3 and a GT3T, I'm enjoying reading about the differences he is noticing/feeling between the 2 GT3s he's lucky to own. Especially since PAG is saying the GT3 and GT3T are identical, but we have some members saying they're noticing some small differences...

If we just went with objective facts around here, wouldn't be as fun of a place to "hang out"
As long as opinions aren't misrepresented as facts.. we good. Also.. and even more crucial, as long as we don't take ourselves too seriously. Then yes, it's a fun place to hang out. But OP isn't getting "blasted"... no one is insulting his mama! He's getting ribbing for certain claims which border on the silly, and challenged on others. The ability to peacefully do THAT ALSO.. is what makes the forum a fun place to hang out.

Now, where were we?.. oh yea, I heard that the metal window trim on the touring is lighter and more aerodynamic than on the wingy, I can tell by the different wooshing sound it makes.. prove me wrong!! COME AT ME BRO!
Attached Images        
Old 05-10-2018, 04:44 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
As long as opinions aren't misrepresented as facts.. we good. Also.. and even more crucial, as long as we don't take ourselves too seriously. Then yes, it's a fun place to hang out. But OP isn't getting "blasted"... no one is insulting his mama! He's getting ribbing for certain claims which border on the silly, and challenged on others. The ability to peacefully do THAT ALSO.. is what makes the forum a fun place to hang out.

Now, where were we?.. oh yea, I heard that the metal window trim on the touring is lighter and more aerodynamic than on the wingy, I can tell by the different wooshing sound it makes.. prove me wrong!! COME AT ME BRO!
This is without doubt the most stupid,childish,incomprehensible,hypocritical and downright confusing post, i've ever had the misfortune of reading on any public forum..If you're an intelligent person you're doing a pretty good job of disguising it..
Old 05-10-2018, 07:12 AM
BLACKMAMBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense to me. Some people like to represent their views and opinions as fact. If this is done without evidence or support, expect a few questions and some P taking.

Not hard to follow if you try? I don’t think anyone is having a go at the OP. I found his views interesting.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:09 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
This is without doubt the most stupid,childish,incomprehensible,hypocritical and downright confusing post, i've ever had the misfortune of reading on any public forum..If you're an intelligent person you're doing a pretty good job of disguising it..
Whoa...lost your sense of humor?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Whoa...lost your sense of humor?
+1
Old 05-10-2018, 12:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jennifer911
I think the Touring model may have the advantage here. Just like the various lesser 911 models, the GT3 Touring has a modest little spoiler that pops up at speed. This provides a skim of high pressure air over the rear deck. High pressure air, is dense air, (in the same manner that cold air is denser than hot air). This improves the pumping efficiency of the engine. The air intakes are perfectly situated to take advantage of this.

As Larry Cable pointed out, the underside of a car’s wing will create a lot of turbulent air. the air scoops are most likely there to mitigate this. In keeping with notion that the simplest solution is often the best, I suggest a provisional win to the Touring for slightly more HP at speed.
I have to disagree with that on two points; firstly the presence of the scoops creates a ram air effect that is not present on the T, +20bhp at vmax, secondly *any* turbulence generated will occur at or
beyond the trailing edge of the wing which is behind the scoop intake...

I also disagree with the original premise that the T wing creates a high pressure zone over the decklid intake on the T, what it actually does is decreases the low pressure zone at the back of the car
by forcing the airflow upwards, reducing the lift and drag, this also occurs "downwind" of (i.e behind) the T's air intake...
Old 05-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Old 05-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I have to disagree with that on two points; firstly the presence of the scoops creates a ram air effect that is not present on the T, +20bhp at vmax, secondly *any* turbulence generated will occur at or
beyond the trailing edge of the wing which is behind the scoop intake...

I also disagree with the original premise that the T wing creates a high pressure zone over the decklid intake on the T, what it actually does is decreases the low pressure zone at the back of the car
by forcing the airflow upwards, reducing the lift and drag, this also occurs "downwind" of (i.e behind) the T's air intake...
This observation makes perfect sense..The two air scoops are perfectly positioned to maximise the ''Ram air'' effect..This extra 20HP at V max will never be felt in road driving and irrelevant. I've just returned from a quick 60 mile blast in my 981 Spyder, top down of course.! Even with a paltry 375HP i can't imagine having any more fun in my .2GT3 PDK..The Spyder epitomises what a perfect well rounded Porsche sports car should be about..Lightweight,amazing 6 speeder,spine tingling noise and an amazing lack of scuttle shake..
It could quite possibly be my favourite Porsche for fun driving i've ever owned..
Old 05-10-2018, 06:39 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

This observation makes perfect sense..

In my opinion:
The two air scoops are perfectly positioned to maximise the ''Ram air'' effect..This extra 20HP at V max will never be felt in road driving and irrelevant. I've just returned from a quick 60 mile blast in my 981 Spyder, top down of course.! Even with a paltry 375HP i can't imagine having any more fun in my .2GT3 PDK..The Spyder epitomises what a perfect well rounded Porsche sports car should be about..Lightweight,amazing 6 speeder,spine tingling noise and an amazing lack of scuttle shake..
It could quite possibly be my favourite Porsche for fun driving i've ever owned..
Fixed it!
Old 05-10-2018, 07:10 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Well I ordered the RS-style door pulls from Porsche Exclusive on my car and I gotta tell ya, I hadn't noticed it before but today when I gave the door a swing I finally realized it was like butter compared to the door on the winged car that was sitting at the dealer when I picked mine up. I'm convinced it's because the nylon pull weighs substantially less than the standard handle.

As to the ram air effect; well, while driving on the autobahn I definitely felt I was missing out on 20 horsepower and because of it the entire experience was disappointing. Luckily, I had a date that night who told me about the horrible experience she had a few days earlier. A guy she was seeing for the first time was bragging about how he had spent over 150k on his car and when she saw it she realized it came with some cheap-looking plastic scoops in the back. Turned out it was a winged GT3 Thank God she didn't ask me to pop that rear spoiler up on my Touring or she would have noticed that I was missing the carbon underneath and I might not have gotten laid either
That's some good castrated bull **** there.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i rarely compare everything, i used to. as a kid. i wanted the BEST
now i find it's just a waste of time.
if you need to "compare back to back" the difference is too small. gala apple vs fuji... why bother, just eat it
watermelon and durian they are different, you dont need to compare at all, just eat it

calexio is right dont take things too seriously b/c u will miss the fun
Old 05-10-2018, 07:44 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if you need to "compare back to back" the difference is too small. gala apple vs fuji... why bother, just eat it
watermelon and durian they are different, you dont need to compare at all, just eat it

Durian...mmmmmm! Must go to the market to find some now.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

This observation makes perfect sense..The two air scoops are perfectly positioned to maximise the ''Ram air'' effect..This extra 20HP at V max will never be felt in road driving and irrelevant. I've just returned from a quick 60 mile blast in my 981 Spyder, top down of course.! Even with a paltry 375HP i can't imagine having any more fun in my .2GT3 PDK..The Spyder epitomises what a perfect well rounded Porsche sports car should be about..Lightweight,amazing 6 speeder,spine tingling noise and an amazing lack of scuttle shake..
Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Fixed it!
just to be clear, its AP that stated that the scoops on the GT3 deliver +20bhp @ vmax ... so I consider that probably more than just his "opinion"

it is my "opinion" however that in the absence of such the 'T' might lack that "benefit"; but we could probably tell if someone who owns both could post pictures of the bhp/tq maps that are
usually found in back of the respective owners manuals... they *might* illustrate that difference ... or they might not since those maps are probably generated from a static engine run where
there is no airflow circa 185mph flowing over the car ...
Old 05-10-2018, 11:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

**** that. Fuji all the way.

Quick Reply: Touring vs Wing review