Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Touring introduction and testament to the Rennlist family...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 07:52 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Touring introduction and testament to the Rennlist family...

So the story goes like this... Around two months ago I was told that the UK GT3 I had been promised by my OPC was not to be... they basically retreated on their word and written confirmation of an allocation and left me with no GT3... To say I was disappointed is a euphemism.. So in a fit of rage I am about to pull the trigger on a 997.2 RS which I had found in France and looked incredibly clean, as I often do in these cases I happen to have a chat with maxt... who quickly points out that there is a chap on Rennlist actually able to source 2 GT3s, new and without premium.

I quickly find this thread.. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-2-eu-car.html get in touch with jo_ker and out of the 2 cars he had access to I fall immediately for the touring. It's a very very close match to the spec I would have chosen myself (PTS not being available this time in the UK anyways..). So a deal is quickly agreed on paper and after a few back and forth I tell my wife I will spend the following Monday in Austria to check out a car...

Plane is taken, VW Tiguan car is rented and after a quick journey at night in Austria with snow still on the side of the roads I meet this extraordinary character who is jo_ker. Of course.. buying a car over a forum is not exactly something you do every day.. so at the beginning I was a bit apprehensive.. but after meeting a genuine even more crazy petrolhead than me.. I was quickly reassured. And the legendary Austrian hospitality only helped to confirm this feeling.

The following day after a good Austrian breakfast we headed to see the car.. which was indeed in the process of getting PDI'd by the dealer. Indeed 0 km, indeed the spec we had talked about. Indeed everything matched. That was the last time i were to see the car for a long time.. pictures taken, glances exchanged. Payment arranged. Transporter arrived to pick-up the car 2 days later. Legendary guys at Menabue-Menabez.. (again a recommendation from good old maxt).

Car was delivered to the UK less than a week later. PTS had to be installed for insurance reasons.. but then the nightmare of paperwork started. Maybe it was me importing the vehicle for the first time.. but basically everything seemed to take forever.. when in reality the UK authorities have been actually quite effective and quick. If only I had done all my prep work better then it would have saved me a good couple of weeks. That said.. after a good month of the car waiting, getting PPF'd and protected by Elite Detailing aka EDP in London (superb job by the way as usual...)... car was ready for pick-up last Friday..

I immediately took it for a drive but with London Friday traffic I quickly gave up, following day I ventured for the countryside and managed to get some miles in.. approx 200.

First impressions, but again really limited, as you can guess from the ridiculous mileage :

- Sound is immediately more immersive than my 991.1 GT3. Even only approaching 4k RPM you can feel it's going to be immense
- It feels firm.. people say it's more supple than the .1 but this one feels definitely firmer than my (much missed) Speciale when in bumpy road setting
- The roads in the UK are atrocious. I think they are aiming to get them to the same level of developing countries
- Steering... hmmm too early to tell
- Gearbox.. once warmed it's a delight with superb shift action, positive, firm.. i love it. Clutch is lighter than I expected, and for me it's all positive. Am not of the school of hard motorsport clutch to feel manly. This is a road-car and I welcome a manageable clutch. 100pct.
- Am already addicted to the sport button in town and low speeds, it auto-revs beautifully even when you just gently braking and heel-toe action would be extremely difficult to achieve with smooth braking.
- New infotainment system looks ok but haven't tried it.
- Love my spec so far, the red and black work all round, red dials which at the beginning were a bit marmite.. just blend and I didnt notice them anymore. Actually in low-light I kinda like them now.

So all-in obviously positive, I need more time with the car. It's nowhere near as attention seeking as my RED-Nart Speciale, nor of my Voodoo blue .1 ... it blends in and very very few ppl recognise it as a special 911.. which I guess is good and bad.. probably mostly good as people leave you alone. You probably equally feel a bit less special around it (Speciale is another dimension with ridiculous levels all around to drool over...) but then you get in and drive it and forget all about it..

So here it is.. brief impressions in a run-in period which is going to be agony as I usually respect it. I will follow AP schedule (So 0-500 at 4k then gradually build it up...).

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexpenfold/, on Flickr

More pics and impressions to come.. am taking it out of town for a spin this weekend.

Thanks again to jo_ker, maxt and Elite Detail for the help in getting this bad girl in my garage...

Last edited by rosino; 04-16-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:29 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 931 Likes on 534 Posts

congratulations , looks great
Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

The stories like this always make it so much better. Very cool! Congrats!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:26 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Great stuff buddy! Jo-ker been a real legend, I've just been a messenger!!
Let's get your Touring and my R together now!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:07 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by rosino
...Of course.. buying a car over a forum is not exactly something you do every day.. so at the beginning I was a bit apprehensive.. but after meeting a genuine even more crazy petrolhead than me.. I was quickly reassured...
Buying from a forum member really adds to the experience, and in many ways can be even more reassuring based on their past forum contributions.

Great story, the thrill of the experience and your joy for the car really come through. The adventure begins!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Received 364 Likes on 158 Posts

Amazing shots! Alex Penfold is one of the greats out there. Car looks absolutely incredible. Wouldn't change a thing about the spec! Congrats and enjoy.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:19 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Sound to me that Jo-ker - is "No Joke".

Good to see Rennlisters helping one and another.

Good luck with the car- Enjoy

Trending Topics

Old 04-13-2018, 01:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Jo_ker FTW!

Man, that spec with dark wheels and red accents I would have never believed to look that hot.
Very nice!
Old 04-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Juli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 04-13-2018, 02:39 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Beautiful spec. Congrats!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Love my Touring. For me, it is the ultimate daily driver from any manufacturer.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:31 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

OP, jo_ker (KO) is a cool guy. He's actually flying over to join us for Smokies GT in a couple of weeks. He's been super friendly and we preparing to welcome him stateside.
Glad everything worked out for you eventually and that you're enjoying the car.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean that PTS had to be installed for insurance reasons? Is this car LHD? What were your reasons for not going to Topaz Detailing?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:45 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I meant porsche VTS. The tracking system. My brain just auto-typed PTS because I Was obsessing about which colour to go for when I was still convinced I would get one on order ;-)

Here’s a few more pictures.

Re the detailing I have used Topaz for the GT3 .1 and my M2 and have always been happy with the service and treated well. But this one I wanted Gurcharn (https://www.instagram.com/elitedetailer/?hl=en) to do as I’ve known him for years and he looks after me very well. I can strongly recommend him. Sunday it rained and the water would just bead beautifully even on the ppf covered areas. It feels like a ceramic plate :-)

Amazing drive in the countryside. Managed to avoid all the nasty (and believe me some are outright dangerous) potholes and made the most out of the sun we had. Gearbox feeling better and better.

Ride remains firm but at speed is beautifully taught. Front end as pointy and planted as always. And the noise when I ventured towards 4K really feels special... according to AP recommendations now that I am at 800km I could start opening up a bit towards 6k rpm. So will be doing that gently.

Last edited by rosino; 04-16-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 AM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you take a left hand drive car from Austria? Assume you had a right had on order originally.

Quick Reply: New Touring introduction and testament to the Rennlist family...