Sponsored by:

Just another Manual vs PDK thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 PM
heaven_inc
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just another Manual vs PDK thread

Not trying to start a flame war or get banned here lol... I was recently graced with what seems to be one of the last GT3 allocations for end of the year delivery. I have all the specs down except for the damn gear box. And its driving me craaazy!

I don't want to hear opinions or advice, I want to hear actual owners of both Manual and PDK cars share whether they are happy with their choice and wonder if anyone may have any regrets choosing one over another?

P.S. Already have 2 manual cars in the garage, a 1986 Carrera 3.2 (staying forever) & a manual M4 (staying for now but maybe going at some point)...
Old 04-26-2018, 11:19 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I'll chime in from the PDK perspective but also say this topic has been fully beaten to death since the MT was announced with the .2 GT3 last year in this subforum

Love the PDK box in my .2 GT3, it's as good as advertised. It might not be the more enjoyable transmission choice if you can/like to drive stick, but the PDK does it's job for me so well that I can focus on enjoying other aspects of the car. The grip with the tires & steering, the power/engine etc... Really enjoy and appreciate how if I am stuck in traffic I can leave it in drive/auto mode, and when I am in the canyons or on a fun weekend drive I can put the PDK in manual mode and enjoy shifting between 2nd/3rd/4th etc. I actually also like having one less input with the car to worry about so that I can focus on the road, staying safe with the car, dealing with the PCM/navigation/music if needed since I am by no means the best MT driver. My GT3 will be driven as much as possible.

Since you are on the fence over transmission, what your intended use for the car is could sway your transmission choice. Some here are diehard MT no matter what, some are diehard PDK no matter what, so their choices have already been made. For a 2nd/3rd car, or weekend car maybe MT the better choice to enjoy on the weekends. For a daily driver, car that will get driven often and into town rather than just offroads/canyons/track, PDK might be better. For a strict track machine, some still prefer the MT but for me hands down if it's a track car I want PDK.

MT owners will say it's more fun/engaging, more of a driver's car, what the car should come with based on 996/997 GT3s, and a very rewarding transmission choice in an era where most things are getting automated/self-driving/reduce driver input as much as possible (which is most likely very very true).

I am not mentioning how MT might give you better resale down the road (or am I) because I don't like shifting the focus from how this car should be enjoyed and driven to how to spec the car to deliver the smallest loss/biggest gain possible on resale... takes away from an amazing car IMO!

BTW congrats on the allocation
Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

There will always be pdk cars to buy. Enjoy NA manuals while you can. If you really want a pdk then try to get an RS allocation. What makes the .2 GT3 special to me is the manual.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:32 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

The manual is really that good and is probably the last time you'll be able to get one in a GT car. It's as good as it gets.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:56 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

my experience is with 991 gt3 PDK to my new 991.2 gt3 manual.
I ordered identical car with the 991.2 manual being the only difference.
The pdk was a very appropriate match to the gt3 engine, great for a thrashing with the security that PDK would look after the engine. No worries. On track it is a GOOD choice in the fact it allows more focus on hitting the apex. On road, I loved the car but I did get bored of experience being too easy.

Fast forward to the 991.2 manual. The manual is "yes" more involving. But the motor and manual trans combination is spectacular. My comments are, " I know it's the same car, but, WAY BETTER.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:03 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Love the PDK. No regrets.
The following users liked this post:
Captain_ (02-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:07 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

If you already have two manuals in the garage, I'd get the PDK for a different driving experience.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:45 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I think OP already answered his own question. " Already have 2 manual cars in the garage, a 1986 Carrera 3.2 (staying forever) & a manual M4".
Perhaps he is implying he may want to give PDK a try ? Regardless, both are awesome. Congrats again on the build and allocation. Good luck.
Jack
Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 AM
Howydo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Love my PDK! I find it very fun to drive when in manual mode and the sound and speed of the gears changing are unmatched. If you already have other Manual cars then get the PDK! I’m tired of the it’s likely the last of the NA manuals argument. Ok well it may be the last of the NA PDKs too! I believe that if the 992 is a hybrid or turbo they will still offer a manual in it . Over half the people specked their GT3 as manual. So the bigger possibility in my mind is the end of NA engines. You can’t lose either way! And remember they don’t charge extra for the manual even though the PDK is a far more expensive gearbox. How nice of Porsche!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:58 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

To be honest, this is a tough choice for anyone to make. Particularly for someone else. Either one is an excellent choice. I would not listen to the "last one of this" argument, because that really isn't a reason, but more of a justification. I happen to have both a manual and a PDK, but not in the same car.

I had a 2002 996 C4S, and currently a Boxster S, both manuals. There is something to be said about throwing that gear shift lever around, deciding to shift up or down as you feel like it, the feeling of accomplishment as you master the heel and toe. On the street or on the track, the manual does add another layer of enjoyment while driving the car. But it can also be a nuisance. In stop and go traffic, or or just can't shift fast enough to keep the car in perfect rpm range to attack a series of turns and elevations on the track so you have to compromise and stay in a compromise gear. But you know this already since you have two manual cars.

From my experience above, I ordered and got my GT3 with the PDK. Just got over 2,000 street miles and will be taking it to the track next month. It is an amazing transmission, absolutely thrilling. Both engine and transmission just pop into the appropriate gear for whatever you want to do quicker than you can snap your fingers. And there is just something exhilarating about that sound, that series of "POPS' that comes with each instantaneous up shift or downshifts. You want a quick getaway? Just keep your foot on the floor and the car will seamlessly shift at full throttle. You want full control of shifting? Just flick that gear lever to the left, and you have clutch-less manual shifting. I have absolutely no regrets, street or track, absolutely glad I got the PDK.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:09 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by heaven_inc
Not trying to start a flame war or get banned here lol... I was recently graced with what seems to be one of the last GT3 allocations for end of the year delivery. I have all the specs down except for the damn gear box. And its driving me craaazy!

I don't want to hear opinions or advice, I want to hear actual owners of both Manual and PDK cars share whether they are happy with their choice and wonder if anyone may have any regrets choosing one over another?

P.S. Already have 2 manual cars in the garage, a 1986 Carrera 3.2 (staying forever) & a manual M4 (staying for now but maybe going at some point)...
intended use?
road driving - man.... track car - pdk
i have both - regrets? none
Old 04-27-2018, 02:18 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a manual 991.2 GT3 and other paddle shift cars. IMO it's no contest, the manual is much more fun to drive.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:43 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I was in a similar boat. I have two very comparable manual cars in my garage:

1982 911SC
2012 Boss 302

i was originally looking for a manual 991.2 GT3 but got into a PDK due to availability and the right deal. This is my 3rd PDK car, but let me be clear: the PDK in the GT3 is entirely different than the “normal” 911’s. It engages and behaves like a manual with no clutch pedal. Personally I love both transmissions for different reasons although I haven’t driven the manual GT3. The PDK is plenty involving and let’s you explore the limits of the powerband and rev range without fear of miss shift or overrev. I’ve money shifted cars before and let me tell you it’s not fun or cheap. I’m no pro driver but I’m also not exactly inexperienced as I’ve been in a variety of cars on various tracks around the country.

I wouldn’t turn down either transmission, but if you want a different experience than what’s in the garage the PDK wouldn’t be bad. 6 MT would make the car more of a weekend car I think. Where do you live and how will you drive should dictate the decision I think.

If you go PDK you won’t be missing out. As you are fully aware, driving an old 915 or G50 manual is as engaging as it gets and takes skill and finesse that modern gear boxes just don’t require. If you had a boring set of other cars I’d think the 6 MT would be obvious, but in this case I think either choice is good as it was for me.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:35 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Just remember the 911R if you are thinking of MT.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:23 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by heaven_inc

)...
I have manual. I am happy. I have no regret. Hopefully this is not misconstrued as an opinion nor advice.

Quick Reply: Just another Manual vs PDK thread