Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating 2RS WP look on 3RS WP - Bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Creating 2RS WP look on 3RS WP - Bad idea?

What do you all think about getting vinyl wrap (in a shape of center hood stripe) and attaching it to CF roof and hood of 3RS WP, making a 2RS WP look.

I am a person who thinks that RS cars need bright and fun colors but grossly black CF hood and roof of 3RS WP really ruins the look.

Will the installers be able to match original paint with vinyl strip? In terms of hood decal, one can buy it at suncoast for $65
Old 04-27-2018, 09:35 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Why would it be a bad idea?

The days of graphics being model specific are long gone ... how many people are putting 911R type graphics on their touring or C2S because they like the look? Folks even do that look on winged GT3s. Personal customization, especially within established Porsche design language as what you are proposing, is part of the fun of ownership. I don't think anyone would see it as you trying to pretend it's a different model car, and if some did you wouldn't want to care about their opinion anyway.

Give a try ... it would certainly achieve what you want and it's easily reversible if you don't love it.

The other option if you really want to retain as much of the color as possible while having WP would be to completely wrap the hood and roof in the car's color.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:44 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soulsea
Why would it be a bad idea?

The days of graphics being model specific are long gone ... how many people are putting 911R type graphics on their touring or C2S because they like the look? Folks even do that look on winged GT3s. Personal customization, especially within established Porsche design language as what you are proposing, is part of the fun of ownership. I don't think anyone would see it as you trying to pretend it's a different model car, and if some did you wouldn't want to care about their opinion anyway.

Give a try ... it would certainly achieve what you want and it's easily reversible if you don't love it.

The other option if you really want to retain as much of the color as possible while having WP would be to completely wrap the hood and roof in the car's color.
What worries me the most is the NACA duct area where the installer has to cut out the square area perfect. What's the chance that he slips and leaves a big scratch to clear coat?

Old 04-27-2018, 10:04 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ascend
What worries me the most is the NACA duct area where the installer has to cut out the square area perfect. What's the chance that he slips and leaves a big scratch to clear coat?
That is a valid concern ... as has often been noted, whether it's vinyl wrap or ppf, the most important variable is the installer.

But if you find an experienced and reputable one that knows what they're doing it shouldn't be an issue.

Obviously your concern is only apt if wrapping the whole hood ... if you only do the center stripe they won't have to go near the ducts.

I would do all of this on top of ppf anyway ... it's the correct sequence to apply vinyl and it will give a little extra razor blade insurance.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:27 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

That is a valid concern ... as has often been noted, whether it's vinyl wrap or ppf, the most important variable is the installer.

But if you find an experienced and reputable one that knows what they're doing it shouldn't be an issue.

Obviously your concern is only apt if wrapping the whole hood ... if you only do the center stripe they won't have to go near the ducts.

I would do all of this on top of ppf anyway ... it's the correct sequence to apply vinyl and it will give a little extra razor blade insurance.
Yup.

This would have not happened if Porsche actually took time to make WP slightly decent. This is the type of stuff that makes people spend more $ for CXX. God.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:01 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ascend
Yup.

This would have not happened if Porsche actually took time to make WP slightly decent. This is the type of stuff that makes people spend more $ for CXX. God.
Actually a lot of this stuff isn't even available through CXX ... I wanted to have my non WP 2RS hood painted to match my PTS color to delete the black hood and it's not available.

I'm hoping that I can have vinyl wrap made in a PTS color ... if anyone knows if it is possible I would love to know how.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:16 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is mandatory to put the center stripe on the WP 3RS. It looks ridiculous with black hood and roof. Bummer the naca ducts aren’t carbon.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:25 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I want to spec the WP but the black hood looks awful. I asked about CXX hood painting (the entire hood body colored) and haven’t heard back in 2 weeks.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:37 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Actually a lot of this stuff isn't even available through CXX ... I wanted to have my non WP 2RS hood painted to match my PTS color to delete the black hood and it's not available.

I'm hoping that I can have vinyl wrap made in a PTS color ... if anyone knows if it is possible I would love to know how.
Only question is... will Vinyl match the paint color?

Another question. If you apply Vinyl, I will get rock chips and such. Would it look ugly with light color vinyl film.

Originally Posted by CHADW
I think it is mandatory to put the center stripe on the WP 3RS. It looks ridiculous with black hood and roof. Bummer the naca ducts aren’t carbon.
Isn't NACA not CF on 2RS as well?

Originally Posted by n3rd
I want to spec the WP but the black hood looks awful. I asked about CXX hood painting (the entire hood body colored) and haven’t heard back in 2 weeks.

Although I tried very hard to convince myself that it doesn't look too bad, it looks so fugly I just can't stand it.

Either I have to go with black - which I don't like in general.

or go with GT silver - but no way jose I'm paying 4k for a paint job that was free on .1 RS.

or go with white - but way too many .1 RS white cars.

I'm thinking RY or GR and 2RS style decal on hood and roof. Hopefully I will look decent?
Old 04-28-2018, 06:09 AM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the right set of decals, I think it would look great (custom made or from suncoast). These cars cost so much and should be what you want them to be, go with your gut. Chances are it'll be right, but on the off chance it's wrong, you can just peel it off and start over.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:25 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

I’m going to do this as well; all that CF is just too much. Stylistically they nailed it on the GT2 WP, so why not. I’ve even ordered mine without the large side decals on doors so I can put on the tiny GT3 RS decals behind the front wheels to be consistent. Not trying to hide my inferior car. Isn’t imitation flattering?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:13 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

If they can match the paint perfectly, why not?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just shows how tastes differ - I much prefer the look of the 3RS WP to the 2RS.
My 2RS is white. i tried to get the solid hood, with WP, but couldn't.
So, Porsche GB is painting my hood, roof, plastic bits and also livery, pre-delivery. It went straight there instead of to my dealer.
Think a partial wrap would be tough to match to paint.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Thumbs down, imo, to add graphics from another car. But it's totally personal preference.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:56 AM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

at first I liked the solid carbon hood but after looking at a million pictures I do think the stripe does look better on the 2RS WP, so why not But do not change to a "GT2RS" sticker, in that case you should kick your own ***...

Here's some badging gone wrong...