Time for some mods to GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 09:30 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
VBOX is great.
Let me know if you need help with that, make sure it comes with all tracks loaded and a nice scene.

I went with BBI roll bar, heard of some fitment issues with others.
Most recently only, you can get the original Porsche bar now in South Florida.

Acro nice, but $$$
I went Fabspeed side muffler delete with flaps. Lighter and cooler running without the 2 big cans and quiet enough with flaps closed.

Where did you place you VBOX antenna?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:31 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hams955
You're welcome!

HD2 is awesome. Here's a link of it running in my car recently at the Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX

https://youtu.be/HWYb5i1MwrI

- Chris
Where did you put your antenna? I am looking at this system now to add to my track goodies.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Where did you put your antenna? I am looking at this system now to add to my track goodies.
You can do it a few ways. Racelogic says the best method is top center of the roof; the GPS antenna has a magnetic base to it. You can also use double-sided tape and secure it to your dash up front at the windshield.

Personally speaking - I removed the radio from my car. I had this silly idea one night that I bet the VBOX could use the integral GPS antenna from the car. I found a company that makes a Fakra to coaxial adapter. It allowed me to plug the OEM porsche GPS antenna into the VBOX. It works perfectly and no external antenna.

- Chris.
The following users liked this post:
Anu2g (04-21-2024)
Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Shoot me a PM I will visit with you. I don't know if the author of the scene wants me broadcasting his contact info.

- Chris.
PM sent.

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Where did you place you VBOX antenna?
Vbox under passenger seat - power cable runs into glove box to power on/off.

display suction cups on the radio screen - stores away in footwell net when not on track.

​​​​​​​antenna on the dash under windshield

Old 05-06-2018, 11:08 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks everyone. My question is regards to 4- or 6- point was whether you would still be able to use 3-point on the street. That answers it and I will go with 6-point then. GMG looks closer to OEM. Pete, will PM you about getting OEM here in S FL. Chris, PM on its way for the scenes. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 05-06-2018, 02:47 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

I have a 6 point and don't have any issues using my 3 point when going for drives or heading over for club meet or C&G meet
Old 05-06-2018, 06:32 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks a lot. That was the input I was looking for. So helpful. I will go for 6-point! Thanks!
Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Hams
Do I understand that those six point belts can be installed without the use of a rollbar and can be put in the car with just the attachment points of the three point belts???
Thanks
Old 05-06-2018, 09:11 PM
scooteria681
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please, do NOT use a 4-point harness ever...and if you use a 6-point harness, you NEED extra rollover protection and Head and Neck device of some sort. If you can spend that much on a GT3, you can afford to have adequate safety equipment, IMO. Also, a fire doesn't discriminate between DE and racing (I think mooty said that once.)
Old 05-07-2018, 06:25 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 952 Likes on 480 Posts

If you're serious about tracking I would recommend HRE's R101 Lightweight. They save you almost 30 lbs over the OEM wheels and allow for you to use a wider tire out back (325).

My good buddy Chris (Hams955) has them on his RS

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 05-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by maspirito
Hams
Do I understand that those six point belts can be installed without the use of a rollbar and can be put in the car with just the attachment points of the three point belts???
Thanks
You 100% need a roll bar to install the shoulder harness portion of the 6 point belt.

BBi or GMG are good options. BBi bar follows the contour of your roof and gives you good rearward vision.

If planning to run your buckets you will also need the sub belt bracket. Numerous vendors making them. BBi does make it. Personally I prefer the Cantrell design for a couple of reasons.

Let us know how else we can help. This is a forum. We are here to help!

Chrid.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:30 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 1,777 Posts

love the front facing camera mounted from the mirror - I've ordered the same bracket for the same camera - looking for advice on how to route the camera wire from the front mirror to the VBox unit?

any thoughts or photos would be appreciated.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
love the front facing camera mounted from the mirror - I've ordered the same bracket for the same camera - looking for advice on how to route the camera wire from the front mirror to the VBox unit?

any thoughts or photos would be appreciated.
I ran the cable up to the headliner and tucked it between the headliner and windshield. There is plenty of gap to easily tuck the cable into the headliner. I then ran it down the a-pillar, again, tucking it under the trim. The trick is when you get to the a-pillar to dash; it will tuck under but you need to use a plastic trim tool with a little bit of force to get it under the a-pillar trim. Once complete it is 100% hidden and undetectable. From the a-pillar I then ran it under the side access cover easily and then up under the dash. Personally, I have my HD-2 loosely mounted in the glove box using the 12v cigarette lighter plug for power.

Originally I was running the GPS antenna provided with the HD-2, running that guy up to the front center of the dash. I had it secured to the dash next to the LED pod front center using double-sided 3M clear tape. Since I removed my radio, I used a FARKA to coax adapter to utilize the integral GPS antenna in the car. It actually locks on to satellites faster and the install is cleaner IMO.

If you have any issues/questions just shoot me a PM. I am here to help; that's the point of this forum!

- Chris.
The following users liked this post:
Anu2g (04-21-2024)
Old 05-27-2018, 01:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Very nice install and trick mount, Chris!

ShakeNBake has the scene, send some dollars via PayPal to support his efforts.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-27-2018, 01:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

You're welcome!

HD2 is awesome. Here's a link of it running in my car recently at the Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX

- Chris
Excellent work!

You know, you can crop the interior camera to give you a much better view of you, in the car.

Quick Reply: Time for some mods to GT3