Sponsored by:

My potentially unpopular thoughts on the GT3 as track car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Interesting thread, and point of view.

I have yet to track my new car as I am assiduously putting in the break in miles. My previous track toy was a 996 C4S, suspension modified for track duty. Now, THAT was a big, fat, heavy car, AWD to boot. BUT, and a very big BUT, I had a TON of fun on the track with it. So I expect to have MORE fun with the GT3.

So, I reiterate the question previously asked. What track weapon are you comparing it to? If you are comparing it to any other street car for the track, like the AMG GTR for example, I think the GT3 is superior and I would have to disagree with you. If you are comparing it to an Atom, a Radical, a Cup car, or any other non-street worthy car, then I have to agree with you.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:20 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

OP: I get your POV.

My two cents - everything is a compromise once you try to develop something that can be used on both the street and track. I haven't driven a .2 GT3 but I can say that my .1 RS was the best blend of both that I ever drove. For now I've moved on from that and split the baby in to a Radical and a C2S which is working for me now. But if I went back to a dual threat car I'm pretty certain a .2 GT3 or RS would be the choice. It's damn good.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Most people who drive cup cars/any factory built effort view cars like this differently, and maybe why there is so much back and forth about the capabilities of road cars on a track...for this exact reason haha. These cars are road cars that can be fun on a track, save a few shining examples. At the end of the day though, as long as everyone enjoys the cars they have it's all good!
Old 04-16-2018, 12:48 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I race a 2275# spec miata and I don't think the weight, presence of abs, or even presence of esc takes away from the GT3 being a fantastic track car.
A track car only needs to serve 2 purposes:

1). It's fun
2). It's reliable

GT3 succeeds in both. The weight of the car is indiscernible to me unlike in a camaro or mustang. The active suspension is as stiff as I would want it to be given that it runs on street tires. I think you are confusing race car with track car. I make a distinction between the two. If you want a 'race car' feel, then you need to get a cup. GT3 isn't a race car. It's a track car. You don't need to trailer it. It is street legal. You can drive it comfortably home. You can drive it anywhere you want.

Where will you find 1/2 ton of weight savings on this car if it will be street legal? Not possible. You are asking for a cup car.
I think the same way
Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Compared to what?

-Not big and heavy compared to whatever else is in the showroom now that's dependable and you can daily drive.
-A track car that's street legal is a compromise in general?
-Why wouldn't staying over 4000rpm in any condition on track be an issue? You should never be under 6K?
-What's the ABS issue?

half a ton isn't going to happen unless you go back in time.

Maybe you need a pre 1990 911?
Times before the smart phone were "better" some can, some can't.
I think it was very well said by "orthojoe" that he is confusing race car with track car.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:08 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

the OP originally was horrified that you could not disable ABS - that is his issue…

I agree with the OP - the GT3 is not a race car - to expect otherwise is simply foolish.

but it is one of the best sports cars for the track - if not the best, and still an awesome street car.

I chalk the whole thing up to confused expectations. It's not a race car, and wasn't designed to be a race car.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:26 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to drive back and forth to a occasional track day, Porsche GT cars are hands down the best all around option you can buy. You are correct with a lot of your points and criticisms but again its a street car first. Not everyone here has had opportunity to drive a proper race car around a track, so for them the GT3 is the ultimate "track weapon".
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

There will be, at least, 3 variables on taking a POV.
One, is comparing it with which other car ...
Two, it is not an exact science and it is more of a personal opinion and preference.
Three, purpose of the car in question.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

I tracked a 991 4.0 cup car about a month ago for the first time.

Orange/black car and that's me in the blue with the huge grin on my face.

It really gave me a perspective on what the differences are between a true race car and track capable street car, that's why now I look at tracking street cars more as a fun diversion to see what's in them rather than a true indication of ultimate performance. That's also why I decided that moving forward I'll either buy a cup car or rent seat time in one whenever I really want to push myself and for the feel of exhilaration.

That said, I don't think there is a brand out there that manages to get as much race car into a street legal car mrs than Porsche, in both performance and reliability, in the GT3 and more so in the RS variants ... but it will never be the same same thing.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:58 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like the OP has a skill set with a few exceptions, most on this forum don't have. I'm sure with some effort he can find a street car a little more challenging to drive.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

good repoer
bur the observation is not new
this is a STREET cruiser than can be used in track. it is NOT a track car per se. once this is understood t does a great job for what it is. if u want a TRACK car, then radical, gt4cs, gt3 cup car. then all questions will be remedied
Old 04-16-2018, 02:14 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

1. Yes, it's heavy, but many racecars are heavy now and I like GT class racing. If one is already towing their street car, then I can understand the argument to get a dedicated race car like a Radical. However, I absolutely love the ability to hop in a car that is comfortable to drive for 8 hours straight and fits tents/bags/luggage, while still being lighter than most of what you see on track at DEs.

2. Yes, it's soft, but they finally fixed that with the new RS. The standard GT3 will accept springs that are 20-30% stiffer and in the GT4 this can be felt. It's a compromise, but not a bad one.

3. Lumpy power compared to what? It's still more linear than most of what's out there.

But just to echo others, it's quick for DE, it's fun, it's comfortable, it's reliable!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:30 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Agree with OPs points - all makes sense, and the car is still extremely good for what it is. The only thing I disagree with is power curve - it's very predictable in the target range, and below 4500RPM, given 9000RPM redline and close gears, is essentially being off by 2-3 gears. I do not see that happening often if at all during lapping, and GT3 is not suitable for wheel to wheel racing anyway.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

But but but..... it's still one of the fastest and least powerful cars to hit up an amazingly low Ring time.

So yeah..... the consumer production GT3.2 street car is a lameduck track car.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...cords/?slide=1

Old 04-16-2018, 02:33 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^Soulsea what smile ! and concur your POV ; What a thrill it would be one day for me to be lapping in a cup car . Better I don't light that pipe with my present fiscal condition .

IMO: Porsche delivers pound for pounding the most dependable value dollar for dollar car that can handle pretty much continual track thrashing needing
only to stop for gas and rubber to carry on . Doubt that many, if any here, could out endure Porsche's current street GT cars on track .

who gives a rats a** about performance under 4500rpm's , i need all my patience for the oil to come to temp to get past that # when I get in the car , maybe that's the plugin feature I need .

Last edited by R.Deacon; 04-16-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: My potentially unpopular thoughts on the GT3 as track car