RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Peter: The only one that is going to pass you in a 3RS.II is you.
^Amen to that.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 126 Posts

Do the monoball (rose joint) suspension arms in the .2RS contribute to the better lap times?

Also the updated PASM and RWS software tuning should also help. Not easily replicated in the .1RS
Old 04-17-2018, 03:31 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I'm amazed at the hostile reaction by most. Are people actually rooting that the ring time is slower? Is it not awesome what Porsche has been able to do?

And anyone who thinks they know just adding tires and suspension will make a .1rs a few seconds slower is hilarious. Until you get hands on a .2rs and make those .1rs upgrades, you are just purely speculating. Because I'm guessing you could ALSO make the .2rs perform better with future after-market mods. Oem to oem, this is an incredible feat Porsche pulled off and as Porsche-o-files, we should all love this. NA 2wd sub 7 sec ring time. Who else can claim that?
no, people aren't hoping the time is slower but are trying to figure exactly how the car has managed such a quantum leap in performance. 25 seconds improvement on the face of it is massive, large to the point it seems improbable tbh. You simply just don't magic up that kind of chassis improvement no matter what people say about all the (small) changes on the .2 adding up. The track is faster (that's not in question) and quite possibly the tyre has had a huge jump if the Cup2 R was used. I don't see how it's at all unreasonable to wonder what the .1 on the same tyre now would have done to really show what the chassis improvement is worth.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:34 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I'm amazed at the hostile reaction by most. Are people actually rooting that the ring time is slower? Is it not awesome what Porsche has been able to do?

And anyone who thinks they know just adding tires and suspension will make a .1rs a few seconds slower is hilarious. Until you get hands on a .2rs and make those .1rs upgrades, you are just purely speculating. Because I'm guessing you could ALSO make the .2rs perform better with future after-market mods. Oem to oem, this is an incredible feat Porsche pulled off and as Porsche-o-files, we should all love this. NA 2wd sub 7 sec ring time. Who else can claim that?
Lamborghini will probably make an attempt with the rumoured upcoming Huracán Superleggera (which would be great, competition is good).
Old 04-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Wind911
Do the monoball (rose joint) suspension arms in the .2RS contribute to the better lap times?

Also the updated PASM and RWS software tuning should also help. Not easily replicated in the .1RS
no, not direct impact on car (in itself) performance, rose joints contribute just to more precision...easen driver's input and enhance the output and he will get more from the car, so yes...indirectly contribute to better lap times.

same for revised RWS software, car is more agile and more stable in the meantime

weight saving is important, compared to .1 car is 6kg lighter 'apples to apples' plus 30kg further thanks to WP, for a total of 36kg diet of which 13 unsprung mass (magnesium wheels)

just to give more reliability to my words, I had the chance to try the GT2RS of a friend of mine during a trackday in Imola 10 days ago, after stopping my GT3RS I jumped into the "widow maker", so in a perfect situation to do a comparison, well.. I found a more agile car than mine while being more stable, I found a more compliant car than mine (probably thanks to helper springs since I got the same impression when I passed from 997.1 GT3 to 997.2 4.0), the improvement on the suspension side is tangible, with reflections both on handling and traction where ground is not perfect, the combination of suspension work and more aggressive LSD helps the driver accelerate earlier, surprisingly the body rolls more...don't ask me why since me too expected a more extreme set-up, don't know whether carbon sway bars or dampers mitigate the effect of stiffer springs but definitively rolls more...this helps driver in understanding better the reactions of the car and globally I had the perception of an easier car to drive compared to 3RS (power to manage apart). Steering also is better...more "organic". The weights of the two cars are pretty the same (GT3RS clubsport with PCCB and GT2 RS WP differ for no more than 10 kilos) so what I perceived (if I perceived correctly) is due to chassis changes.
Since .2GT3RS is basically a GT2RS with NA engine, I would expect even a better behaviour of the first one with some kilos less (WP both)

Coming back to .2 improvements on the technical sheet, we have also slightly higher downforce with less drag, probably a more ready braking since they reduced the space between pad and disc, PDK is revised and more aggressive in downshifting (which was too much touristic for my taste in 1st gen), plus other things that I forget actually, plus a lot of minor things that they don't mention but all summed up give something.
Engine is better, more hp, more torque, more revs...help being always in a more optimal range compared to .1 both when upshifting and downshifting (and going on the gas).

Having said this, I expect a perfect car to drive (where the .1 was almost perfect) and I'm not so much surprised by the 'exploit' at Ring...if we take into account the external conditions (better than ideal) and the tyre factor.

Last edited by Dante; 04-17-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really interesting comments there about the 2rs Dante, much appreciated for the writeup.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:02 PM
bammb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Dante
Old 04-17-2018, 07:36 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Hope the Ring time stands, but something doesn't add up. Ring times for .1 GT3 and .1 RS was 5 seconds. Difference between the two cars. RS had +25 hp and better aero. New RS has + 20 hp and better aero over .2 Gt3 that results in 16 seconds difference. New GT2 RS better than new RS by 11 seconds, but GT2 has +180 hp better aero, and turbo torque. Huh? Either GT2 RS not putting it down, or .2 GT3 RS batting way above its league. I'll wait for official Porsche results.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:38 PM
Boxers12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Difference between RS.1 and .2 is not surprising to me based mainly on the difference in the engine. My experience on track (I drive a wolf single seat) is that the new GT3 motor is so much better than the GT3RS.1. In straights I can pull away from old GT3 and GT3RS.1. The new GT3 I cannot, in fact it pulls me in long straights. (In the turns a totally different issue) The torque range on new motor is amazing and I also believe the HP on both GT3 and new RS .2 is underrated. When you add this to all the other tweeks to the new RS it makes sense.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Tires are adding 10% to 13% more mechanical grip. Higher cornering speed + better traction when back on grip is giving the higher speed in the straight. Take a look at last weekend's F1 race to see what a difference tires can make.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Interesting video on the GT3 RS run at the Ring from Misha

Old 04-18-2018, 12:40 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Hope the Ring time stands, but something doesn't add up. Ring times for .1 GT3 and .1 RS was 5 seconds. Difference between the two cars. RS had +25 hp and better aero. New RS has + 20 hp and better aero over .2 Gt3 that results in 16 seconds difference. New GT2 RS better than new RS by 11 seconds, but GT2 has +180 hp better aero, and turbo torque. Huh? Either GT2 RS not putting it down, or .2 GT3 RS batting way above its league. I'll wait for official Porsche results.
What doesn't hold?
Much better suspension and handling, lighter car, much better engine, like someone said, the 991.2 gt3 pulls on an 991.1 RS like the RS is broken, this engine has 30hp on the gt3.
MUCH better tires, better aero with less drag, track is a lot faster since the lap record of .1 rs. And to top it of, lap of the .1 RS wasn't that clean.
Don't really see anything weird here.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:51 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante
no, not direct impact on car (in itself) performance, rose joints contribute just to more precision...easen driver's input and enhance the output and he will get more from the car, so yes...indirectly contribute to better lap times.

same for revised RWS software, car is more agile and more stable in the meantime

weight saving is important, compared to .1 car is 6kg lighter 'apples to apples' plus 30kg further thanks to WP, for a total of 36kg diet of which 13 unsprung mass (magnesium wheels)

just to give more reliability to my words, I had the chance to try the GT2RS of a friend of mine during a trackday in Imola 10 days ago, after stopping my GT3RS I jumped into the "widow maker", so in a perfect situation to do a comparison, well.. I found a more agile car than mine while being more stable, I found a more compliant car than mine (probably thanks to helper springs since I got the same impression when I passed from 997.1 GT3 to 997.2 4.0), the improvement on the suspension side is tangible, with reflections both on handling and traction where ground is not perfect, the combination of suspension work and more aggressive LSD helps the driver accelerate earlier, surprisingly the body rolls more...don't ask me why since me too expected a more extreme set-up, don't know whether carbon sway bars or dampers mitigate the effect of stiffer springs but definitively rolls more...this helps driver in understanding better the reactions of the car and globally I had the perception of an easier car to drive compared to 3RS (power to manage apart). Steering also is better...more "organic". The weights of the two cars are pretty the same (GT3RS clubsport with PCCB and GT2 RS WP differ for no more than 10 kilos) so what I perceived (if I perceived correctly) is due to chassis changes.
Since .2GT3RS is basically a GT2RS with NA engine, I would expect even a better behaviour of the first one with some kilos less (WP both)

Coming back to .2 improvements on the technical sheet, we have also slightly higher downforce with less drag, probably a more ready braking since they reduced the space between pad and disc, PDK is revised and more aggressive in downshifting (which was too much touristic for my taste in 1st gen), plus other things that I forget actually, plus a lot of minor things that they don't mention but all summed up give something.
Engine is better, more hp, more torque, more revs...help being always in a more optimal range compared to .1 both when upshifting and downshifting (and going on the gas).

Having said this, I expect a perfect car to drive (where the .1 was almost perfect) and I'm not so much surprised by the 'exploit' at Ring...if we take into account the external conditions (better than ideal) and the tyre factor.
White or red one by chance? Might have seen you on the track and well said, thanks for sharing your input.

I agree with isv that 25 sec just seems like a quantum leap from .1 to .2 taken on its face without more. Not bashing/discrediting the .2 3RS, I have no horse in this race, but I'd like a little more substance and dissection/analysis of how/why the .2 was 25 seconds faster which is why I appreciate the discussion here. Regardless it's an impressive accomplishment and feat by the best car company in the world
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
White or red one by chance? Might have seen you on the track and well said, thanks for sharing your input.

I agree with isv that 25 sec just seems like a quantum leap from .1 to .2 taken on its face without more. Not bashing/discrediting the .2 3RS, I have no horse in this race, but I'd like a little more substance and dissection/analysis of how/why the .2 was 25 seconds faster which is why I appreciate the discussion here. Regardless it's an impressive accomplishment and feat by the best car company in the world
Just spoken to journalist who has just driven the .2 RS. It’s a quantum leap.

Last edited by Chris3963; 04-18-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 3RS Ring time..............