Sponsored by:

I smell a rat....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 11:30 AM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
The .2 GT3 still uses the 991.1 air system. Would have been nice if they upgraded it.
delete
Old 05-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

A quick follow up on my rodent-chewed FAL.

I found a business on eBay out of Great Britain who would sell me the exact DIN spec and size tubing that was used in my old FAL pump/accumulator assembly. A heat gun allowed me to form it into the same (more or less) shape as the original tubing and I reused the existing brass compression fittings to fit it to the FAL unit. I hooked the assembly up to a 12v source and the pump happily filled the accumulator....no leaks! The accumulator's release valve gave a satisfying whoosh when I released the built up pressure.

Total cost of the repair...parts and shipping....was under $10, only a thousand times less (literally) than what Porsche charged for the new part. Of course, labor would have exceeded my deductible anyway so I think it was still better to use insurance but it does illustrate the craziness of Porsche parts pricing.

Anyway, I now have a backup FAL unit to keep or sell. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

I would be still be looking for that Rat
Old 05-02-2018, 04:31 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

I found a business on eBay out of Great Britain who would sell me the exact DIN spec and size tubing that was used in my old FAL pump/accumulator assembly. A heat gun allowed me to form it into the same (more or less) shape as the original tubing and I reused the existing brass compression fittings to fit it to the FAL unit. I hooked the assembly up to a 12v source and the pump happily filled the accumulator....no leaks! The accumulator's release valve gave a satisfying whoosh when I released the built up pressure.

Total cost of the repair...parts and shipping....was under $10, only a thousand times less (literally) than what Porsche charged for the new part. Of course, labor would have exceeded my deductible anyway so I think it was still better to use insurance but it does illustrate the craziness of Porsche parts pricing.

Anyway, I now have a backup FAL unit to keep or sell. Funny how things work out sometimes.
It is also emblematic of the current swap part approach to auto repair.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm out east , but deer mice are the big problem here . When I ordered my .1 RS I bought a Carcoon to store it in - best investment I've ever made . Car stays completely free of dust / bugs / animals . As far as the lift goes I understand some people have to have it , but like every one of these type systems in any make of car they are all prone to problems and all break the bank to fix if you're taking it into a dealer to repair . Having spent 30 years in the Land Rover business I can't tell you how many air to coil spring conversions I did on Range Rovers . If lift was free on a Porsche I wouldn't take it .
Old 05-02-2018, 01:56 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I wish to hear more about the "carcoon" brand or model please!!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
Hi Dave ,
''Carcoon '' is a UK based company that has a representative arm in Florida from whom I ordered my unit . I bought the '' Veloce '' model in a size medium which is perfect for a 991 RS . The unit is basically a bubble with zip sides and the end that you drive the car in/out . It has two powered fans which exchange the air through filters so the car stays climate controlled and dust free . They have a metal pipe frame to keep the unit from collapsing when you have it unzipped . As an aside we had a pipe burst in the building where I store the car and the Carcoon was sitting in 3-4'' of water when I arrived in the morning and found the problem - the car was dry inside the Carcoon even sitting in a flooded building . I bought the model with an integral battery trickle charger and it is just so easy to use . There is a zipper slot to place the battery leads through and the unit itself ( maybe 3'' x 7'' ) I leave on a block of timber ( with that flood in mind ! ) so it's all nice and tidy . I had mine delivered several months before the car arrived and had it set up so I could just put the car in upon arrival . I'd have to go back and look in my checkbook , but I seem to recall it costing around $1500 . Best money I've ever spent . I hate cats and to be honest actually like deer mice so it's nice not to be constantly killing them .
If there is anything I've missed feel free to PM me .
Bryan
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

After reading the topic, I checked the German configurator.
It is clearly writing that for GT3 it is pneumatic and for GT3 RS it is hydraulic.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:18 PM
majedameeri
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

​​​​​​I happen to have the exact same problem, can I have some specifics regarding the tubing and where you got it from?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:29 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

I understand that P may not cover the actual connector/tube that was chewed... but I don't see how they can "force" you to pay for the whole system, just because of their own internal procedures. I would think that US warranty / consumer protection laws would somehow provide coverage for you... maybe a case where no one really pushed them hard enough?! Can't they just claim now that you have invalidated warranty by not following their procedures ? (unlikely... but if they don't, then again, why couldn't they do it themselves....).

Quick Reply: I smell a rat....