Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My potentially unpopular thoughts on the GT3 as track car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure OP knew he made good points. I don't see why anyone would disagree.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:41 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyone who merely "tracks" a cup car is a fool with too much money.

The GT3 is a damn good track car - as ortho points out, fun and reliable.

Bottom line, until you start running 7 and change minute 'ring times, you need to keep practicing... I still have never met the guy that will extract everything out a GT3 at a local track day. Well, except Potter in a 996 GT3. 991 RS guys, be humbled by 1:36.8 at laguna.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:27 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

It's your car. Do with it as you wish.

Why do you feel the need to justify what you do (or not do) with your car?
Old 04-17-2018, 03:04 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

The OP's made very good points which I can relate to. And kudos to the civilized arguments presented to the contrary!

"Track car" means different things to different people. Some say that's a stripped-out Miata or maybe E46. Others say that's a retired Cup or Radical. Reality is everything in between depending on budget.

I've come full circle myself--starting with a 997.1 RS, tracking a 997.2 RS very, very extensively, moving on to a Cup trainer and then full-fat racing. That's given me the perspective to see from the OP's POV. But I also know that without the street cars in our formative years, few of us would've progressed to piloting full-bore track machines with zero humor whatsoever.

The GT3 (streetcar) is a necessary gateway drug. The "Track Car" moniker is probably half marketing gimmick and half truth... the product *is* track-capable, definitely more so than other cars within a 75%–150% price range. Admittedly I'm also among those sillies who find it cool to drive a track-capable car for grocery duty

I'm quite thankful that Porsche made the GT3 product and marketed it the way they did. Without it, I don't think I'd be half as deep into the brand and into racing today. (Then again, I could've had a much healthier piggy bank in that alternate universe!!)
Old 04-17-2018, 03:14 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I agree with the OP's thoughts actually on the power curve of the 4.0 motor in my limited experience so far with the car, but suspension feels plenty stiff to me (that is on regular driving roads). Suspension was actually so stiff that on bad roads I think it led to the temporary shutdown of my entire PCM... So it seems like Porsche is making the car the ultimate dual-purpose machine for both street/track which will inevitably come with some compromise for both. And yet they still make the best one at that...

The aspect for me on why my GT3 won't make for a very good track car is for the simple fact it costs $200K when everything is said and done. One little dust up/mistake and that is going to be a very tough pill for me to swallow... maybe that's in line with an actual track car cost but as my main car/daily driver (C4 is leaving soon)...can't do it. If I was yearning for it I'd take a hard look at a Miata or older PDK Cayman, something like that to convert to how I like and track it *worry free.* Gets dented/love taps, spins out, etc I think I wouldn't be as stressed about it and these cars are for taking me away from my stresses Had a lot of fun taking my car to the Ring for one lap but was also sh!tting my pants wanting to make sure I finished with the car in one piece!

Last edited by sampelligrino; 04-17-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:08 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^w/t insurance 2k to play a day
not counting car cost
cup car need coins made of gold
and wheel barrel
Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Houston GT3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm told that the 997 RS is a very expensive to track which helps explain why it is basically a collector car now .
Old 04-17-2018, 10:45 AM
PierreTT
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
The OP's made very good points which I can relate to. And kudos to the civilized arguments presented to the contrary!

"Track car" means different things to different people. Some say that's a stripped-out Miata or maybe E46. Others say that's a retired Cup or Radical. Reality is everything in between depending on budget.

I've come full circle myself--starting with a 997.1 RS, tracking a 997.2 RS very, very extensively, moving on to a Cup trainer and then full-fat racing. That's given me the perspective to see from the OP's POV. But I also know that without the street cars in our formative years, few of us would've progressed to piloting full-bore track machines with zero humor whatsoever.

The GT3 (streetcar) is a necessary gateway drug. The "Track Car" moniker is probably half marketing gimmick and half truth... the product *is* track-capable, definitely more so than other cars within a 75%–150% price range. Admittedly I'm also among those sillies who find it cool to drive a track-capable car for grocery duty

I'm quite thankful that Porsche made the GT3 product and marketed it the way they did. Without it, I don't think I'd be half as deep into the brand and into racing today. (Then again, I could've had a much healthier piggy bank in that alternate universe!!)
Some thoughts:
Very well said CRex, "trackable street cars" are what brought most of us to the track at first
GT3/RS/GT4 are ones of the few very good at it
True that they are getting fatter/biger with every version though...
Back in the days, my very light (compared to GT cars) Supercharged Elise was as fun as a GT3 on the track, as reliable and much much cheaper to run... A little slower though.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2018, 01:49 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Some thoughts:
Back in the days, my very light (compared to GT cars) Supercharged Elise was as fun as a GT3 on the track, as reliable and much much cheaper to run... A little slower though.
Cheers
You should check out their range now. Almost everything is 400hp+. They are absolutely bonkers.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:12 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

YES!!!! We can all agree that the 991 GT3 is not the "Best" Track Car ever made, assuming "Best" is defined as "Fastest", and I think we can all
agree that the GT3 is not the "Best" "Grand Touring" Car ever made if "Grand Touring" is defined as "Most Comfortable, Quiet and Smooth Riding."

But to this highly experienced Sportscar Reviewer, after testing and driving the 991.1 GT3, he concluded it was the "Best Sportscar" he had ever driven.
After driving, owning, racing and instructing in many dozens of competing Sports Cars on Road and Track, over 5 decades, including owning several
dozen different 911 Models since it was introduced to the USA in 1966, I heartily agree with the Reviewer.

IMHO, the 991 GT3 is simply the "BEST SPORTSCAR" EVER BUILT. And my definition is in accordance with the original Description that defines a
"Sportscar" as being EQUALLY. proficient on the Road and on the Track. While not the "MOST COMFORTABLE" for touring, nor the "FASTEST"
on the Track, it provides a sufficiently high level of performance on both venues with Reliability, Speed, Comfort, Efficiency and Modest operating costs
that no other car has matched. This makes it the most satisfying and enjoyable car I have ever owned. If I could only own ONE car, it would be a 991 GT3.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:22 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^yup like I said Spense , "pound for pounding best deal around and can't be beat "

such a veteran experienced conclusion Hip Hip Hooray so glad to hear it today!
Old 04-17-2018, 03:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

I think it's also necessary to define "which" track before saying that the GT3 isn't a great track car. On a short/slow/technical track commonly found in the Western US, my hotrod '73 911 that weighs 1,200 pounds less than my GT3 is a better choice in many respects and difficult to improve upon for a street legal car in terms of fun.

But on Porsche's "home" track of the Nordschleife, I can't imagine a much better choice than a .2 GT3. That track is so fast, that I would never feel comfortable or safe in my 45 year old 911 (and Power to Weight Ratio starts to mean less than pure Power and aero when the speeds get high). The GT3 feels utterly at home in that environment - it does not feel too heavy or too soft there - it feels perfectly matched and balanced
Old 04-17-2018, 03:45 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think it's also necessary to define "which" track before saying that the GT3 isn't a great track car. On a short/slow/technical track commonly found in the Western US, my hotrod '73 911 that weighs 1,200 pounds less than my GT3 is a better choice in many respects and difficult to improve upon for a street legal car in terms of fun.

But on Porsche's "home" track of the Nordschleife, I can't imagine a much better choice than a .2 GT3. That track is so fast, that I would never feel comfortable or safe in my 45 year old 911 (and Power to Weight Ratio starts to mean less than pure Power and aero when the speeds get high). The GT3 feels utterly at home in that environment - it does not feel too heavy or too soft there - it feels perfectly matched and balanced
So true. Horses for courses.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Anyone who merely "tracks" a cup car is a fool with too much money.
Or maybe they aren’t foolish, and don’t have too much $. Maybe they take comfort knowing they are safer in the Cup than they are in any street car. And in the case of a 996 Cup they can be into the car for less than half the price of a new GT3street car, allowing for a lot of extra $ for transport, storage, running costs.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

well said!!!

Quick Reply: My potentially unpopular thoughts on the GT3 as track car