Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track weekend in new 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Just got back from PSDS at Barber and it is an amazing track. Can only imagine how awesome it is in a new GT3.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:06 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

manitou202 ^ have confidence in your experience , keep your wits about you no doubt , and allow your right foot to control your comfort level , then push a touch more to learn . we are a lucky bunch to have the success to get to this playground sporting such a great car .!!

Last edited by R.Deacon; 04-12-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:07 PM
GT3PDL
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I was the comparably spec'd .2 GT3 that was there with you this past weekend, I don't think our cars had many differences other than color and really liked your GBM. It was also my first time out in the new GT3 and I agree that it was a bit more of a handful than I initially expected, but what a joy and amazing car it is. If it makes you feel any better, Barber is my home track too and I have logged thousands of laps there, just not in a rear engine car, mostly in a track prep'd C6 Z06 which I still have and enjoy. The new GT3 definitely demands a level of respect from the driver, but like you, I look forward to attempting to master the car to the best of my ability in the time to come. Don't give up on it and I hope to see back out there soon.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:17 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3PDL
I was the comparably spec'd .2 GT3 that was there with you this past weekend, I don't think our cars had many differences other than color and really liked your GBM. It was also my first time out in the new GT3 and I agree that it was a bit more of a handful than I initially expected, but what a joy and amazing car it is. If it makes you feel any better, Barber is my home track too and I have logged thousands of laps there, just not in a rear engine car, mostly in a track prep'd C6 Z06 which I still have and enjoy. The new GT3 definitely demands a level of respect from the driver, but like you, I look forward to attempting to master the car to the best of my ability in the time to come. Don't give up on it and I hope to see back out there soon.
Thanks! By the time I left on Sunday I was feeling a lot better than I did on Saturday. Chi can tell you, I was pretty quick in my GT4, so it was both humbling and unfamiliar to feel inadequate in the car. But I embrace the suck and look so very forward to playing some cat-and-mouse with you out there once I get my rear-engine track legs steady underneath me!

Last edited by JRidge; 04-12-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:55 PM
gan1hck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRidge
Thanks! By the time I left on Sunday I was feeling a lot better than I did on Saturday. Chi can tell you, I was pretty quick in my GT4, so it was both humbling and unfamiliar to feel inadequate in the car. But I embrace the suck and look so very forward to playing some cat-and-mouse with you out there where I get my rear-engine track legs steady underneath me!
Good read!!! And this is Chi...and yes...Julius is no slouch!!!

Also, I'm the guy with the "old" 991.1 GT3 drooling over the new rides!

Can't wait to get out there and drive with you guys again.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:54 PM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Boys - you have inspired me to have the courage to take my GT3 on the track. Some serious technical drivers/driving that is mega impressive. Great perspective.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:11 PM
sattman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys at the skill level where you turn off traction control when on the track?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:17 PM
gan1hck
Advanced

I keep my nannies turned off.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:27 PM
GT3PDL
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Chi has big kahunas and is an impressive driver. I leave all my nannies turned on, at least until I get to know the car better. Last weekend Chi was behind me going through turn 2 and I could practically see him out of my passenger window for a brief moment. Not sure if it was me or the nannies that saved it, but I sure am glad they were on.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:35 PM
gan1hck
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT3PDL
Chi has big kahunas and is an impressive driver. I leave all my nannies turned on, at least until I get to know the car better. Last weekend Chi was behind me going through turn 2 and I could practically see him out of my passenger window for a brief moment. Not sure if it was me or the nannies that saved it, but I sure am glad they were on.
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm still trying to catch Jad with his red 991.1....but then he will be driving a 991.2 soon.

Might have to trade up🤣
Old 04-12-2018, 05:37 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sattman
Are you guys at the skill level where you turn off traction control when on the track?
no , I highly discourage that , when guys driving over their head , cold tires, cold car , cold driver goes out blazing w/nannies off results often not a pretty
out come . This has a happened numerous times at Daytona and Sebring PBIR. I can out run most all RS cars with Trakcar being an exception at Sebring
with total stock set-up (mods---- Pads , fluid , SW , track alignment ) with all nannies always on in PDK paddle mode seating in my sofa turning 2:18's -2:19s
recently forced off track onto lawn , next session fluid antifreeze /OIl? under the bridge in T 17 @ sebring and elsewhere and I needed all the help possible to keep the car on the hard
off the armco / wall . I have felt the only times nannies have held me back cause the nut in the left seat was lose . Just my experience .

Last edited by R.Deacon; 04-13-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I left nannies on for first time out, and every time they intervened I got distracted by it and tried to make some sort of (probably unnecessary) adjustment. Hard to tell in every case whether they are saving me or just interfering, but I suspect the latter, as it's consistently the same 2 spots on the track where the contours and elevation make the rear end especially light. It's good to know that those spots are there and drive accordingly but once I'm a little more comfortable with how the car will respond I'd like to do away with the interference and turn them off.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:00 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the very nice post, and sharing your fears, challenges, and joys with the GT3.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:40 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

@JRidge: Thanks for posting this ! It is sooooo recognizable. I have many of the same feelings, thoughts and doubts. Coming from a mere C2 in which I had full confidence, the GT3 is a big learning curve for me. It obviously takes a very well versed driver to get the most of this car ! I'm not there yet, much to learn !
Old 04-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by sattman
Not me. I imagine that if I ever get to a point where I feel like the nannies are holding me back somehow then I might CONSIDER turning them off, but so far in my Boxster any time they did anything it was to bail me out.

I took a friend out for a session and he laughed and referred to my driving as "electronixing" around the track.

Quick Reply: First track weekend in new 991.2 GT3