Sponsored by:

Just another Manual vs PDK thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:23 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
What seams silly-- if the car has the ability to control throttle position and clutch engagement by the push of a button, then it also has the electronic ability to thwart a money shift. It could simply not release the clutch and start making a beeping sound to tell the genius what just happened.
I don't think you understand what the sport button does. Has nothing to do with the clutch. The car does not control the clutch for you.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:28 PM
heaven_inc
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pr3z
Manual = Street Driven / Light Track Use
PDK = Dedicated Track Car

End of argument.
Not even to close to the beginning of the argument. Who said I can’t enjoy the PDK on the street? Who said I can’t enjoy a manual on track?
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (02-12-2021)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:17 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by heaven_inc

Not even to close to the beginning of the argument. Who said I can’t enjoy the PDK on the street? Who said I can’t enjoy a manual on track?
Exactly

Different strokes for different folks, we are all different and thankfully Porsche gave us the choice with the .2. Make your decision based on what your gut tells you, what you feel will make the car more fun and enjoyable to your eyes. For this kind of money it better be! Just do not spec the car for what will be ideal for resale/value.... spec it the way you want
Old 05-11-2018, 06:27 PM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
There will always be pdk cars to buy. Enjoy NA manuals while you can. If you really want a pdk then try to get an RS allocation. What makes the .2 GT3 special to me is the manual.
this is why I chose manual
Old 05-11-2018, 07:04 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

f I were going to get a PDK I'd opt for an RS. Maybe even a .1 RS.
I chose manual for my .2 GT3 because I had a PDK GTS that I found a tad bit boring. Just didn't feel engaged enough, especially for a car I drive one a week at most

Totally agree I came from a GTS as well the GT three is much more engaging with the manual. Even for track driving I was concerned about the money shift, but the transmission is so straightforward that if you're a relatively good driver that shouldn't be a problem.Especially if you are used to driving a manual on a race track. If you're not used to driving at a race track with a manual I think it could be a perilous experience. You're mostly going to be between third fourth and fifth anyway so if you bugger the downshift from fifth you're not likely to hit second you'll hit fourth or sixth, from fourth gear it would be hard to hit anything but third or fifth.
I was originally concerned with that but I don't think it should be a big issue. Unless you go brain-dead into a turn and need to scramble and make the wrong decision.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:40 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

There always will be manual cars to buy Porsche proved that......Values of cars with either gearbox will level out over the long term - plus 20 years with Porsche make....
Old 05-12-2018, 11:57 AM
Houston GT3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^yes but listening to the new gt3r shoot thru the gears is almost enough to get me off manual.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:47 PM
heaven_inc
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my original post I was wondering whether there were any owners that may be having second thoughts about their decision. It doesn't seem we have any... Everyone's happy with their choice and honestly it doesn't seem there is bad choice here.

Me, I'm probably going to go with the PDK... I've never had a PDK (or any dual clutch gearbox) and I just can't wait to bang through the gears with my fingertips to the sweet sound of that engine. Fastest 0-60 with perfect launches every time doesn't hurt either. Something about "most advanced engine" and "most advanced gearbox" speak "they're made for each other" to me and will be a perfect match. I just can't imagine getting bored in a GT3...ever! There's a lot more to driving than just shifting gears, I'm sure I'll have plenty to master like the racing line, braking, weight transfer...etc

As for the "get the RS if you're going for PDK" argument, RS is just too "boy racer" for me. It has a great look for the track but I think its too much for the street/daily. That wing looks aftermarket for the "uninitiated" and even the font of the emblem and decals look childish to me. The "gimmicky" door pulls will probably be soiled after a few months of daily use and while I've never driven an RS, from what I hear its too stiff to daily drive around town.

I'm after an ultimate daily and I think I'll find it in a PDK GT3.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

In my original post I was wondering whether there were any owners that may be having second thoughts about their decision. It doesn't seem we have any... Everyone's happy with their choice and honestly it doesn't seem there is bad choice here.

Me, I'm probably going to go with the PDK... I've never had a PDK (or any dual clutch gearbox) and I just can't wait to bang through the gears with my fingertips to the sweet sound of that engine. Fastest 0-60 with perfect launches every time doesn't hurt either. Something about "most advanced engine" and "most advanced gearbox" speak "they're made for each other" to me and will be a perfect match. I just can't imagine getting bored in a GT3...ever! There's a lot more to driving than just shifting gears, I'm sure I'll have plenty to master like the racing line, braking, weight transfer...etc

As for the "get the RS if you're going for PDK" argument, RS is just too "boy racer" for me. It has a great look for the track but I think its too much for the street/daily. That wing looks aftermarket for the "uninitiated" and even the font of the emblem and decals look childish to me. The "gimmicky" door pulls will probably be soiled after a few months of daily use and while I've never driven an RS, from what I hear its too stiff to daily drive around town.

I'm after an ultimate daily and I think I'll find it in a PDK GT3.
It is all personal preference. The RS appeals to a lot of people, but not all, just like the PDK vs Manual, PCCB vs Iron, LWB vs Sofas, etc. Some people want to say that any of these choices are “the right choices” but ultimately your car, your money, your spec. The great thing about Porsche is they give you the ability to get the car the way you want it.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:54 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

It is all personal preference. The RS appeals to a lot of people, but not all, just like the PDK vs Manual, PCCB vs Iron, LWB vs Sofas, etc. Some people want to say that any of these choices are “the right choices” but ultimately your car, your money, your spec. The great thing about Porsche is they give you the ability to get the car the way you want it.
^ this.....now drop the mic
Old 09-17-2018, 05:14 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Same. I've got a GT4 with one of the sweetest manuals ever made to scratch that itch, but that GT3 motor deserves a PDK.

Also...I just snagged this:

Old 02-12-2021, 02:50 PM
myltz400
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Disregard wrong thread!

Last edited by myltz400; 02-12-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:03 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 623 Likes on 346 Posts

BTW for those comparing their PDK in a 991 non-GT to something like the PDK-S in the .2 GT3RS, it's like day and night.
The PDK-S sounds and behaves like a sequential gearbox... it's amazing, especially with the every spaced gear ratios...
Old 02-12-2021, 05:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston GT3
Am I the only guy who worries about the money shift on the track? Manuel more fun, but the opportunity to erase that worry would make that decision more difficult for me.
This car has well defined gates and it still shifts well under load (unlike 997 GT3). I think it would require a big lapse of concentration to do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
Porsche911GTS'16 (02-13-2021), R35driver (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 07:00 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
There always will be manual cars to buy Porsche proved that......Values of cars with either gearbox will level out over the long term - plus 20 years with Porsche make....
except that they actually tried to rid GT cars of the manual when the 991.1 came out. You can't get a GT2 or GT3rs in manual anymore like you could with the 997 generation.

the world is changing. this will probably be the last generation of manual m3 (and you can only have it in the base spec). the C63 has now lost its v8 in favor of a 4 cylinder hybrid.

its only a matter of time before porsche cut the manual again from the GT lineup. Manual enthusiasts are a dying breed.

Quick Reply: Just another Manual vs PDK thread