Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for some mods to GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 AM
NotThatFast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone help with the contact details of the outfit in S FL that produces/sells OEM roll cage for the 991 GT3?

Thank you
Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NotThatFast
Can anyone help with the contact details of the outfit in S FL that produces/sells OEM roll cage for the 991 GT3?

Thank you
Sure, happy to PM you the info. Let me warn you they were fast to charge my cc because they had "only one left that was already being shipped." Then for nearly 2 months I kept hearing excuses until I gave up and bought a Cantrell, which I should have done from the get go.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:35 AM
NotThatFast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds painful!

Thanks for the message, I will try my luck and see.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

when I attend track days many people seem to think I've got my car setup pretty well for the track - they often ask - what did you do to it? And then want to know where to find the equipment that I have found and used…until now I have not had that list prepared - well here it is…

while this list is not for everyone and I'm not suggesting my setup is "the best" - I will humbly suggest I've been tracking for a number of years and if you're building a track monster my list may be a place to start - and then customize to suite your personal tastes…

here is the list of modifications to my 991.2 GT3 that I did to make it the best track day weapon for me - enjoy! (astute observers will note items from this very thread on the list, and yes we can all learn from each other! - thank you to the list for the items that helped me with my track monster).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
GT3 Track Purchase List.pdf (66.5 KB, 228 views)
Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

This is great daveo4porsche! Used your list to order the seat belt buckle clip! I just picked up my car yesterday after swapping PCCBs to AP racing brakes. Will see how it goes at Homestead with Chin this weekend. Will post some pictures and impressions later.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:03 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

First weekend with AP racing brakes. Interesting change from PCCB. A little less “bite” at first that is decreasing as it beds in better. Clearly better modulation. Feeling very slight “thumping” from back on hard braking that appears to be from ABS. Jeff and Essex have been great throughout the process and did not leave me empty handed on a Saturday clarifying the new findings as I play with new brakes. Overall a clear improvement. I don’t think it will be long to completely forget about PCCBs.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:20 PM
CharlieBrown3121
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m looking to make the same Brake swap on my 991.2 RS. I’d appreciate any additional impressions/feedback/details you have on the difference between the oem PCCB and the AP setup. Are you able to brake later? Any fad issues? Also, what pads did you go with? Thanks!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:25 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Very helpful list, thanks for posting. What’s the seat belt clip for? To turn of the buckle seat belt light and bell? Then doesn’t the unbuckled OEM belt just bang around against the door and seat? Mine did, which is why instead I just buckle the belt behind my back and then sit on it and use the 6 points. any concerns I should have with doing it my way?
Old 04-08-2019, 12:35 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

seat buckles disable the "fasten seat belt" nannies - I don't like sitting on the 3 point belts (it's uncomfortable) - I haven't noticed mine banging around - I don't see anything wrong with the approach of clicking them and sitting on them - other than personal comfort - so if they don't bother you then great!
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Fun weekend with some interesting company in Homestead as you can see in the pictures.

So I did a bedding procedure when I got the car and then did a 30 min warm up session under yellow with no heavy braking. On the first hot session did a couple easy laps then started hammering it. First session was horrible. Lots of vibration with a weird thumping under heavy braking on the hear brakes that appeared to be ABS. Braking on flat part of track on straight line. Could feel on seats and also noise. Well, that got me scared. Emailed Jeff from Essex parts and in 5 minutes Mike, who designed the brakes was calling me for some advice. Amazing support. After some pictures shared, some reinforcement that all was good, back to track.

As the first day passed and likely bedding improved the vibration improved significantly. It is a little more vibration than what I was used from PCCB on GT3 and GT4 over the last few years. Mike said that was expected. Nothing dramatic and it did decrease with time. But still more than PCCB and I got used to it after couple sessions.

The thumping could still be noticed on the second day. It was not as evident so not sure if I got used to it or indeed decreasing. Always in the same turns with heavy braking, mainly 8. Maybe a little less intense I would say. Could not pinpoint it on VBox video or data. Would love to find a way to figure out what it is.

Braking sensation is very different. I have to brake heavier to have same braking power. There seems to be more travel on the pedal. So it gives more room for modulation. Still braking a little earlier than I used to but think that will change fast as I recalibrate my feet. Lots of adjustment as the weekend passed and interestingly, still dropped 2 seconds on my lap times. No other mod on car since last time.

There is this very interesting swooshing sound when braking that Mike explained is related to the J-hooks. Very interesting. Did not experience any fading. It was around 80 degrees, not sure track temp.

Overall very happy and would like to thank Jeff and Mike for great support throughout the entire process - purchase, working with my shop - Parkhaus - on installation, and “trackside” over the weekend.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:19 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieBrown3121
I’m looking to make the same Brake swap on my 991.2 RS. I’d appreciate any additional impressions/feedback/details you have on the difference between the oem PCCB and the AP setup. Are you able to brake later? Any fad issues? Also, what pads did you go with? Thanks!

sent you a PM...I have the Girodisc PCCB-to-steel conversion kit form Clark at Apex up for sale as I sold my GT3.
Also, new in box Ferodo DS 1.11 pads
Old 04-10-2019, 10:58 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar

These are some great photos of you in action! Do you have any more of you in the pit lanes? Since we didn't get to shoot your car we'd love to get some of your best photos and upload them to the website - David@WheelsBoutique.com

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WheelsB
These are some great photos of you in action! Do you have any more of you in the pit lanes? Since we didn't get to shoot your car we'd love to get some of your best photos and upload them to the website - David@WheelsBoutique.com
Thanks David, sorry we never had the chance to do it. Will send you some pics

The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 12:39 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

So once the mod bug bites you, it is really hard to stop...

I finally got the Akrapovic exhausts I have had my eyes on for a while. Thanks Wheels Boutique for the great deal!

I got the race slip on with link pipes. Kept original headers for now. Wanted to see how it would sound from the fabspeed side deletes. Didn’t want it terribly obnoxious and did it deliver. It is just great. Still highly doable for street. Can still enjoy music when driving at highway speeds (or the boring drive to Sebring...). Sound is huge upgrade. Don’t know how to describe. It is just different. Maybe I can say like comparing a CD and LP sound? I don’t know, sounds clearer.

It should not without the headers but for the life of me my butt meter feels a little gain in power???? Don’t know. Maybe it is just my mind trying to fool me to make it easier to accept the dent in my DE budget...

Anyways, time for more mods! So what is next?

- numeric race short shifter?
- dsc controller?
- bbi suspension package?

I like to do them one at a time to see what impact they have (and give me time to save between mods...).

look forward to suggestions!
The following users liked this post:
WheelsB (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 01:14 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

@aalencar It's always a pleasure working with you. Thank you for the support. I can't believe we STILL haven't gotten a proper photoshoot going! ;p

Quick Reply: Time for some mods to GT3