Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another Manual vs PDK thread

Old 04-27-2018, 02:18 PM
heaven_inc
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OKGT3
I have the manual and have around 1,500 miles clocked. I will say that this transmission is a little less engaging than older manuals... with rev match and an assisted clutch it damn near drives itself. I really enjoy it and the gearbox is amazing, but seeing all the videos of the PDK and it's ease of use does create intrigue. (Also I've never driven a PDK GT car).

My thinking was, if I only get the chance for one GT car allocation... I want a manual, but if I get the chance for a 992 or RS down the road I will be pumped for the PDK.
This is literally my thinking. I've also never driven a PDK GT car and all the videos of instantaneous shifts and playing sweet musical symphonies with the engine by flicking your fingertips look sooo damn good! I'm VERY tempted to play this new musical instrument.

But on the other hand... PDK isn't going anywhere, from a long term perspective I'll probably have plenty of opportunities to own DCT cars in the future, Porsche or not... Plus I already know I love manual cars, I'm good at it and this is undoubtedly the best manual in the world.

It does sound like a coin toss at this point lol. One thing for sure, if I do end up getting the manual, it'll surely be the last manual car I ever buy new.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

I have the manual and have around 1,500 miles clocked. I will say that this transmission is a little less engaging than older manuals... with rev match and an assisted clutch it damn near drives itself.
You know that you don't need to turn that stuff on, right? By default, it's not enabled. This isn't like putting a PDK in manual mode and pretending it's a manual. This is a proper manual with some helpful features that you can choose to engage if you like.

Originally Posted by heaven_inc
But on the other hand... PDK isn't going anywhere, from a long term perspective I'll probably have plenty of opportunities to own DCT cars in the future, Porsche or not...
I'd normally be with you 100% on this, but with things going electric I'm not so sure anymore.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I'd normally be with you 100% on this, but with things going electric I'm not so sure anymore.
Interesting point. Maybe not a good time to buy stock in a transmission company. Most electrics have no gearbox (and some have their motors right on the wheel hubs)...
The following users liked this post:
Captain_ (02-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:04 PM
OKGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
You know that you don't need to turn that stuff on, right? By default, it's not enabled. This isn't like putting a PDK in manual mode and pretending it's a manual. This is a proper manual with some helpful features that you can choose to engage if you like.

100% agree. It's a joy in all modes. It's just mind boggling what it can do on it's own with the features turned on.

I guess I also failed to mention that the flat-foot upshifts is a sensation that I don't think I've ever had in ANY car. It's nuts.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

100% agree. It's a joy in all modes. It's just mind boggling what it can do on it's own with the features turned on.

I guess I also failed to mention that the flat-foot upshifts is a sensation that I don't think I've ever had in ANY car. It's nuts.
Yeah. It's weird. With Sport mode on, there's times when I'm not entirely sure anymore what I'm supposed to be doing with the pedal.
The following users liked this post:
Juggy (08-04-2020)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:50 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

I posted this video in another thread, but here you go. My manual .2GT3 at the track. I hit 8500+ RPM between each shift (even bounced off redline occasionally), downshifted like a pro because of the auto-rev match, and never fell below 4500rpms during my hot laps.

If you like manual transmissions at all, this is the one to get.

(Ignore the data in the video it didn't sync properly)

Old 04-27-2018, 05:56 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I were going to get a PDK I'd opt for an RS. Maybe even a .1 RS.
I chose manual for my .2 GT3 because I had a PDK GTS that I found a tad bit boring. Just didn't feel engaged enough, especially for a car I drive one a week at most.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:56 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not buy the manual, try it out for a while to see how YOU like it. It won't matter how many folks pipe up with an opinion to your post, ONLY YOU will know if the experience is what YOU'RE after. Who really cares what the rest of us think? The reason I would recommend purchasing the manual first instead of the other way around, is that if it's not for you, it should be easy to sell and you'll likely not lose a penny (unless you were nailed with a bid ADM). Then you can just push the money into a PDK, or get in line for the RS.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had manual cars my whole life including a 997.1 GT3RS - thoroughly enjoyed them all and would love a 991.2 GT3 manual
Now have a 991.1 GT3.
I drive it in manual mode 100% of the time; using the shifter around town (poor man's manual) and the paddles on track - best of both worlds? Maybe/maybe not...
Not trying to be biased, but..... I think it's truly amazing!

991.2 GT3 in PDK no brainer...
You could always trade it for a manual if you're bored....
Old 04-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 372 Likes on 190 Posts

When i was speccing my GT3 last summer i was back and forth between manual and PDK like a yo yo, as i love both equally...I finally chose PDK but only because time had run out and i had to make a choice.!.
No regrets whatsoever as when i'm hooning on some twisty country roads, i slip the shifter across to manual and paddle my way up and down the box for the sheer hell of it..In that scenario i'm positive i would not have more fun in a manual..
If i had gone Manual i'm pretty confident i would have felt exactly the same way, but for different reasons..
Either way both boxes are the best out there and no right or wrong choice, just down to what mood you're in when you are forced to tick only one box..
Old 04-27-2018, 11:21 PM
Houston GT3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I the only guy who worries about the money shift on the track? Manuel more fun, but the opportunity to erase that worry would make that decision more difficult for me.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,266 Posts

i bought both
your question has no real answers
Old 04-28-2018, 08:37 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston GT3
Am I the only guy who worries about the money shift on the track? Manuel more fun, but the opportunity to erase that worry would make that decision more difficult for me.
What seams silly-- if the car has the ability to control throttle position and clutch engagement by the push of a button, then it also has the electronic ability to thwart a money shift. It could simply not release the clutch and start making a beeping sound to tell the genius what just happened.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:10 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
What seams silly-- if the car has the ability to control throttle position and clutch engagement by the push of a button, then it also has the electronic ability to thwart a money shift. It could simply not release the clutch and start making a beeping sound to tell the genius what just happened.
Money shift usually happens on the down shift. In a manual there is no protection against over revs on a downshift. Manuals don't have electronic ability to control the clutch. The throttle is capable to be electronically manipulated since 996 Gen2.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:10 AM
Pr3z
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 14 Posts

Manual = Street Driven / Light Track Use
PDK = Dedicated Track Car

End of argument.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just another Manual vs PDK thread