Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:50 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 Cup Car Side Exhaust Bypass Vs Aftermarket Center Muffler

Side Bypass Left and OEM Right

Hi All,

I am considering my options as as far as making my incoming RS and Touring sing.

My Dealer said any mods would invalidate the warranty, but my friend said using cup car parts like the side exhaust bypass wouldn’t have an impact as it’s a Porsche part.

Any advice and thoughts on what is a better option for Sound, weight, etc?

If the side deletes are the way to go then I will have a chat with my dealer.

Last edited by BrntRubber; 04-25-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:18 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I am a fan of side muffler delete ............you loose some weight and take away some heat on the rear tires also and I think the sound is great and the delete pipes are not to expensive ............If you want to spend the big dollars Dundon Motorsport long tube street headers ,,,,,you get all weight and heat savings ,,,plus extra power and a even better sound ...

http://www.dundonmotorsports.com/por...catted-headers
Old 04-25-2018, 06:22 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Wasn't this discussed in a 30 some page thread already?

Porsche motorsports parts and street parts are different in ways. Ie the cats are completely different in a Cup than in a street GT3/RS car.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raven 666
I am a fan of side muffler delete ............you loose some weight and take away some heat on the rear tires also and I think the sound is great and the delete pipes are not to expensive ............If you want to spend the big dollars Dundon Motorsport long tube street headers ,,,,,you get all weight and heat savings ,,,plus extra power and a even better sound ...

http://www.dundonmotorsports.com/por...catted-headers
I have read the entire exhaust thread but am looking to try and stick with Porsche parts if i can for warranty reasons.

Can you expand on how the sound is improved by just side bypass?

The cost for Cup Car side bypass pipes including install is almost the same as the cost to purchase an aftermarket muffler delete not including install.
Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Wasn't this discussed in a 30 some page thread already?

Porsche motorsports parts and street parts are different in ways. Ie the cats are completely different in a Cup than in a street GT3/RS car.
The exhaust thread was geared towards aftermarket options as many people can’t have access to cup car parts.

When you say the parts are different, is that problematic for a street car? I don’t want check engine lights or failed emissions testing, etc.

Thanks guys!
I am also considering cup car side bypass pipes with cup car centre muffler, but am worried this might be too loud for my touring.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:41 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

I have read the entire exhaust thread but am looking to try and stick with Porsche parts fin i can for warranty reasons.

The exhaust thread was geared towards aftermarket options as many people can’t have access to cup car parts.

When you say the parts are different, is that problematic for a street car? I don’t want check engine lights etc.

I am also considering cup car side bypass pipes with centre muffler, but am worried this might be too loud for my touring.
Cant confirm what affect it will have on the engine, but the Cup exhaust and headers w/cats (991 generation) only have one pre-cat O2 sensor so you will have a CEL as the street car uses a pre-cat/post-cat O2 sensor. IIRC the Cup headers have a different cell cat on the headers than the street cars do as there is not an emissions test that needs to be passed, but the entire system is setup for an entirely different use than the street car is. So practicality is out the window and I can say side bypass pipes drone, and at wide open throttle they are loud enough to **** people off.

See the diagram for the 991 Cup parts.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:48 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Cant confirm what affect it will have on the engine, but the Cup exhaust and headers w/cats (991 generation) only have one pre-cat O2 sensor so you will have a CEL as the street car uses a pre-cat/post-cat O2 sensor. IIRC the Cup headers have a different cell cat on the headers than the street cars do as there is not an emissions test that needs to be passed, but the entire system is setup for an entirely different use than the street car is. So practicality is out the window and I can say side bypass pipes drone, and at wide open throttle they are loud enough to **** people off.

See the diagram for the 991 Cup parts.

Very helpful! Thank you!

Headers and different cats are out.
Is the drone mild or quite brutal. If it will drive me nuts on the freeway then it’s a no go.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:24 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The center muffler change outs, regardless of who makes them, leaves the ECU sensitive aspects of the system intact, as well as the use of the sport exhaust button. As such it is the least "invasive" method of improving sound, if not performance, over the stock system.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

/\ /\ /\ Precisely!

There are no warranty issues with any centre muffler by-pass systems.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
/\ /\ /\ Precisely!

There are no warranty issues with any centre muffler by-pass systems.
Exactly and any dealer who says there are warranty issues should closely read the Magnuson-Moss Act. They will lose any arguments trying to attribute any failure to a center exhaust bypass.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:44 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
The center muffler change outs, regardless of who makes them, leaves the ECU sensitive aspects of the system intact, as well as the use of the sport exhaust button. As such it is the least "invasive" method of improving sound, if not performance, over the stock system.
Center muffler bypass does absolutely zero for performance. Just sound. It's not like the stock center section is overly restrictive or anything. So changing it out isn't going to improve flow in any meaningful way.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Center muffler bypass does absolutely zero for performance. Just sound. It's not like the stock center section is overly restrictive or anything. So changing it out isn't going to improve flow in any meaningful way.
With these NA engines, it's all about sound!
Old 04-25-2018, 01:24 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

If you get the valved side muffler delete it does not drone nor does it throw a CEL. Both o2 sensors are in the OE header. IMO it's a better option than a center delete as it sounds better and saves a lot of weight.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:11 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Sounds LOUD. You cannot then make it quiet.

I did this to all of my 997.2/991.1 RS's and love the noise.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:02 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rsierra
If you get the valved side muffler delete it does not drone nor does it throw a CEL. Both o2 sensors are in the OE header. IMO it's a better option than a center delete as it sounds better and saves a lot of weight.
We make both a center section and side muffler delete and the latter is definitely louder, neighbors will not be happy at all! The weight savings is nice but it won't make a lick of difference in a street car application. We have seen a loss of torque on some units as well so unless you want the loudest setup possible, the center section replacement is by far he choice for most. We sell 20 Center Sections for every side muffler delete.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 04-25-2018, 05:10 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

we have a used set of side bypass pipes in stock..

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Cup Car Side Exhaust Bypass Vs Aftermarket Center Muffler