Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Launch Control on 991.2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:47 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
I tested a 2014 991.1 GT3 and that car activates launch control regardless of TC/ESC ON or OFF position.

Somewhere in 2015 Porsche eliminated the LC feature if the nannies are off in the GT3, but the 2015 Turbo S still activates LC on any PSM mode. My RS is a 2016, so it does not have LC either with the nannies off.

Unfortunately, the car is faster on a road course with the nannies off, and for time trials, hill climbs, the launch matters. I even tested deactivating the ESC after the car launches, but the button doesn't work unless you are below certain g-forces in any direction, somewhere in the 0.6-0.7g and up in any direction and the car ignores deactivating the ESC.

On a set of grippy tires and with them up to temperatures, with ESC-OFF and no LC but still using the full brakes/full gas, the RS still holds the RPM at 6500, but the brake release does not use the LC logic, the 1st gear clutch just engages fully and the car takes off quick. However, with the stock MPSC2 the car would just smoke the rear tires and lose 0.2-0.3 seconds to 40mph consistently (dozens of tests with the VBox) and another 0.1 secs to 60mph..

Bummer that LC gets disabled by defeating the nannies.

For the 991.2 Turbo, Porsche has a soft LC and a normal LC (2 LC programs), the difference on 0-60mph is 0.2-0.3 secs between the 2 modes. Cobb Tuning offers this dual mode for the 991.1 Turbo PDK tune, but they haven't done a PDK tune for the 991.1 RS or GT3 just yet.

Thanks for the feedback..
just WOW!
I will check what's different with .2GT3 once I get back home (if no one does it before me).
I actually never check the message. Always thought that brake+throttle and holding the revs means LC activated.

That means that if with TC off doing the "procedure" is nothing more but a nice burn-out?

Quick Reply: Question on Launch Control on 991.2 GT3?