Sponsored by:

Light Weight Battery for .2 GT3???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Voltphreaks developed a bracket that is 2.4 lbs. With the bracket you are looking at 8 lbs total. Thats a 35-40lb weight saving over stock.
That's good to know. ( Their battery is 8.2 lbs plus the 2.4 lbs bracket)The Braille is 10-11 lbs but depending where you live is important as I mentioned above.

I had mine in my GT4 and moved it to my .2. It has worked flawless for over 2.5 years now. I keep it on a trickle charger in the Winter while I store it.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:47 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I think 35-40lbs. I recall my Braille was a 25 lbs savings which is significant if you ever picked up a 25 lbs weight at the gym
Stock battery is actually 51.5 lbs. So your weight savings is 45 lbs by swapping to Voltphreke.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Stock battery is actually 51.5 lbs. So your weight savings is 45 lbs by swapping to Voltphreke.
Wow!!!- good to know stock is 51.5. That is one heavy MF

Like I stated- It does not look like there is any weight difference between the Voltphreak and Braille with the Bracket
Old 04-11-2018, 03:55 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

I made a web inquiry and this is what I got back from Voltphreke:

Hi Chris,

The VPH850 and VPR-P6 is what I'd recommend. Best bang for buck is VPH850, but if you want to use standard PC680 aftermarket battery mounts, and want slightly lighter weight, the VPR-P6 costs more but has that. A comparison chart is here:

http://voltphreaks.com/linked/VoltphreaksPriceList.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

- Tony
Name = Chris
Message = Hello,

I have a 2018 Porsche GT3 and am interested in your battery. I drive the car on average once every 10 days. If I'm gone for a longer period than a week I normally have battery tender on it. What do you recommend is the bast bang for my buck? Many thanks.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Hi all.... This is another timely post for us... We recently signed on as a sponsor for Rennlist roughly a month ago.... we are Antigravity Batteries, all we do is lithium ion batteries and related products. While I have been answering questions on the Rennlist for about a month about lithium batteries, I have been holding off on doing our "Official Introduction" because I wanted to have our kit completely ready... The fact is we are building a drop in kit starting off with the 991's and expanding from there for our lithium batteries (about another 3-4weeks out). I have some pictures and videos that I'll post in a follow up thread but wanted to get a short introduction in.

First off there's a lot of misinformation about lithium batteries out there, and when I post here I will be telling the facts about lithium batteries and the best uses for them and what you should consider when considering a lithium battery. And I will not be trying to overhyped them but I will be explaining the facts and being blunt about what is offered by not only Antigravity and the other brands. Though we are on here as a Vendor and I am selling product, my main intention will be to educate those who are interested so you will be able to make well-informed decision from what I say about them.

To tell a little bit about my company Antigravity Batteries I'm the owner and President, Scott S. We have been around since 2010. We started making LIthium-Ion for Motorcylces and Powersport Vehicles early on and became quite successful in the arena. We then went on to develop a ground breaking product called the MICRO-START, it was the FIRST mini-jump starter. You have probably seen this type of device, there are tons of brands now.... but we were actually the creator of that channel in 2013. Consumer Reports rated our XP-10 model as the #1 Rated Jump-Starter. And about two years ago we introduced our first Automotive Specific Lithium-Ion battery... the RS-20... which has recently been updated to the RS-30 model , which is the game changer for those looking at Lithium-Ion Batteries for their Cars. I will get into that in another thread.

We traditionally have been more on the OFF-ROAD side of things with our Car Batteries... we do alot of Baja Racing and are in a lot of Trophy Trucks in the Lucas Oil Series type stuff. We do alot of bike stuff from World Superbike to Supercross/MX, GNCC and Nitro Boats and more. My point here is, you might not have heard of us... but we are one of the leaders in this segment. We are pretty much developing the most advanced Lithium-Ion Starter Batteries available... This year we now going to push directly toward this market because it is dramtically underserved and the products are NOT very good... though a couple companies DO make a good battery.

So just wanted to say I understand some or many of you have not heard of Antigravity Batteries.....but over the next few posts you will see who we are, and you will see what we offer, and I think you'll be pretty excited. Also, we are not a "new" company looking to try to push a product... we are actually a very seasoned company and over 100 Championships from those using our Lithium Batteries and we just got an 2016 GT3 RS that is our development bed for the Batteries. I've been lurking here for the last 8 months while I was deciding the car I wanted to get...
Old 04-11-2018, 04:40 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Welcome Antigravity. Always good to have new options. Also I am impressed with your current auto battery pricing at $699. Hopefully it doesn't get the Stuttgart marketup!! Look forward to seeing your GT3/GT3RS kit offerings soon.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I hate to replace a perfectly healthy new battery, but easy weight savings is hard to pass up - especially if the price is friendly (hint: Group Buy Pricing for Rennlist )
Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

On this post I want to show you what we are doing with the latest battery we offer the Antigravity Batteries RS-30.. Keep in mind this is our Dedicated Automotive Hi-Performance Battery, you can actually get away with one of our Smaller Batteries from our model line, that weigh less and are much more compact. We offer many different models. But this is the battery that offers a solid Amp Hour Capacity at 30 "REAL" Amp Hours (not a PBEQ rating), it has 1200 Cranking Amps that will rip start a 1000 Horsepower V8 motor (no porsche will need that much power, but it just comes with that many amp hours), the most advanced Battery Management System (BMS) on the Market. Additionally it has all necessary protections for a Lithium battery built-in.... such as Over-Discharge protection, Over-charge protection, Thermal Protection and Cell Balancing. Last, it has our exclusive RE-START Technology that will never leave your stranded because the battery intelligently monitors itself all the time.... and if the Battery is over-discharging it puts itself to SLEEP before becoming over-discharged. This not only saves the lithium cells from damage but also allow you to simply press a button on the Battery, start your car and drive away. So if you accidentally left the keys in the ignition, or lights on, or stored it too long the RS-30 will put itself to sleep with just enough reserve capacity to RE-START your vehicle. Just press the button on top of the Battery and drive away.

Below is our video about the product and I have attached a picture of the Kit we are making to it is a drop in fit for all the 991s and all the cars that use the 70Ah Group 48 size Battery... which is the most the later model Porsches. This kit will allow for the RS-30 to be attached to the CNC'd battery tray and then installed using the typical cleat mount for the Group 48 Battery. You will also notice we have the Top Hold-down bar in the CAD Render below. That is because some Racing Series require a metal hold down for the battery... but in Daily Driver use it will not be needed. For track and race it should be used due to the higher constant vibration levels and use.

I assume I will get questions on this battery, and its comparisons to Braille, which I notice is the Brand most of you know about. Well the fact is the Braille battery is not in the same ballpark at all. For example the Braille I48CE has 25Amp hours. the RS-30 has 30Amp Hours..... The Braille battery has absolutely NO protections and only offers cell balancing so there is no Battery Management System (BMS) on the Braille. While this can and does work fine in performance cars IF you maintain its state of charge and make sure you use thier charger...this is NOT acceptable for Lithium Battery operation in general, all Lithium Batteries should have a BMS for not only safety but long life.

Have a BMS is important because if the battery is over-discharged below 10.5v then the battery cells are damaged. If you over-discharge it into the 5-7v range you are causing a deeper level of damage to the cell where you will lose significant capacity and power. Over-discharge is the killer of batteries be it Lead/Acid or Lithium. The RS-30 cannot be over-discharge at all... ever. So you don't have to worry if you left the battery on a stored vehicle you will not be damaging it, it will just put itself to sleep and you can come back and start the car up to 6 months later. Last the Braille is $1650.00 dollars.... yet has none of the protections that are required for correct Lithium battery performance and longevity. Just blunt facts. So the RS-30 is less than HALF the cost of the Braille, yet has more Amp hours, the correct Battery Management System, and weighs only 11.5 lbs.

The cool thing about the Braille is it is in the exact same size of the Porsche battery... the RS-30 is physically smaller.. and with our drop-in fit tray it mounts in the exact same as a stock Porsche battery and saves a lot more space in that area. We made it smaller intentionally to fit more cars and have easier relocation abilities. So its still a benefit even though its smaller.

If you guys have any questions about Lithium Batteries let me know. I also know a bit about the Parasitic draw on the GT3RS being I have done a ton of testing on it.... and it will apply to most all the 2014 to current models since Porsche has made the current Battery Management system for the 2014 and later model so good at limiting the Parastic draw on batteries.

The following users liked this post:
pride355 (05-03-2021)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

How does Antigravity RS-30 compare to Voltphreaks battery recommended in the beginning of the thread (e.g., VPH850)? That one seems to be much lighter, with the same(?) capacity but lower cranking amps. Is that all the difference? Also, how much of the weight savings is cancelled out by the mounting bracket? Or in other words how heavy is the additional mounting hardware not accounted in the battery weight?
Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
How does Antigravity RS-30 compare to Voltphreaks battery recommended in the beginning of the thread (e.g., VPH850)? That one seems to be much lighter, with the same(?) capacity but lower cranking amps. Is that all the difference? Also, how much of the weight savings is cancelled out by the mounting bracket? Or in other words how heavy is the additional mounting hardware not accounted in the battery weight?
Excuse the long posts I just want you guys clear on Lithium... these are the facts so I have to explain how companies are putting out their ratings.

I will give you some background on Amp Hour capacities, and the way Lithium Companies (including Antigravity on some models) are putting ratings on their batteries so you guys can better understand how the ratings can be severely misinterpreted. The first issue is that Lithium is significantly more powerful in its cranking ability than lead/acid l (cold weather will affect this but I'll get into that another time). So, you can have a much smaller lithium battery that delivers the cranking ability of a 4x larger lead acid battery. But the lead acid battery will have significantly more Amp Hours than the smaller lithium battery. So lithium is much better at starting a vehicle then lead acid, but at the same time it will have significantly less amp hours than Lead/Acid. So they cannot be effectively compared apples to apples.

So in an effort to allow the customer to understand a more apples to apples comparison lithium battery companies started giving a rating in a term called "lead acid equivalent" so they started saying "PbEQ" Capacity.... (Pb= Lead Eq=Equivalent). So you will see the Volt Phreak claim a 31 Amp Hours in their Specs for the VPH850, but that is the PbEQ rating, but the actual "REAL" capacity of that VPH 850 battery is a about 15 Amp hours... and the reason I know this is because of the weight of the battery itself... Voltphreaks say the battery is 6 pounds so I know that a 6 pound Lithium-Iron Phosphate battery can only contain so much energy density, and that equates to roughly 14 or 15 real amp hours if it weighs only 6 lbs. So the claim of 31 amp hours is not accurate whatsoever, but they also have a disclaimer right below their specifications that basically explains they are rating it for a Lead/Acid equivalent. Keep in mind we also make a 6.5 pound battery and it is a real 18Ah.... our ATX-30 and we have a smaller one the ATX-20 that weighs less and is more compact... those batteries are more realistic comaprison to the VPH850. But I'll stick with the RS-30 on comparisons below. Also please note on our AUTOMOTIVE batteries we only rate by the REAL Amp Hours... for example RS-30 is 30 Amp hours that the actual Ah rating... but our Powersport sized batteries.. (which also work fine in cars and are sized like the Volt Phreaks) are rated in PBEQ. So we use both types of ratings.

So if you're comparing the Voltphreak VPH 850 to an RS-30 head to head.... There is absolutely no comparison... I am not blowing smoke and I'm not upselling. The RS 30 is a "real" 30 Amp Hours The VPH 850 is 14-15 "real" Amp Hours. Now in regards to weight the RS-30 battery weighs 5 pounds more han the VPH 850 because it has TWICE the actual capacity in Amp Hours and has twice the actual Power of the VPH. So when you look at the overall picture, twice the capacity means your car can sit twice as long in storage with the RS 30 compared to the VPH 850, or start the car twice as many times. Additionally in cold weather where lithium can have more resistance which creates more sluggish starting performance, the RS-30 would be much much better than a smaller capacity battery because it is twice the size in capacity and power. So with this much difference in capacity and power the VPH 850 is not in the same league as the RS 30...it not a fair comparison whatsoever... but then when you talk about price the RS-30 is about $400.00 dollar LESS..... You get literally twice the performance in the RS-30 it not even a consideration to what you would want to go with....You could better compare our ATX-30 or ATX-20 to the VPH850... and then it just so much more of a value for our similar speced batteries than the VPH850. It becomes a $500 dollar cheaper battery.

Keep in mind... I'm not bashing Voltphreaks at all. They make a fine battery with a good BMS, which is much more than Braille is offering by far. But the technology and pricing and quality have all improved in the last 3 year dramatically...so the $1000 dollar 15 Amp hour battery is not really justified honestly. And a $2400 dollar Lithium or the $4000 dollar Porsche Lithium battery is just deplorable.
pride355 (05-03-2021)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:13 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

How does one "jump start" the car by pushing the button on the battery when one can not open the hood to access the battery when it's asleep? I guess this goes for any lithium battery with this feature. Do you make some type of remote access button that can be wired into the car's cabin? Otherwise, one would need to jump the car in order to even open the frunk to access the battery.

And what is the total weight of the RS-30 with the mounting hardware?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

How about a group Rennlist buy? I'd be interested.
JlewGt3 (03-08-2021)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
count me in
Old 04-11-2018, 08:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'd take 1 or 2 as well depending on the deal :-)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:32 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Yep I'm in too.

Quick Reply: Light Weight Battery for .2 GT3???