Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the Porsche Addiction Started...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:39 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

I had a car detailing business as a teen. Had about 15 clients with various cars incl Porsche’s. Loved them since then.

Several years ago my wife and I were in my Landxruiser driving down the freeway and she said ‘let’s pull into the Porsche dealership and look at the cars”. I quickly complied. I was drooling over a 9114s and she says to me that I would look great in it and I should buy it. I was wondering who she was and what did she do with my wife!! Anyway I couldn’t write the check fast enough. The deal was done in less than an hour and I had my first 911. Anyway a week later my wife says to me “ it isn’t fair that I got one and she didn’t and she really wanted a Cayenne”. So she had an agenda and totally whipped sawed me. Anyway She got her Cayenne of course and that started the addiction.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:17 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Great pics, and cool stories.

I grew up around muscle cars so Porsche was never on the radar. In fact, many looked at them snobbishly as “glorified Volkswagens.” In my early 20’s an acquaintance picks me up in a 911 SC. We only drove for 30 minutes or so, but that drive changed my mind about Porsche. It was just a high quality, great sounding, nimble little car. I told myself one day i was going to get one.

Fast forward to 2015. Putting kids through college, supporting Mom, etc. and the Porsche goal sort of faded away over the years. Until we went to Chicago with our daughter after graduation. She is meeting a guy she knows from school, and he wants to take her to lunch. I was inside when he picked her up, but i get i text from her while they are at lunch. Dad, this car is crazy fast. It has these strange door handles. I was like hmm...what kind of car is it? I think it is a Porsche. I was not too happy he was driving fast, but she told me he drove professionally. Still a bit nervous. About 2 hours later they pull up in a white 997 RS 4.0. He drops her off then pulls up to the light. Even idling it sounded great. Tall buildings on both sides. Chicago. Light turns green. He jumps on it. The sound of that flat six bouncing off those buildings. Unbelievable.

I bought my GT3 six months later.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Mine started when I was a teenager, albeit from the sidelines.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:58 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Grew up watching highlights of the endurance races from Europe and North America featuring the dominant 962 and the the Rothmans Turbo Cup on TV here in Canada.
I read all the car magazines. Had brochures etc. Knew I wanted a Porsche.
As a kid, I had the same intro to Porsche as Crazy Canuck mentions^^^^. I was also the kid that once I got my license, I would drive to all the local dealers and press my face against the window. Two events sealed the deal for my passion for Porsche. One was when a friend of my Dad let me drive his new 928. He must have been crazy because I was only 16. The other event was when I finally got the nerve to enter one of the aforementioned dealers, the owner of it offered me a ride in a 911 Turbo.

I'll never forget those events and will be forever grateful to the two gentlemen for making them happen.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Great stories, love the pics!

I was always a gearhead. Early college I chopped up a chassis from a station wagon, put in a small block Chevy with racing cams and other doodads, wrapped the whole thing with chicken wire for a body, and almost killed myself and my brother in it. LOL.

Of all the cars to choose from, I chose a 996 C4S, bought it new in 2002. It was the best performing new NA 911 available in the US at that time. This car cemented my addiction to Porsche. The GT3 became available stateside a few years later, and finally got my second dream car, the 991.2 GT3, this year. Love the GT3, but my first love will always be that C4S.

Last edited by Palting; 04-30-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:52 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Easy one.
In June 1982, I have seen the arrival of the 24 hours of Le Mans on TV:
Old 04-30-2018, 08:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

I grew up around muscle cars so Porsche was never on the radar. In fact, many looked at them snobbishly as “glorified Volkswagens.” In my early 20’s an acquaintance picks me up in a 911 SC. We only drove for 30 minutes or so, but that drive changed my mind about Porsche. It was just a high quality, great sounding, nimble little car. I told myself one day i was going to get one.

Fast forward to 2015. Putting kids through college, supporting Mom, etc. and the Porsche goal sort of faded away over the years. Until we went to Chicago with our daughter after graduation. She is meeting a guy she knows from school, and he wants to take her to lunch. I was inside when he picked her up, but i get i text from her while they are at lunch. Dad, this car is crazy fast. It has these strange door handles. I was like hmm...what kind of car is it? I think it is a Porsche. I was not too happy he was driving fast, but she told me he drove professionally. Still a bit nervous. About 2 hours later they pull up in a white 997 RS 4.0. He drops her off then pulls up to the light. Even idling it sounded great. Tall buildings on both sides. Chicago. Light turns green. He jumps on it. The sound of that flat six bouncing off those buildings. Unbelievable.

Basically you're admitting to a man crush on your daughters boyfriend
Old 04-30-2018, 08:44 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Reading this thread made me realize what a slow learner I am. A family friend was a huge private Porsche racer in the 70's and 80's. While I was professing my love for mid-year Corvettes he'd say "Just get a Porsche and you'll never go back to Corvette". Yeah, yeah... what does he know?

40 years and maybe 20 Corvettes later I saw his race cars on display at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. I should have just listened to him. If he were alive today I'd love to take him for a ride in my GT3 and tell him that.
​​
Old 04-30-2018, 09:34 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I have always been a fan of Porsches. My first car in high school was a 1983 Porsche 944. This car was bought by my dad for my mom in 1983 from the Brumos Porsche dealer in Atlanta. 9 years later it had about 30K miles on it and they felt it was a perfect car for me. It was funny because all my friends thought I was driving an expensive sports car but their Honda Acords and Chevy trucks were worth more than the 944 was at the time. I loved that car. 138 HP of pure 4-cylinder fun as not fast but it was a lot of fun to drive. At the time my dad had an 89 911 Slantnose (wish he still had it) that I would get to drive occasionally and the bug was set hard. Even though I raced BMWs for years I always had a soft spot for Porsches.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Basically you're admitting to a man crush on your daughters boyfriend
I gave her my blessings to marry him that day. lol
Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

No Hitler video?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I would have demanded a test drive before doing such a thing...LOL
Old 05-01-2018, 03:32 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Cooper I assume?

Quick Reply: How the Porsche Addiction Started...