Sponsored by:

Break in Fallacy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:48 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Break in Fallacy?

So the dealer and the GT mechanic both said "you don't need a break in period with this GT3".....to drive it and not worry about the rpm's.......who else was told this? I'd prefer to go by the book, if there is a book........(tried to post similar earlier but don't think it worked)
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by wanesso
So the dealer and the GT mechanic both said "you don't need a break in period with this GT3".....to drive it and not worry about the rpm's.......who else was told this? I'd prefer to go by the book, if there is a book........(tried to post similar earlier but don't think it worked)
There are multiple threads on this and there is no empirical data if it matters. One must do what gives he/she their own piece of mind. I do not think gunning any thing brand new the best advise. Take it easy for a couple full tanks of gas and then you should be fine.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:34 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
There are multiple threads on this and there is no empirical data if it matters. One must do what gives he/she their own piece of mind. I do not think gunning any thing brand new the best advise. Take it easy for a couple full tanks of gas and then you should be fine.
I can live with that, sounds reasonable.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:49 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 1,766 Posts

If I remember correctly the European versions do not recommend/require a break in period - anyone wish to confirm or flame me to correct this?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:52 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I was at PSDS a couple weeks ago - great fleet of P-cars they have you drive, all new - I think the most miles on any of the cars I drove was ~2K miles

i asked one of the instructors about "break in" - they said no need...

meh, who knows?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

^ I believe you are correct. They just do not mention break-in where as they do in the States. Could have to do with the Lawyers ect here in the States.

Break-in has much to do with the tires, brakes and other things as it has to do with engine. A new set of tires can be very slick.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Ran with a guy at Lime Rock with a new .2 GT3 (PDK) and asked him about his break-in process. He said he's had multiple GT Porsches and his break-in process consisted of going through TWO full tanks of gas and then done! Never had an issue...
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Warm up carefully - cool down carefully. The first time and every time.
Staying 1000RPM under the limiter for 500 miles cant hurt.

I didn't quite make it to 500 miles, but @ 27,000 miles, it has stopped using oil and runs fine.
All oil analysis reports are OK.
Just add spark plugs every 4-6000 miles - 12,000 miles is too much.

All mileage +/- 50% Track miles.

Just my 0.02C feed back.
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Given that brakes, suspension, transmission and engine are all new and working together for the first time it probably makes sense to do a gradual break in. I drove mine like a baby for the first 500 miles and then stepped things up a bit every 100 miles. I also changed the oil at 1000 miles just because always do this on my new cars. I am now at 1600 miles and have recently begun to let her rip. Adding a new center exhaust tomorrow to ensure the car sounds as good as it drives.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:30 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
If I remember correctly the European versions do not recommend/require a break in period - anyone wish to confirm or flame me to correct this?

I don't know what it says in the 991.2 GT3 UK manual, but here's the break-in section from the 991.1 version.

UK 991.1 GT3 owners Manual

Last edited by alpine-al; 04-11-2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: I inserted the wrong excerpt. This is now the UK version
Old 04-11-2018, 04:30 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this topic has been covered numerous times, and people have heard different things.

For reference/perspective:

1. At PEC LA and Atlanta, all GT3, GT3 RS go through a 1500 mile break in period. The instructors were instructed by the headquarters to require the complete break in period before letting the first customers drive it. Since PEC cars are not registered for road, they can only put on the miles inside the facility on the circuit. Instructors rotate through "on duty" hours everyday to put on the miles, it takes over a week to put the miles on one GT car, this is why sometimes it takes awhile for new GT cars to be available for normal consumers to "experience" after it had landed. I was the first to drive a particular GT3 at PEC and it had right over 1500 miles. Although sometimes they do get it out a little early due to prior scheduling, delays and etc.

2. At factory tour in Germany, I asked couple engineers about this, and they suggested that the way the engine is built on the 4.0 engine, it is much more important to do the proper break in on this particular engine than the normal engines (3.8, 3.0 etc). They suggest me to do it.

Just what I've seen and heard but you should decide for yourself
Old 04-11-2018, 04:48 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^hey there some valuable info , nice .
I respected break in , always warm up oil , never drove in pdk auto ,( thing skips up thru the gears lugging ), didn't run up over 7k rpm's till 2k on the O
and only briefly over 5k rpm in first 1k
just did 24k dealer service which was oil change # 7 all oil samples similar and good, very low ppm particulates .
motor very strong and seems freer spinning up
Old 04-11-2018, 04:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
I know this topic has been covered numerous times, and people have heard different things.

For reference/perspective:

1. At PEC LA and Atlanta, all GT3, GT3 RS go through a 1500 mile break in period. The instructors were instructed by the headquarters to require the complete break in period before letting the first customers drive it. Since PEC cars are not registered for road, they can only put on the miles inside the facility on the circuit. Instructors rotate through "on duty" hours everyday to put on the miles, it takes over a week to put the miles on one GT car, this is why sometimes it takes awhile for new GT cars to be available for normal consumers to "experience" after it had landed. I was the first to drive a particular GT3 at PEC and it had right over 1500 miles. Although sometimes they do get it out a little early due to prior scheduling, delays and etc.

2. At factory tour in Germany, I asked couple engineers about this, and they suggested that the way the engine is built on the 4.0 engine, it is much more important to do the proper break in on this particular engine than the normal engines (3.8, 3.0 etc). They suggest me to do it.

Just what I've seen and heard but you should decide for yourself
Good stuff Mystery man.
So, you mean the new 4.0 with the differences from the old 991.1RS 4.0 wants perhaps a little more break in?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Since the financial onus for repairs is on Porsche for the first four years, what do you expect them to say? Generally Porsche GT cars are not DD cars. To wait 2000 miles (for me about six months) before experiencing what you paid for seems a little excessive to me.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:33 PM
StealthGT3
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

2 tanks of gas and you are good to go.
As per GT3 CUP mechanic.

Quick Reply: Break in Fallacy?